Bin Training in the Offseason

mike778

Bin Training in the Offseason

Postby mike778 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Its bit rubbish isn't it ?

Nobody likes plops. We had 1 pop and 2 plops this week. Lets just have a week off in the off-season and then the first coaching off last season will pick up the W14 SOD game so everyone has a 'normal' week in terms of possible games.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and now also manager of the mighty South African national side.

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21
-Short League Champions - S19, S20

lightning

Re: Bin Training in the Offseason

Postby lightning » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:33 pm

I disagree … I did have 7 pops and 0 plops though.

:thumbup:

angeltoast

Postby angeltoast » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:48 am

I agree with Mike. It's a week off, so nothing should happen apart from the system updates.
Lizzie Mills, manager of ...
  • Iceni Cricket Club
  • West Indies national team

Randall

Postby Randall » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:40 pm

I also agree for what it's worth

conradij

Postby conradij » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:14 pm

I think the unanticipated consequences would be quite large as it would change the balance of training and skill deterioration. Only slightly but perhaps signifcantly. For example, if nothing happened this week trainees would take a little longer to reach their potential (14 rather than 15 coaching sessions a season) and older players would stay skillful a little longer (14 rather than 15 skill drops a season).

This could be a good thing but if so it should be part of a deliberate plan to address these rather than due to the annoyance of seeing skills drop / not being able to take a full week break.
Stumped team: Pro Crastinators http://www.stumpedgame.com/club.php?Team=126

Randall

Postby Randall » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:25 pm

That's a good point! I'm an undecided now , there are bigger fish to fry!

mike778

Postby mike778 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:53 pm

Randall wrote:That's a good point! I'm an undecided now , there are bigger fish to fry!

True ... but I would imagine it wouldn't be an earth shatteringly difficult fix.

I'm not sure it would slow youth players development down too much given youth players drop that week due to no DEV game. It would definitely help older players hang on a bit longer. And make people less downbeat when they see all that red. With my team getting on a bit, that week looked worse than ... actually not going there.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and now also manager of the mighty South African national side.

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21
-Short League Champions - S19, S20

Odin

Postby Odin » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:32 pm

As a game mechanic it's good. Having those hasbeens plop makes sense.

As a morale booster for managers it's bad. Very few green, lots more red. Doesn't make people happy.

On balance I like it, but I can see why people might not.

James018

Postby James018 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:08 am

If offseason training were binned I'd like to see skill improvement/decline occur marginally faster, just enough to cover that one missing week per season so the end result is similar. I'm wary of the compounding effects of a seemingly "small" change like this which Conradij pointed out.

It's much like the age-old question of should people get sponsorship income/pay wages during the off-season. In the end, it's what happens over the whole season that matters most, not a single week. I do take Odin's point about the dampener on managers' morale, seeing so few pops/so many plops during the off-season week.

Randall

Postby Randall » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:40 am

what happens in FC cricket these days ? do they train vigorously week in week out during the off season?
Back in the day (even in the 80's and 90's) cricketers had to go find another job. They didn't set foot in the county ground until a couple of weeks beforehand. Mike Gatting would get himself back 'into shape' (well the shape he had during the season!) by some gentle underhand throwing and avoiding the apple pie and custard for a couple of weeks on the MCC menu card!

So there was no training and no salary

Sure someone can inform us what happens in 2019 ...... and then I guess our reality game should look to mirror that

Return to “Suggestions”