Stumped 'Basic'

Zorax

Stumped 'Basic'

Postby Zorax » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:03 am

Stumped is a complicated game. That makes it harder to attract and retain new players.

So what if players had the option to toggle between the existing interface, and a 'basic' interface?

The basic interface would aim to simplify things for new/casual players. Here are some ways it could work:

1) On the squad page and player profiles, it just lumps all skills into 7 big groupings - Stamina, Batting, Bowling, Fielding, Wickekeeping, Experience and Captaincy. Batting and Bowling can be just a summation of the 3 individual skills, with the rest staying as is.

2) The lineup selection page can be modelled to look more like BT, with a list of pre-defined bowling orders the managers can select from, rather than requiring them to set over by over bowling orders+fields.

3) Introduce two new training areas - Bowling general and Batting general - and display these instead of the detailed batting/bowling training options in the basic view. These can be designed to be a slightly inferior option to training each individual skill, and can also be made available in the normal view.

4) Remove the stats when it comes to Youth Pulls. Simply classify players as 'batsman', 'bowler', 'fielder' and 'wicketkeeper'.

5) For the ground, set some pre-defined pitch definitions (green, dry, flat, etc), and use those in the basic view instead of the moisture and pace levels. Still display 'Wear'. This can be like BT as well, where you have the desired pitch and the current pitch, and the level of 'wear' on the pitch can prevent it from reaching the desired condition.
Groundsmen can have both their skills lumped into a single skill too.

6) old style commentary is the default view in basic mode

bigger text can be used when there are less words on the screen, and with less stuff on each page the game should feel less intimidating.

Could also add more images into the basic layout.

I'm sure there are some other areas that can probably be simplified. The point is to have people playing the game the way it is built, while taking away some of the work and details off their hands. Allow them a more casual and beginner friendly experience. At every page there can be a message encouraging them to try the 'advanced' mode.

Downside naturally is that this is a lot of work. But just throwing it out there.
Zorax CC | Free HK
Five Demands, Not One Less
Learn more Here

James018

Re: Stumped 'Basic'

Postby James018 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:56 am

I actually really like this. It makes Stumped accessible to a lot more people, and if anyone complains that it's too simple or too much is "hidden", they can always switch to the advanced (existing) interface.

The work to go into it is a big ask, but I think it would be worth the investment.

Randall

Postby Randall » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:35 am

Good ideas.

We need ideas but I think the cart needs to go before the horse - as otherwise you are discussing the tactics without being clear to what overall objective they are being debated .

For example is our strategy to increase the number of active members to 250?

If so how is that done?

An example would be to increase the number of people who become aware of Stumped (we would then need tactics for that)
Increase the number of people who visit Stumped (ditto)
Increase the number who then become managers in Stumped (ditto)
Increase the number who become paying members in Stumped (ditto)

This is a starting point, to know where you are now and where you want to get to. On that basis all the great ideas people have are the tactics by which you achieve the simple example goals above.

Without a destination and a known starting point we will just drive around in circles (not that the drive is unpleasant as it is , scenic and enjoyable , but IF we wish to reach somewhere different - you need a Z and an A).

All the discussions we have about a better ME, less money for top teams, more money for new teams, easier rules etc etc etc are discussions on the tactics and operations to bring about goals. We assume the overall goal/objective is to generate more active teams - but is that so ? , or are we happy just to continue with the number of folk there are now. Queries not statements

bumpuss

Postby bumpuss » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:32 pm

This is a must. Make it mobile friendly too and turn it into an app :thumbup:

Zorax

Postby Zorax » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:28 pm

Randall wrote:For example is our strategy to increase the number of active members to 250?

If so how is that done?

Yea I mean this is something everyone's been scratching their head over for a while

Some sort of advertising/marketing campaign is definitely needed. However, once you get people clicking through to the website, you need something that is attractive that encourages them to actually stay and play the game. Otherwise you've wasted the investment made into getting them to the home page to begin with.

That's why I think suggestions to do with the layout and accessibility of the game should probably be the priority. The ME is fine IMO. People who have tried Stumped are generally put off by the complexity of the game, and how 'hard' it is to navigate the site.

And that's why we all suggest things like a front page re-design, general layout improvements, and maybe even building a mobile-only site or an app. My suggestion is just another one chucked on top of the existing pile.

I understand, however, that implementing any of these suggestions take resources. Rob just doesn't have the time or the funds to do that.

Maybe we need more ideas around how Rob can raise more funds so that he can invest back into this game? Maybe some crowdfunding or sponsorship might help out?
Zorax CC | Free HK
Five Demands, Not One Less
Learn more Here

Return to “Suggestions”