Touch

angeltoast

Touch

Postby angeltoast » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:48 pm

How is this 'Touch' thing supposed to work again?
My top three players have been on a touch of 4 ever since it was reset - no improvement. Only six of my entire squad are above 10, and half of those are my youngest players. My average touch is 8.65. Meanwhile I am playing teams with an average of 11 or more. How can I hope to win matches with such a handicap?
Lizzie Mills, manager of ...
  • Iceni Cricket Club
  • West Indies national team

MOD-tonk6464

Re: Touch

Postby MOD-tonk6464 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:16 pm

angeltoast wrote:How is this 'Touch' thing supposed to work again?
My top three players have been on a touch of 4 ever since it was reset - no improvement. Only six of my entire squad are above 10, and half of those are my youngest players. My average touch is 8.65. Meanwhile I am playing teams with an average of 11 or more. How can I hope to win matches with such a handicap?

Touch is purely random.

I am of the opinion that touch only has a very small impact on performance. I don't think you have much of a handicap there.
Manager of The Tonkers
Champions of Div.1 SOD (9 times), Div.1 T20 (8 times), Div.1 DEV and Stumped! Cup
Ex-National Manager of Australia - Champions Season 10 and 17

Rhaegar

Postby Rhaegar » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:19 pm

One of my players been on 3 since I've bought him this season. Sure .. he hasn't been outstanding or anything but, he's been performing according to his skills. I agree with Tonk. I have never seen any of my players put on a bad show on a consistent basis only because of their touch..

Stomalomalus

Postby Stomalomalus » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:52 pm

Sheldon's form has been terrible this season. His form is poor, but so has another of my players and his average is 45. Sheldon's is only 23 and that's because he got a hundred in the T20.

I don't know why his form is suffering, his instructions are very similar to last season. The only difference is that England broke him. ;)

angeltoast

Postby angeltoast » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:56 pm

I was under the impression that each player's touch is supposed to change a little each day - up or down.
  • Iceni Cricket Club

angeltoast

Postby angeltoast » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:59 am

Rhaegar wrote:One of my players been on 3 since I've bought him this season. Sure .. he hasn't been outstanding or anything but, he's been performing according to his skills. I agree with Tonk. I have never seen any of my players put on a bad show on a consistent basis only because of their touch..

The help file says: "Having good touch will mean a player is more likely to perform well during a game, with poor touch making poor performance more likely."
If Touch didn't have any effect, there would be no point in having it, but it does, significantly. My two all-rounders, upon whom I depend a lot, are both on 4 and are consistently playing like 15 year olds. It is affecting matches. I keep checking their Touch, waiting for it to change, but it doesn't. I am disillusioned and fed up and ready to quit the game. Seriously.
There is too much stuff in the game that takes control away from the managers. Of course players will fluctuate, make bad decisions, sometimes play extra well or badly, but we already have a match engine that controls the ebb and flow of matches, and a random number generator that decides every situation, adding Touch makes a mockery of the skills and training principle of the game.
  • Iceni Cricket Club

Odin

Postby Odin » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:35 am

@angeltoast reaches that point on the curve.
The point all managers reach about 1-2 years into a game like this. The point where normal game features start to bug you so much that minor legitimate gripes become irreconcilable flaws.

It passes.
Don't leave us!

Buster

Postby Buster » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:42 am

Angeltoast makes a really good point here and I do seriously believe that touch has to be looked out. Like her I am very dismayed and frustrated with the game at the moment because of this issue.

We are told to keep our squad size low to be able to develop our youngsters better so I have a squad of only 16. Of that squad 25% of them are under 5 touch! 2 of my squad are actually sitting on 3 touch. To make things worse 68% of them are under 10 touch.

When I take into account fitness of players as well it means that I am basically having to field players who I know are totally out of touch. If touch is to have any worthwhile meaning I should not be selecting these players at all but I have no choice in the matter. So what is the point? I mean if I am working hard to develop my team why should I have to select players who are out of form and who according to the help section are going to perform badly? It makes no sense!

Very demotivating indeed! And also blooming pointless carrying on if I have so little influence over things.

angeltoast

Postby angeltoast » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:31 pm

Sorry to labour a point, but when does Touch get updated? Because I'm not seeing any change since it was reset.

[Edited 13th August 20:38] I apologise. I have found a Squad download of a week ago, and compared with a current download. There are 4 increases and 4 decreases. Sorry.
Last edited by angeltoast on Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Iceni Cricket Club

Vaughan86

Postby Vaughan86 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:21 pm

I’m not sure exactly when it changes. But I know my touch has been changing throughout the season

Return to “Game Matters”