Finance Moan

WaddyWoody

Finance Moan

Postby WaddyWoody » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:39 pm

Another financial moan incoming. For the third straight week, I am set to lose another member of my team as my side continues to struggle through debt. I was unlucky with the way the debt coincided with a long fixture list of away games resulting in the debt increasing, but I understand this balances out over the course of a season, yet still, bad timing.

I have already moved on 3 players this season in trying to balance the books, before the further 3 that were forced away. Leaving me with a rather depleted squad.

My financial issues all began at the start of the season. I started the season in 2 div 2 leagues, and 1 div 3 league - an improvement from 2 div 3, and 1 div 2 the season prior. I had assumed this overall improvement of the standard would have lead to an increased sponsorship when comparing the previous season. Now I appreciate I could have read the weighting of different types leading to different sponsorship values - but I just seems logical that 2 div 2 would result in greater sponsorship than 2 div 3, no?? Surely this should be looked at an amended?

I read endlessly that new sides should focus on DEV, which I have always done in time as a manager here, and am in with a great shot of promotion to div 1 for next season. Yet, as far as I can tell DEV results in the least monetary returns when compared to the other formats in terms of sponsorship and ticket sales. To assist new teams, which are told to focus on DEV, shouldn’t we look at increasing to monetary returns for this format in line with the other formats??

Essentially, despite my efforts in DEV cricket throughout my time here my side are shockingly poor financially and in no way stronger to compete in the other formats. As all my strongly developed players over my time I have had to sell or been forced away due to the finance. This just feels like a vicious cycle which keeps the poor poor and the rich rich!

I’m sorry for the long post, but I am increasingly becoming disheartened and disillusioned by the finance in this game. I really think something should be done to assist ‘newer’ players finance, and ultimately retain more of a player base.

SmOkEz

Re: Finance Moan

Postby SmOkEz » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:53 pm

WaddyWoody wrote:Another financial moan incoming. For the third straight week, I am set to lose another member of my team as my side continues to struggle through debt. I was unlucky with the way the debt coincided with a long fixture list of away games resulting in the debt increasing, but I understand this balances out over the course of a season, yet still, bad timing.

I have already moved on 3 players this season in trying to balance the books, before the further 3 that were forced away. Leaving me with a rather depleted squad.

My financial issues all began at the start of the season. I started the season in 2 div 2 leagues, and 1 div 3 league - an improvement from 2 div 3, and 1 div 2 the season prior. I had assumed this overall improvement of the standard would have lead to an increased sponsorship when comparing the previous season. Now I appreciate I could have read the weighting of different types leading to different sponsorship values - but I just seems logical that 2 div 2 would result in greater sponsorship than 2 div 3, no?? Surely this should be looked at an amended?

I read endlessly that new sides should focus on DEV, which I have always done in time as a manager here, and am in with a great shot of promotion to div 1 for next season. Yet, as far as I can tell DEV results in the least monetary returns when compared to the other formats in terms of sponsorship and ticket sales. To assist new teams, which are told to focus on DEV, shouldn’t we look at increasing to monetary returns for this format in line with the other formats??

Essentially, despite my efforts in DEV cricket throughout my time here my side are shockingly poor financially and in no way stronger to compete in the other formats. As all my strongly developed players over my time I have had to sell or been forced away due to the finance. This just feels like a vicious cycle which keeps the poor poor and the rich rich!

I’m sorry for the long post, but I am increasingly becoming disheartened and disillusioned by the finance in this game. I really think something should be done to assist ‘newer’ players finance, and ultimately retain more of a player base.

I am new to this game, but I also noticed the financial unbalanced, because I have an account on FTP cricket manager and Cricket Championship manager as well...I have only 3 players those who has wage more than 5k...it goes -41k for debt in financial updating, it's really unfair.
Akshai, manager of....
.SaMuRai XI

mike778

Postby mike778 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:46 pm

What coaches have you got ?

You shouldn't be struggling with debt really - 16 players is less bloated than most and they don't seem hugely waged. The reason why people say concentrate on DEV at the start is because it will give you a nice core of players to work with. If they play lots then they will develop quicker than players of a similar age. Dev isn't in itself financially lucrative.

Your other issue is your ground is too small. Actually this might be the main issue. You have sold out every game and would probably suit a ground at least twice as big. So income wise you are giving away a lot of money. I know its a bit chicken and egg as you need money to expand ground and need to expand ground to make money. Kind of why its best to have a controlled progression at the start keeping finances in check to expand ground as you grow. Unless you get an uber youth pull of course.

So ... check your coaches and groundies. Don't have anyone skilled over 10. Then prioritise on expanding the ground somehow.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and now also manager of the mighty South African national side.

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20
-Short League Champions - S19, S20
-Runners up in English 2020 (S19) and Cup

James018

Postby James018 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:08 am

Generally when people complain about finances being too difficult or there not being enough money in finances or sponsorship causing them to operate at a loss... there's an underlying reason why somewhere. There's 1 or 2 places where they are not earning as much money as they should, or spending much more money than they should. It's worth trying to figure out where that might be.

Having said that... I've never liked that a lot of your financial stability in Stumped depends on being lucky enough to scout a gun and sell him for big bucks on the transfer market. And that's coming from someone who has benefited from that and is now sitting on 8m. I'm not sure there's a solution to that, however.

Stomalomalus

Postby Stomalomalus » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:29 am

WaddyWoody wrote:Another financial moan incoming. For the third straight week, I am set to lose another member of my team as my side continues to struggle through debt. I was unlucky with the way the debt coincided with a long fixture list of away games resulting in the debt increasing, but I understand this balances out over the course of a season, yet still, bad timing.

I'd say your squad size is around right for the level you're at. So it probably comes down to coaches and transfer spending.

You don't really want to be spending more than $700,000 on transfers in your first several seasons...

In fact, you really shouldn't spend much.

I didn't spend 6 figures on a single player until after I had a profit of more than 2m on the TM.

Yes, I got lucky in pulling a player almost identical to one I'd already pulled, so sold him for nearly 2m, but I still kept spending very low. My best bought players until very recently cost 4,001, 1,000, 1,000, 3,000, 1,000, and 30,000.

And even then I sailed a little close to the line.

My financial moan is that I cannot currently improve my team. I don't have enough cash to buy any player who would actually improve my team, I played a top team in the 1st round of the cup and got knocked out, and have no way of making that money or getting that player unless I somehow pull a superstar (not the trait!) in the draft.

So, there are imperfections, but it's all about not spending much to start with.

WaddyWoody

Postby WaddyWoody » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:18 am

mike778 wrote:What coaches have you got ?

You shouldn't be struggling with debt really - 16 players is less bloated than most and they don't seem hugely waged. The reason why people say concentrate on DEV at the start is because it will give you a nice core of players to work with. If they play lots then they will develop quicker than players of a similar age. Dev isn't in itself financially lucrative.

Your other issue is your ground is too small. Actually this might be the main issue. You have sold out every game and would probably suit a ground at least twice as big. So income wise you are giving away a lot of money. I know its a bit chicken and egg as you need money to expand ground and need to expand ground to make money. Kind of why its best to have a controlled progression at the start keeping finances in check to expand ground as you grow. Unless you get an uber youth pull of course.

So ... check your coaches and groundies. Don't have anyone skilled over 10. Then prioritise on expanding the ground somehow.

I currently have a 13 bowling coach on 9.6k, who is now on the market due to auto bidder. Once he goes, I’ll be left with 1 coach who I thinks highest skill is 6. And a groundsman on 900.

I would suggest DEV should be made more lucrative to assist newbies. As while I have maintained competitiveness there, ultimately all my best developed players are forced to move on due to finance resulting in my team not improving for the other leagues, where the monetary returns are greater! Is a vicious cycle.

The size of the ground is definitely an issue I agree. But as you say is a bit chicken and egg. Let’s say I were to increase my ground to a 12,000 capacity - this will cost me £165,000, money I haven’t seen in my balance for at least 2 seasons. And that’s not due to spending, in that time the highest fee ive payed for a player is 45k.

MOD-tonk6464

Postby MOD-tonk6464 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:34 am

I think the sponsorship system works well currently. It has always been SOD > T20 > DEV. Managers would do well to keep that firmly in mind when making team decisions. I think the system is perfectly fine the way it is now.

Waddywoody, i think the main reason you have gone into debt was your wages bill was too high. You may have also spent a bit too much on the transfer market at your stage. I suggest avoiding high wage players, coaches and groundsmen at your division level (particularly coaches). Cut your wages bill sufficiently until u are running a surplus budget on average. Then when u have enough cash in reserve, increase your ground size to earn more revenue from matches. Remember that players can improve their skills by playing matches and taking part in that skill eg. if a player bats in a match, they receive in match batting training.
Manager of The Tonkers
Champions of Div.1 SOD (9 times), Div.1 T20 (8 times), Div.1 DEV and Stumped! Cup
Ex-National Manager of Australia - Champions Season 10 and 17

SmOkEz

Postby SmOkEz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:44 am

MOD-tonk6464 wrote:I think the sponsorship system works well currently. It has always been SOD > T20 > DEV. Managers would do well to keep that firmly in mind when making team decisions. I think the system is perfectly fine the way it is now.

Oho :geek:
Akshai, manager of....
.SaMuRai XI

liquefry

Postby liquefry » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:18 am

MOD-tonk6464 wrote:I think the sponsorship system works well currently. It has always been SOD > T20 > DEV. Managers would do well to keep that firmly in mind when making team decisions. I think the system is perfectly fine the way it is now.

Kind of wish it was T20>SOD>DEV :D. Surely IPL is where all the cash is nowadays?!

liquefry

Postby liquefry » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:33 am

Stomalomalus wrote:My financial moan is that I cannot currently improve my team. I don't have enough cash to buy any player who would actually improve my team, I played a top team in the 1st round of the cup and got knocked out, and have no way of making that money or getting that player unless I somehow pull a superstar (not the trait!) in the draft.

I know your pain. To be fair, I can probably improve a bit with the cash I have in the bank (~$2m) but it is not anywhere near enough to compete with the real big guns. The market is very small, demand for good players is high and supply is extremely constricted - so the price gets set by the uber-rich amongst us.

If I was in charge (ho ho) I'd think about bumping up the average quality of youth pulls by a fair bit - possibly a lot. And maybe introduce a catchup mechanism so making a bad pull makes it more likely you'll get a good pull next time. The idea is to both make it easier to grow a strong squad internally, and stimulate the economy by bringing more supply in to the transfer market. This would push down prices for quite decent players. The absolute beasts (think potential 50+ players) would still go for a lot, but the average quality of newer teams would rise. In my view if squad quality improves the game gets more interesting as well, as the difference between squads will be more strongly influenced by manager skill than luck in squad pulls.

Of course this would have a disproportionate affect - younger teams would become competitive sooner, but older teams who've built up a stable of top quality players at huge expense would find their assets less valuable; while they would also improve, their current relative advantage would drop over time.

Return to “Game Matters”