Rubbish coach - what to do?

Squarebear

Rubbish coach - what to do?

Postby Squarebear » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:49 am

Newby here.

I appointed the weakest 30+ players to be coaches.

One of them has miserable skills (0 batting, 0 bowling), so right now he's been given fielding duties.

I've one more 30-something who I'd like to try as coach. But how do I rid myself of the useless guy? I stuck him on leave for a week but I was hoping for something a bit more...final. Am I stuck with him until he dies/retires or do I stick him on the transfer market and hope for a late night drunken bid?

Rhaegar

Re: Rubbish coach - what to do?

Postby Rhaegar » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:58 am

Haha. No no. If he's a 0 skilled coach, you can always send him on training (whichever you'd like) go gain speciality. But if you think that his low ski is a problem you can always fire him. Recall from gardening leave and then fire. You can't recall him if you have more than 3 coaches though.

angeltoast

Postby angeltoast » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:51 pm

Multi-skilled coaches demand high salaries. Personally, I like each coach to have only one skill, and train him up in that. I suggest you keep him and spend what you can afford to train him. If you want to get rid of him, put him on the transfer market - I might buy him.
Lizzie Mills, manager of ...
  • Iceni Cricket Club
  • West Indies national team

Squarebear

Postby Squarebear » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:19 pm

Cheers both.

I can see how to send him on gardening leave but not how to fire or sell him. Tsk.

Anyway, horrified at the thought of having a high salary coach, I will keep this guy and train him in fielding.

Lunarlord34

Postby Lunarlord34 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Squarebear wrote:Cheers both.

I can see how to send him on gardening leave but not how to fire or sell him. Tsk.

Anyway, horrified at the thought of having a high salary coach, I will keep this guy and train him in fielding.

I would very much recommend against doing that, training in fielding that is. I never train fielding, the only time I might consider anything with that is training a young keeper. It's something which just by playing they get that training. Thus none of my coaches have good fielding training skills, I think I have one with a 5 which is all I need to give my dev keeper a boost after he plays an extra couple of games. But if you want to have a fielding coach, no one can stop you and everyone has different ways to go about it. But to me, it seems a little excessive.

Physio I could see an argument for if you use the recuperation feature of training a lot, but otherwise I personally don't both much with fielding or physio and would focus on batting and/or bowling. But to have a fielding coach only to train a keeper is excessive to me, so I just had a batting coach with a bit of fielding on him and would occassionally slap on keeping training. Also, be careful not to train your coach up too high any one skill either way, not only will their wage be much higher but also the negatives they produce will be higher. i.e. when you train attack, the decrease to defence will be higher and thus could make the player plop.

angeltoast

Postby angeltoast » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:16 pm

It may just be the players I have, but I find that fielding is a real weakness, and they don't seem to improve much with match experience. Fielding can be critical in matches, so I keep a coach for fielding, and he gets used for pushing my keeper and/or reserve keeper, and to try to improve the worst fielders over time.
  • Iceni Cricket Club

Lunarlord34

Postby Lunarlord34 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:24 am

I mean upon further thinking, maybe it's because my fielding is trash and even having a coach wouldn't help it anyway :think: :lol:

DEV-R0b1et
Site Admin

Postby DEV-R0b1et » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:41 am

I think fielding is often ignored... perhaps because there seems to be little relevance to it in other games (sometimes its because it is invisible, sometimes its demonstrably not important).

I like to think the commentary gives away the importance of fielding in stumped - it's up to managers to decide if the missed chances and lost runs are worth the training time to avoid.

angeltoast

Postby angeltoast » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:16 am

DEV-R0b1et wrote:I think fielding is often ignored... perhaps because there seems to be little relevance to it in other games (sometimes its because it is invisible, sometimes its demonstrably not important).

I like to think the commentary gives away the importance of fielding in stumped - it's up to managers to decide if the missed chances and lost runs are worth the training time to avoid.

Yep. I always refer to the short comments to see how my field settings and bowler choices are affecting the action, and whether or not to stick a player in for a fielding session with the coach.
  • Iceni Cricket Club

Squarebear

Postby Squarebear » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:56 pm

Just a footnote.

I was unable to see how to fire the coach, much less put him on a training course.

For other similarly perplexed newbies, I finally found it.

Go to coaching tab. Click on coach's name. This is where the action happens.

Return to “The Beginners Section”