Current Match Engine

Ravenprince

Re: Current Match Engine

Postby Ravenprince » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:38 am

Thanks! I was just trying to understand how this works.

I think I've overestimated how much consolidation actually tempers the shot selection. Given that one can't manage orders on the fly, I thought match situation would play more of a role in player's decision making.

I also found the shift to being less worried about losing wickets was too quick. Less than an over after losing 6 wickets in 18 balls with over half the overs left?

Sorry about the 3 pushes, I miscounted.

EDIT: Why does worn pitch have an impact on consolidation?

DEV-R0b1et
Site Admin

Postby DEV-R0b1et » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:24 am

Worn pitch doesn't affect consolidation (at all in fact), but it makes any ball more dangerous.

T20s are always funny really, they only have a few overs left (even if they collapse right at the start).

May be about to give too much away, but I can't think how it can be taken advantage of, so meh:

- Each ball is bowled... we'll ignore how, but the ball ends up with a "line" and a "missability" (there's a relation, but its not all)
- Batsmen work out the lowest viable shot (with subvalues) to score the required run rate (in first innings, this is your target) - using calculated probablistic outcomes
- Batsmen work out the most aggressive shot in terms of using remaining batting ability (they aim to use 70% of all remaining batting ability by time the innings is over [this was one of the biggest tuning parameters and took a lot of experiments to get right, I'm actually really happy with how well this works - batting ability is based on the quantity and quality of batting sat in the pavilion waiting to come in - it means teams with long tails attempt to use the tail less - note that if you are 3 down, 70% of what less is more wickets than it was at the start]) - using calculated probablistic outcomes
- Situation is considered to pick a value between the two.
- Consolidation is used to adjust the expected shot down (the calculation of the value of consolidation considers size of collapse and time remaining)
- Shot selection is used to determine which shot is actually played from what was "ideal".
- the shot happens, and is run a single time with all the inherent probabilities that were known in steps 2 and 3.
- fielding etc all happen
- move onto the next ball.

Ravenprince

Postby Ravenprince » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:05 pm

This is great, thanks!

The way I understand it MAS sets the lower bound on a batsman's aggression while the overall team's batting quality determines the upper bound.

I assume when you say situation is used to pick the shot between two options, it covers match situation, individual style and individual batting orders (aggression).

mike778

Postby mike778 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:22 pm

Rob,

Could you give any pointers on how the ME treats 2020 in line with traits such as Reverse Swinger and Partnership Breaker. I know they fade in, but PB tends to show on commentary about 15 overs which would make it useless in 2020 unless the ME takes into account the format. Same goes with Reverse Swing, not seen it mentioned in 2020 so I generally regard it as a negative trait in 2020.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and now also manager of the mighty South African national side.

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21
-Short League Champions - S19, S20

DEV-R0b1et
Site Admin

Postby DEV-R0b1et » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:07 am

mike778 wrote:Rob,

Could you give any pointers on how the ME treats 2020 in line with traits such as Reverse Swinger and Partnership Breaker. I know they fade in, but PB tends to show on commentary about 15 overs which would make it useless in 2020 unless the ME takes into account the format. Same goes with Reverse Swing, not seen it mentioned in 2020 so I generally regard it as a negative trait in 2020.

Good questions.

FROM memory (i.e. I might not be right)
- the ball wears twice as fast in T20 (its equivilent to the 2 new balls in 50 overs at the moment, except we use a single ball wearing at half rate). BUT the wear rate depends on a number of factors... being crashed around being one of them - so balls end up slightly less worn in T20 than SOD. Just occasionally a ball gets destroyed and replaced (by one of standard you'd expect at that point), but its very infrequent - I've only noticed it once.
- reverse swinger is entirely related to ball wear, nothing to do with overs - my good one that's retiring now, used to get it sometimes - I'd always bowl him in overs 14,16,18 and 20.

- I'm pretty sure partnership breaker is a fraction of the match format.

Lunarlord34

Postby Lunarlord34 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:00 pm

If it’s 15 overs in SOD then it’s provably the same sort of fraction for power plays? I.e 15 in SOD, 6 in t20 and 10 in dev?

Return to “Match Engine”