Season 23 League Matches

MOD-tonk6464

Season 23 League Matches

Postby MOD-tonk6464 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:03 am

Season 23 SOD league matches have just started today.

It's going to be an interesting season in AUS Div.1. Good luck to all teams. :)
Manager of The Tonkers
Champions of Div.1 SOD (9 times), Div.1 T20 (10 times), Div.1 DEV and Stumped! Cup
Ex-National Manager of Australia - Champions Season 10 and 17

MOD-tonk6464

Re: Season 23 League Matches

Postby MOD-tonk6464 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:46 am

We played at home against Fartland today on a green pitch. Fartland won the toss and elected to bat. Afridi dismissed Habir early but after that Fartland began to accumulate runs at a fairly quick rate. Hoshigaki batted very well for 105 from 107 balls and was given some good support from Kotze and Byrnison. It looked as though Fartland might post a very big score but my bowlers pulled things back in the last 15 overs with several wickets. Fartland still posted a very respectable 282.

In reply, my openers Jawad and Sabir got us off to a great start. They produced a 200-run opening partnership from 31.1 Overs! Sabir was eventually dismissed for 96 from 91 balls and Jawad followed him 3 balls later to be out for 104 from 99 balls. Wickets kept tumbling but enough runs were made to get us home with 6.1 overs and 4 wickets to spare. A good start to the season by my lads. :)

In other AUS Div.1 matches:

The defending champions The Reds survived a big scare against Rebel Slaves - they just scraped home by 1 wicket!
Green Valley Eagles smashed stueys team.
Fictionally Inclined recorded a very convincing win against Carthagians.
Manager of The Tonkers
Champions of Div.1 SOD (9 times), Div.1 T20 (10 times), Div.1 DEV and Stumped! Cup
Ex-National Manager of Australia - Champions Season 10 and 17

Lunarlord34

Postby Lunarlord34 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:04 pm

Yeah, no idea how I won that after they were 0-130 after 19 overs. Thought we were chasing 350+ but the bowlers pulled things back very well from there on to bowl them out for 282. Chaudry, Bell, Shorten and Donda all picked up 2, but my pick was Dizzy as he was the only one keeping things remotely tight all game.

In response, things were very shaky very much in comparision with both Satin and Ferguson sent packing, Ascott looking to go aggressive while Shorten set about to steady things at the other end before Ascott was run out for the 15,000th time in his career for us (Does lower SS mean terrible running between the wickets or something?). However with his departure, that meant the vastly improved Face strode to the crease as he and Shorten, and later Bowden, set about rebuilding the innings in his very turtle then hare approach to batting, taking a few balls to get set before exploding in a flurry of aggressive strokes.

Even as both his partners in crime fell, Shorten for a well made 54 and Bowden for an aggressive 40, he continued to tick things over at a rapid rate, bring up 50 while Ellery departed cheaply, Bell falling soon after for 21. Then when Dizzy fell for a duck and Chaudry run out soon after, we were almost done and out at 9-265. We just needed Donda to put Face back on strike and look to not get out...or at least that would've been the plan, but no one told Donda that. He looked to launch just his 2nd ball into the stands, hardly making contact but that was just a warm-up as he found the middle 2nd time round 2 balls later.

He even looked to keep the strike the cheeky young gun, smoking another four before calming down and allowing him and Face to keep calm under the pressure and get us home, Face finishing 95* from 89 balls and Donda finishing 15* from 11. Let's hope we have more get out of jail cards left....

liquefry

Postby liquefry » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:28 pm

Lots of strong teams in the division. Watching live I was sure the Rebel Slaves were going to make waves by toppling the Reds but they couldn't close out either innings. Our game wasn't super close but I was disappointed to miss out on the bonus point - their last partnership managed 33 runs securing the bonus point by just 3 runs!

Not happy with new purchase Sieme Steyn - he shipped 27 runs to their #11 Aqeel Hadar, who has a total batting skill of 24. Steyn didn't exactly cover himself in glory after his golden duck earlier. I brought him in to the team to replace Lance Klusener who retired last week after being close to player of the season last time round... hope I don't regret that move too much!

liquefry

Postby liquefry » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:30 pm

Lunarlord34 wrote:Does lower SS mean terrible running between the wickets or something?

I don't think so - my opener Heaybeard has terrible SS but I haven't noticed an exceptional number of run outs.

bumpuss

Postby bumpuss » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:49 pm

Going by ratings only, I think Stuey's team will struggle this season.

Rebel Slaves & Carthagians are both fairly strong teams. It could very well end up being another very close season.

I dont think I scored enough against Tonks even though I batted out the 50 overs.

Lunarlord34

Postby Lunarlord34 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:39 am

liquefry wrote:
Lunarlord34 wrote:Does lower SS mean terrible running between the wickets or something?

I don't think so - my opener Heaybeard has terrible SS but I haven't noticed an exceptional number of run outs.

More a joke on how often it seems to happen. I swear it happened like 5 games in a row at some point, idk why it happens to him. But I guess if he just hit boundaries more often than it wouldn't be a problem. :ugeek:

Lunarlord34

Postby Lunarlord34 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:20 am

Lost toss and batting first against Fartland, lost Satin cheaply once again before recovering and posting 6-306 off the back of a career best 133 from number 3 Ferguson, his 4th SOD ton. He was well supported by Shorten (45), Ascott (59) and Face (30) before a quickfire cameo from Ellery (18* off 7) helped get the total over the 300 mark after a flurry of late wickets threatened to make us fall short of the mark.

After failing to defend 350 odd in the cup match previous, unsure as to whether our bowlers can defend a way smaller target, especially against the best bat in the game in Hoshigaki, but hopefully the addition of Donda is enough to regain our edge.

bumpuss

Postby bumpuss » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:02 am

It was an interesting match, for most of the first 30 overs I had them under 4 runs per over. But with wickets in hand they went on to score 300. So about 180 in 20 overs... :shock:

Chaudry bowled superbly (and fielded well too). Our batsmen got starts but no one went to score big. The run rate wasnt an issue as we generally maintained 5 runs per over..but with wickets falling at crucial times the Reds were always on top. Bell got the key wickets.

Anyhow two toughest matches out of the way :lol:

Return to “Senior One Day Games”