Friendly SOD Matches

jan1

Re: Friendly SOD Matches

Postby jan1 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:02 pm

Gents, what is behind Babar Majeed's success (5.5-1-13-6) in this match?

http://www.stumpedgame.com/Scorecard.php?Match=485843
Challenge Jan CC anytime!

James018

Postby James018 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:42 am

Well his last four wickets were all tailenders, so that definitely helped his figures :P

jan1

Postby jan1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:23 am

I too had a faster bowler bowl to tailenders, Arthur Adlett. He is superior in skill to Majeed and a also tad slower (FM vs MF) but he took only one wicket.

James018

Postby James018 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:16 pm

Look at the expert preview. Your opponent's tailenders are MUCH better than yours - they're almost as good as the top order/middle order. While your tailenders seem to all be very poor batsmen. You were unlucky that they all got out within 5 balls, but it's not out of the realms of possibility.

jan1

Postby jan1 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:47 pm

I managed to beat Chingford Wanderers recently which is fine. However Bedser does not see it that way and is slightly puzzled by the result. We agreed to post the match here in hope of valuable comments and explanations ;-) Thanks.

http://www.stumpedgame.com/Scorecard.php?Match=485996

Jan CC were:
All batsmen steady, all overs with fielding on 5,

James018

Postby James018 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:18 am

Well Bedser does have a considerably better team, so it is surprising that you won, and very surprising that you won so easily.

I can understand them getting a low score on a 63 wear pitch. They lost a lot of wickets to blocks, but you can understand that on a good bowling pitch where the ball might do unpredictable stuff. Your bowling tactics may also have helped - 5 aggression for the whole game would usually be inadvisable as it means only 2 fielders on the boundary, but the conditions helped it pay off.

On the other hand it is very surprising your batsmen chased down the score so easily. There was barely a chance given for the whole innings. Perhaps a lack of pressure on the batsmen (chasing a gettable total after a good start) compared to high pressure on the bowlers contributed - that often happens in chases like these on Stumped. But still, it seems as if you get very lucky there.

All up, Bedser's biggest mistake was electing to bat when he won the toss. That was not a bat-first pitch, and while he was unlucky, he opened himself up to the possibility of an upset with that mistake.

Bedser

Postby Bedser » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks for your thoughts, James.

Through tactical discussions I'd had with Thaifoon, we'd come up with the theory that batting first and getting the MAS (sort of) right, based on the conditions, would put the team batting second under greater pressure, so causing them to hit out and get out.

However, I can see that the more extreme conditions could work the other way, especially when coupled with my more defensive tactics - I tend to go for 3s & 4s rather than Jan's 5s throughout; on the occasions I've set aggressive batting orders (6-8 for some in T20), I've always been bowled out easily :?

Back to the drawing board..... :(

James018

Postby James018 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:26 pm

Yep, it depends a lot on conditions. and also the personnel in your side. My rule of thumb is the better conditions are for batting, the more likely you should bat first.

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:55 pm

The wind was also fairly high, meaning, although high wear was prevalent, the wind made batting a tad easier as bowlers were less accuracte, going defensive first up meant that after scoring 199 it may have only been par or substandard as a total. This invited the upset for Jan as well (with a heap of Stumped randomness). All in all, a pain of a score for Bedser, but one I'm not too surprised by.
Manager of West Row Wyverns
Winner of the grand slam in season 13 (Dev, T20, SOD, Cup, International)
Breeder of Peach #1 bowler in the world.
Mainly does some England management stuff

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:17 am

Ooft, another century for Jennings as we put 402/6 on against the Deccan Chargers, they told me they wanted to play my full strength team after all....
Manager of West Row Wyverns
Winner of the grand slam in season 13 (Dev, T20, SOD, Cup, International)
Breeder of Peach #1 bowler in the world.
Mainly does some England management stuff

Return to “Friendlies”