England season 22

rtj45

England season 22

Postby rtj45 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:19 pm

So England kicked off their campaign with a 2 run victory over India.

On a dodgy pitch we were put into bat and soon found ourselves struggling at 49/2 from 10 overs. Stockley and Aston built a solid partnership scoring at over a run a ball until Merry contributed with a useful 31(21)* on debut to take us to 131/6.

It was about a par score and we soon made good inroads into India's top order to reduce them to around 80/6. Some late (and quite lucky) hitting from their bowling all rounders got them close before Puvimanasinghe took the final 2 wickets to close out the game.

An important win against a strong side. My MoM goes to Merry for his late flourish.

Next up Australia on Tuesday, see you then.
Manager of West Row Wyverns
Winner of the grand slam in season 13 (Dev, T20, SOD, Cup, International)
Breeder of Peach #1 bowler in the world.
Mainly does some England management stuff

rtj45

Re: England season 22

Postby rtj45 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:37 am

It was win number two for England as we came up against a strong Australian side.

The Aussies were put into bat and soon found themselves in heaps of trouble at 60/6 with piggott making mincemeat of the top order. It was then the Alderman show as he took 4/23 to kill off any hopes of a comeback. We chased the total without much worry in just over 13 overs. York being the main destroyer with 52 from just 32 balls.

It shows what a performance this was or potentially how lucky we were that none of our big names influenced the result. Commiserations Aussies.

My MOTM is Johnny Alderman

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:23 am

3 from 3 as England destroy the West Indies.

West Indies were put in to bat and their interesting order choice certainly raised a few eyebrows, a pure 40+ skilled batsman at number 9 and a couple of bowling all rounders filling the top 6 meant that this was probably a roll of the die against a strong England team.

Either way, England tore them apart and despite some OK batting a total of 148 on that pitch was well below par.

Ascott and Aston combined to smash West Indies to all parts, with Aston finishing on 68*(33) to gain my round MotM

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:39 pm

4 from 4 as the English fire continues!

We put South Africa in to bat, our favourite, and their defensive openers got them off to a reasonable start, Temple got the important wicket of Face before Aldermna took 2 quick wickets to bring the Saffies down to 62/4. Arend Swart then tried his best to cause mayhem before eventually succumbing to the excellent bowling of Puvimanasinghe. At 120/6 with only the all rounders and tail left you would've thought this bowling line up would've put things to bed - well, you were wrong and what proceeded was quite possible the most ridiculous 30 overs of Stumped cricket I've ever seen.

So the tail managed to wag to 196/9 with several bowlers hitting out and making some decent scores for themselves - did get me quite nervous - however...

After a quiet few overs, York eventually got out and the brief respite of Ascott ended with 33 from 20 balls, Cullen joined them soon after for 29 from 21...

England 98/3 from 11 overs, 36 balls later England had crossed the 200 mark with Stockley smashing 86 not out from just 27 balls, ably supported by Aston who played second fiddle with 42 from 22 balls. It was absolute carnage, with Steyn ending with 3-0-54-0 and Giddings 2-0-39-0, and they still had another 3 overs to get through between them!

Absolutely crazy stuff, and obviously my MoM goes to Stockley.

ashok36

Postby ashok36 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:43 am

Congrats to the England team on getting one more win versus Bangladesh today.

Clarify this: Why is Malcolm Wright not in the playing XI despite a record breaking ODI season last time? He is a fairly good T20 player as well, with nearly 30 average. For a player of his calibre, isn't it enough?

When a 30 yr Superstar trait player can play all matches without missing the playing XI for once, I would really wish even my guy is playing. You may have your reasons for both of them. I hope favoritism is not one of those reasons.

Ashok.

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:45 am

ashok36 wrote:Congrats to the England team on getting one more win versus Bangladesh today.

Clarify this: Why is Malcolm Wright not in the playing XI despite a record breaking ODI season last time? He is a fairly good T20 player as well, with nearly 30 average. For a player of his calibre, isn't it enough?

When a 30 yr Superstar trait player can play all matches without missing the playing XI for once, I would really wish even my guy is playing. You may have your reasons for both of them. I hope favoritism is not one of those reasons.

Ashok.

To be honest he wasn't even close to our t20 squad this term. He is a great player but as you can see from our success this season we've got the tactics right so far and wouldn't fit into our plans fir t20. He is still a massive part of the one day plans.

Wright is in a defensive mould. Our top 8 have an average attacking skill of around 17 and in fact over the past season Wright has been caught up by a number of good English bats,his place isn't as guaranteed these dats

With regards to other selections - I presume you refer to puvimanasinghe as the 30 year old superstar? I don't think I really need to justify his place in the team do I? Plus he is in a totally different role to Wright.

Either way as always I very much appreciate you enthusiasm and I do encourage all to challenge my tactics and selection fairly. Though remember we only try to do our best in selection and national orders.

ashok36

Postby ashok36 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:16 am

rtj45 wrote:
To be honest he wasn't even close to our t20 squad this term. He is a great player but as you can see from our success this season we've got the tactics right so far and wouldn't fit into our plans fir t20. He is still a massive part of the one day plans.

Wright is in a defensive mould. Our top 8 have an average attacking skill of around 17 and in fact over the past season Wright has been caught up by a number of good English bats,his place isn't as guaranteed these dats

With regards to other selections - I presume you refer to puvimanasinghe as the 30 year old superstar? I don't think I really need to justify his place in the team do I? Plus he is in a totally different role to Wright.

Either way as always I very much appreciate you enthusiasm and I do encourage all to challenge my tactics and selection fairly. Though remember we only try to do our best in selection and national orders.

Thank you very much RTJ for your explanation. I hope you'll consider him at least for the next ODI season. Once again, I wish you and the England team all the very best.

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:32 pm

5 from 5

Bangladesh were put into bat and soon found themselves in heaps of bother. The big name of Da Ponte fell to Puvi early before Battersby knocked over 3 in 4 overs to leave Bangladesh at 47/4. McGinty's high fielding then paid dividends for 5 and Bangaldesh were soon 6 down for 59 with Puvi grabbing a vital 2nd. Some brief lower order hitting got them to a well below par 101.

Ascott hit another solid half century ably aided by Williams as England registered another BP win.

MoM goes to Battersby for his 4/23 from 4 overs opening up the bowling.

liquefry

Postby liquefry » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:02 am

rtj45 wrote:With regards to other selections - I presume you refer to puvimanasinghe as the 30 year old superstar? I don't think I really need to justify his place in the team do I?

ummm... yes please question his place in the team, and drop him! :lol: Although you probably have some young monster as a backup. The England nat players with skills revealed are all incredible.

Stomalomalus

Postby Stomalomalus » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:18 am

liquefry wrote:
rtj45 wrote:With regards to other selections - I presume you refer to puvimanasinghe as the 30 year old superstar? I don't think I really need to justify his place in the team do I?

ummm... yes please question his place in the team, and drop him! :lol: Although you probably have some young monster as a backup. The England nat players with skills revealed are all incredible.

He's not due to be dropped yet. His attributes lend himself to a place in the team and he consistently gets wickets, so his place seems justified to me.

There are a number of good young bowlers who will definitely come into the team/reckoning very soon, though.

As for Wright, both he and Sheldon - my own player - are similar skill-wise. But the chosen players are better suited. I'd hope both would come into the reckoning for the ODIs, along with some other newcomers.
Manager of Pest CCC and Assistant to England NT
National Caps:
Ali Azmat (Pakistan) 9ODI, 1T20I, Kenny Sheldon (England) 7ODI, Andrew Bradfield (England) 5ODI, 1T20I, Firoz Subbanna (Bangladesh) 5T20I

Return to “England”