2020 Test XI vs 2010 Test XI

bumpuss

2020 Test XI vs 2010 Test XI

Postby bumpuss » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:37 am

I feel like the past 10 years (2010 to present) have been quite different than the decade prior (2000 to 2010). In this decade we have fine batsmen in Kohli, Smith, Williamson but and quicks in Rabada, Cummins, Boult etc. However, lacking in quality spinners (Lyon, Tahir and Shah not that great).

So I have compiled what I think is the best XI from both decades.

2020 Test XI

Openers:
Cook played the most matches in this period (111) and naturally scored the most runs too (8769) averaging 46.15. The 2nd highest runscorer in this time was Warner, but given that he is a cheater and his recent performances he wont be selected.
Azhar Ali stood out in this period with an average of 47.25 with the high score for 302*, however he only played 19 matches. Tom Latham average 44.83 and scored 3318 runs, and is also a keeper.

Looks like openers in this era struggled.

No. 3 & 4:
The no.3 spot is going to difficult to choose from. No.4, has to be given no.1 cheater Steven Smith - his stats talk for themselves. Lots of options for no.3, Amla, Kohli, Williamson, Pujara, Sangakarra, Younis khan, Taylor, Root and even Kallis (average 61.35!). For me its a toss between Kohli & Williamson, they both have very similar figures (average around 56-57 mark).

No.5 & 6:
AB Devillers is the standout here, averaging 63.10 and scoring 4102 runs. Misbah has done really well too 51.42 . All rounders featuring here are Angelo Matthews, Ben Stokes & Shakib Al Hason. For me its AB and Shakib for his versatility. Misbah's style isnt suited to this XI. More likely I would pick Williamson/Kohli for that no.5 spot and push AB to 6. Heck let AB keep and open with Williamson.

No.7
Typically this spot is for the keeper (Dhoni, De Kock etc). Given that everyone pushes down, this spot will go to Shakib.

Bowlers: 8,9,10 & 11.
Anderson & Broad are leading wickettakers, however they also played the most matches (about 30 more than the rest). Dale Steyn is an easy pick with his low avg and I think lowest SR too. Philander is other pick - 21.46 avg with an SR of 48.60 .class bowler but keeps getting injured. Rabada is even better 21.77 average and SR of 38.8. Ashwin the is spinner with Ravindra Jadeja 12th man. Bowling looks like it picks itself.

bumpuss

Re: 2020 Test XI vs 2010 Test XI

Postby bumpuss » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:46 am

1. A.Cook (ENG)
2. H.Amla (SA)
3. K.Williamson (NZ)
4. S.Smith (AUS)
5. V.Kohli (IND)
6. AB (WK) (SA)
7. Shakib (BAN)
8. V.Philander (SA)
9. R.Ashwin (IND)
10. D.Steyn (SA)
11. K Rabada (SA)
12. R.Jadeja (IND)

Krypto

Postby Krypto » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:26 am

I love lists like this however you only gave a test team for the last 10 years . I cannot agree with the quality as the 2000 had arguably some of the best players in the history of the game .

I cannot dispute your batting lineup , except maybe a case for Amla being better earlier on then in the last 4 or 5 years . There is a case for Q de Kock to slot in as late order keeper .

With the bowling however i disagree .

Taking your format with 2 possibly 3 all rounders i will go much more bowling strong from 7 Will be my List .
I am a south African , it pains me to say but if you look at a team over 10 years , Steyn doesn't make it because of injury and then will be more games in the previous 10 . Removing Philander and Shakib for a more attacking bowling option . Jedeja and Rebada has only played less than 45 matches , then a case can be made for Abbas ,Bumrah , Cummins .

7) Ravichandran Ashwin
8) Trent Boult
9) Nathan Lyon
10) James Anderson
11) Ishant Sharma

All this just shows that the current team will be destroyed by the 2000 to 2010 team

1. SR Tendulkar
2. Rahul Dravid/ML Hayden
3. KC Sangakkara (k)
4. Jacques Kallis/BC Lara
5. RT Ponting (C)
6. Michael Hussey
7. Shivnarine Chanderpaul/Jacques Kallis
8. Shane Warne
9. DW Steyn
10.Muttiah Muralitharan
11.Glenn McGrath

As 12 but deciding 12th man wont be easy , depends on conditions i think Shivnarine Chanderpaul/BC Lara/ML Hayden
Manager of KryptoKnights
Ex South-African National Manager
National Duties: Adaemkin Cohen (South-Africa):William Makepeace (South-Africa):Bruce Joyce (South-Africa):Adam Adkins (South-Africa)

KaneWilliamson

Postby KaneWilliamson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:49 am

Hello, I am new here and I would like to add my list too

Current Playing XI -

1) Thomas William Maxwell Latham (WK) (NZ)
2) David Andrew Warner (AUS)
3) Kane Stuart Williamson (C) (NZ)
4) Virat Kohli (IND)
5) Steven Peter Devereux Smith (AUS)
6) Shakib Al Hasan (BAN)
7) Benjamin Andrew Stokes (ENG)
8) Ravichandran Ashwin (IND)
9) Kagiso Rabada (RSA)
10) James Michael Anderson (ENG)
11) Jasprit Jasbirsingh Bumrah (IND)

Retired XI -

1) Alastair Nathan Cook (ENG)