England lift their maiden world cup.

mike778

Re: England lift their maiden world cup.

Postby mike778 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:55 pm

Don't get the fuss about boundaries.

Sharing the world cup is a terrible suggestion. Cricket gets a bad enough reputation for test matches to be played over 5 days and then end up a draw. Having a whole tournament played for months and then it ends up a draw would be 1000 times worse. One of the team had to walk away with World Cup Champions or it would be a very unsatisfactory ending.

Boundaries v Wickets is much of a muchness. The objective is to score as many as possible in 50 overs regardless of wickets or boundaries. Neither is more worthy than the other. There are loads of possible tie breakers some for England and some for NZ, none particularly satisfactory and the one in the rules said England.

The crucial thing was that both teams knew the situation (or should have known). The tie breaker meant that New Zealand had to score 16 to win. England came through in the more pressurised situation (and it looked pretty bleak after the 6) , prevented it so deserved to win. End of story.

Fantastic game, when a game is that close, you need stuff to go your way. We got the rub of the green and executed when it really and truly mattered and it went our way. Nobody wins a world cup without a bit of luck (and no England fan will argue we got a big dollop of it yesterday). This is an England side that got to world number one so are worthy world champions.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and now also manager of the mighty South African national side.

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21
-Short League Champions - S19, S20

dazoctaron

Postby dazoctaron » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:33 pm

The problem is that whichever way it was decided (and it should be decided on the day) you were never going to please everyone. The way it panned out was a great spectacle and probably couldn't have worked out better for the governing body. It's got people talking about cricket, which is a good thing, and should raise it's profile and participation.

I'm an ex-footballer and certainly preferred this to a penalty shootout in football. I still think that Stokes could've (and should've) got a 4 or 6 from the leg side full toss at the end of England's innings instead of pushing and trying (and failing) to run 2.

It was bloody great to watch! (unless you're an Aussie)
WARRIORS

MOD-tonk6464

Postby MOD-tonk6464 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:15 am

James018 wrote:
My preference would have been to just play another Super Over. And, if necessary, keep doing so until someone wins.

I think this would have been a better way to determine the winner. :thumbup:
Manager of The Tonkers
Champions of Div.1 SOD (9 times), Div.1 T20 (10 times), Div.1 DEV and Stumped! Cup
Ex-National Manager of Australia - Champions Season 10 and 17

bumpuss

Postby bumpuss » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:24 am

why play 50 overs? just for it to be decided in one over?

If its a tie, its a tie!

James018

Postby James018 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:36 am

dazoctaron wrote:It was bloody great to watch! (unless you're an Aussie)

I'm an Aussie who, unfortunately, slept through the dramatic ending. (Shame on me for thinking England had it in the bag at the halfway mark.) But I would have loved to watch it live. From all accounts, it was one of, if not the greatest one day international of all time.

James018

Postby James018 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:40 am

bumpuss wrote:why play 50 overs? just for it to be decided in one over?

If its a tie, its a tie!

While I wouldn't necessarily hate the World Cup being shared, I can understand how it would feel awkward for both sides, to play through a thrilling finale and yet not get a definitive result. I can understand sharing the trophy if the final gets washed out, since the awarding of the World Cup in that case would be anticlimactic regardless of how it's decided, and they might as well share it. But any actual final should be played to a result, however that may be arrived at.

For regular games where the only consequence is ranking points, table points or wins in a bilateral series ledger, I agree with you. There's nothing wrong with a tie remaining a tie.

bumpuss

Postby bumpuss » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:44 am

They should just flip a coin if its a tie.

James018

Postby James018 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:18 am

Lol. That might actually be the worst suggestion I've heard yet.

bumpuss

Postby bumpuss » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:00 am

James018 wrote:Lol. That might actually be the worst suggestion I've heard yet.

It’s not any different to playing a super over.. :lol:

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:44 am

James018 wrote:Lol. That might actually be the worst suggestion I've heard yet.

I think that they should have simulated the game on Stumped :mrgreen:
Manager of West Row Wyverns
Winner of the grand slam in season 13 (Dev, T20, SOD, Cup, International)
Breeder of Peach #1 bowler in the world.
Mainly does some England management stuff

Return to “Real Cricket”