Ashes

bumpuss

Re: Ashes

Postby bumpuss » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:11 am

Khawaja has always been the 1st one to be dropped..and then brought back..only to be dropped again :lol: Whilst other around arent dropped even though their performances have been worse (Marsh brothers for example).

They just have to either to stick with him at 3 or open and go through a full series. Fair enough if everyone around his is performing..but its not like that. The only one performing is Smith (they still dropped him for "concussion" lol)

James018

Postby James018 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:51 am

Counts the number of games played by Khawaja in this series.

Counts the number of games played by anyone named Marsh in this series.

Hmm... :think:

Fair point on everyone in the side not performing (part of the trouble is whoever replaces whoever gets dropped invariably fails to perform, too. Though, 'dropping Smith for "concussion"'? You're really pushing the envelope with that. Trolling's not entertaining when it's that obvious, soz.

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 am

I think the Aussies have got a very good set up if you ask me, as an Englishman I am jealous of the fact you have some people who can actually bat.

Granted Khawaja hasn't been great this series but he is generally a decent test batsman, much better than all bar Stokes and Root in the English team, and he is being dropped - that says somethign about the strength of the Aussie batting line up. Even Laboosh who was a replacement and no first choice looks pretty decent.

England's batting is shocking, Burns has done alright tbf to him, and Root is a proven performer although has generally struggled this series, the only other bat as mentioned above is Stokes. That is 3 batsman you can rely upon to score runs, thats pretty pathetic... Something isn't going right with English cricket if we can only produce 3 good test batsman at a time.

Bowling is more of an even playing field, the Aussies pace is fantastic, but they are almost too consistent to get wickets, which is rather funny. On a player to player basis the Aussies probably edge the bowling too. Anderson in English conditions could've been useful to play alongside Archer and Broad but hey ho can't have it all.
Manager of West Row Wyverns
Winner of the grand slam in season 13 (Dev, T20, SOD, Cup, International)
Breeder of Peach #1 bowler in the world.
Mainly does some England management stuff

bumpuss

Postby bumpuss » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:47 am

James018 wrote:Counts the number of games played by Khawaja in this series.

Fair point on everyone in the side not performing (part of the trouble is whoever replaces whoever gets dropped invariably fails to perform, too. Though, 'dropping Smith for "concussion"'? You're really pushing the envelope with that. Trolling's not entertaining when it's that obvious, soz.

Look at past series with Marshes involved :lol:

We all know Smith could have played and scored another 100 :P

Lunarlord34

Postby Lunarlord34 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:53 am

bumpuss wrote:

Or at the very least a couple of underperforming 50’s ;) :lol:

Stomalomalus

Postby Stomalomalus » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:31 am

rtj45 wrote:I think the Aussies have got a very good set up if you ask me, as an Englishman I am jealous of the fact you have some people who can actually bat.

Granted Khawaja hasn't been great this series but he is generally a decent test batsman, much better than all bar Stokes and Root in the English team, and he is being dropped - that says somethign about the strength of the Aussie batting line up. Even Laboosh who was a replacement and no first choice looks pretty decent.

England's batting is shocking, Burns has done alright tbf to him, and Root is a proven performer although has generally struggled this series, the only other bat as mentioned above is Stokes. That is 3 batsman you can rely upon to score runs, thats pretty pathetic... Something isn't going right with English cricket if we can only produce 3 good test batsman at a time.

Bowling is more of an even playing field, the Aussies pace is fantastic, but they are almost too consistent to get wickets, which is rather funny. On a player to player basis the Aussies probably edge the bowling too. Anderson in English conditions could've been useful to play alongside Archer and Broad but hey ho can't have it all.

The focus on the WC by the coaching team has not helped.

All the focus has been on pyjama cricket, not real cricket, and so our players have got completely the wrong mindset.

Couple that with our neverending misuse of the middle orders when bowling, and you get a recipe for test match failure.

I cannot wait until Bayliss has left the building and we get a coach who prioritises test match cricket again.

Drop Roy and Buttler, take the gloves off Bairstow and bring in red ball cricketers.

We'd have a much better looking team with:

Burns
Denly
Sibley (he will move up eventually)
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Foakes
Woakes (when fit) otherwise Curran
Archer
Leach
Broad

James018

Postby James018 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:36 am

Lunarlord34 wrote:
bumpuss wrote:

Or at the very least a couple of underperforming 50’s ;) :lol:

Concussion is a serious issue and really shouldn't be made light of like that but in all honesty you're probably right.

I do feel for RTJ. In a series where both sides have veered between average and shocking with the bat, Smith has been the difference. We're just lucky he's on our side.

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:22 pm

I'm amazed we are not all out yet.
Manager of West Row Wyverns
Winner of the grand slam in season 13 (Dev, T20, SOD, Cup, International)
Breeder of Peach #1 bowler in the world.
Mainly does some England management stuff

liquefry

Postby liquefry » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:23 pm

England’s batsmen had more tenacity than me last night - I made it to tea but fell asleep before it resumed. Aussies played well but English batsmen also showed graft here, they almost managed to hold out. A grit game and deserved win to Australia,

James018

Postby James018 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:59 am

Well, Australia retain the Ashes. Definitely confounded my thoughts on how the series would go. The pitches were a bit less grassy than expected, but mostly I'm just surprised England batted even worse than us :lol:

The final Test should still be interesting, partly because I'm not sure any of us have yet got a clear picture of how the teams stack up against each other (smith aside) and partly because the World Test Championship means the game still carries significant weight even if the Ashes have already been decided. 3-1 as opposed to 2-2 will look very different.

Return to “Real Cricket”