Ashes

MOD-tonk6464

Re: Ashes

Postby MOD-tonk6464 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:17 pm

What a crazy match!

Very disappointing finish from an Aussie perspective but a great fightback by England. Excellent innings by Stokes.
Manager of The Tonkers
Champions of Div.1 SOD (9 times), Div.1 T20 (10 times), Div.1 DEV and Stumped! Cup
Ex-National Manager of Australia - Champions Season 10 and 17

bumpuss

Postby bumpuss » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:11 pm

Poor captaincy by Tim Paine.

Can Australia win without Steve Smith? That is the question.

Lunarlord34

Postby Lunarlord34 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:23 am

Zephyr wrote:Was that the final in Canberra? I was at that game, that throw back to the bowlers end was at full throttle and forgivable, the throw to Lyon was a Lollypopper, that’s imo unforgivable error. The GOAT will be back with a vengeance in game 4 and all forgiven. 8-)

Edit: on the bbl runnout. From memory Binga was backing up from bowlers end and missed the runoyt from a poor throw, I thought it was Moses Enrique’s. A direct hit was not needed.

I forget where the final was, I just remember it was Binga's last over ever.
I thought it was Moise's at the bowlers end and he just went without the ball, similar to Lyon's, except Lyon didn't have to take it then go towards the stumps. Either way, both were chokes (although the Moise's one would've only tied a game).

bumpuss wrote:Poor captaincy by Tim Paine.

Can Australia win without Steve Smith? That is the question.

Considering Australia should've won that match? Yes they clearly can. I don't see how having Smith when defending 350 odd would've made us choke any less, other than maybe we could've had a few more to defend (but then again, if we're speaking hypothetical's so much would've been different.

No credit away from England, fantastic comeback and you have to be in it to win it, but I view it more as an Aus loss than an Eng win and I doubt Aus can recover from this heartbreak, knowing it was their game to lose.

Lunarlord34

Postby Lunarlord34 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:30 am

MOD-tonk6464 wrote:What a crazy match!

Very disappointing finish from an Aussie perspective but a great fightback by England. Excellent innings by Stokes.

That's a light way of saying it from both perspectives. Gutted, but think about how England could've cruised if they had simply batted better in their first innings.

Zephyr

Postby Zephyr » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:43 am

Lunarlord34 wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Was that the final in Canberra? I was at that game, that throw back to the bowlers end was at full throttle and forgivable, the throw to Lyon was a Lollypopper, that’s imo unforgivable error. The GOAT will be back with a vengeance in game 4 and all forgiven. 8-)

Edit: on the bbl runnout. From memory Binga was backing up from bowlers end and missed the runoyt from a poor throw, I thought it was Moses Enrique’s. A direct hit was not needed.

I forget where the final was, I just remember it was Binga's last over ever.
I thought it was Moise's at the bowlers end and he just went without the ball, similar to Lyon's, except Lyon didn't have to take it then go towards the stumps. Either way, both were chokes (although the Moise's one would've only tied a game).

Definitely in Canberra. Your right though Binga was bowling and on a hat trick. Henriques fumbled

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:23 pm

Woops. :mrgreen: that was highly entertaining.
Manager of West Row Wyverns
Winner of the grand slam in season 13 (Dev, T20, SOD, Cup, International)
Breeder of Peach #1 bowler in the world.
Mainly does some England management stuff

MOD-tonk6464

Postby MOD-tonk6464 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:29 am

Lunarlord34 wrote:
MOD-tonk6464 wrote:What a crazy match!

That's a light way of saying it from both perspectives. Gutted, but think about how England could've cruised if they had simply batted better in their first innings.

Yeah I was gutted too.

I don't think I've ever seen a test match where a team has scored below 100 in their first innings and then won the match. Crazy! Paine obviously needs to improve his use of DRS. And some of our batsmen need to actually score runs.

Khawaja's form has been woeful for a long time now (except for one century against a Sri Lankan 2nd XI). I like Khawaja but I think he has to be the player to make way for Steve Smith's return.
Manager of The Tonkers
Champions of Div.1 SOD (9 times), Div.1 T20 (10 times), Div.1 DEV and Stumped! Cup
Ex-National Manager of Australia - Champions Season 10 and 17

bumpuss

Postby bumpuss » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:13 am

Bit of a joke to drop Khawaja.

Warne & Harris both have failed, havent scored runs at all. Generally have exposed Khawaja quite early and he does well generally to see of the new ball.

Then you have Wade & Paine both shouldnt be in the XI, but we know Paine is in only for his captaincy.

Then you have Marnus who has batted down the order, with the ball older and wicket flatter, naturally easier to score runs.

Head has done ok..but could do better as well.

Wade should have been dropped..but anyway I cant see AUstralia winning the next test. Though they have a good chance with Woakes out.

It will be interesting to see if they drop Harris/Wade/Labu/Warner if they dont perform (I doubt they will...).

James018

Postby James018 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:26 pm

Gee, I wonder which players you like and don't like :think:

Lunarlord34

Postby Lunarlord34 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:08 am

I found this image and it beautifully sums up Smith's form right now :lol:

Return to “Real Cricket”