16yo AR

NotDanAndrew

16yo AR

Postby NotDanAndrew » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Hey, just came over from FTP to have a little browse around here. Been told that my YP (is it called that here?) is a quality player so guessing I should probably let a better team have him...

http://www.stumpedgame.com/player.php?Player=195413

Currently training fielding, coach is rated 4. Slightly off topic but is that good enough? What would he be worth?

Also any current or ex FTPers... what are market values like around here? Relatively similar?

conradij

Re: 16yo AR

Postby conradij » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:06 pm

NotDanAndrew wrote:Hey, just came over from FTP to have a little browse around here. Been told that my YP (is it called that here?) is a quality player so guessing I should probably let a better team have him...

Currently training fielding, coach is rated 4. Slightly off topic but is that good enough? What would he be worth?

Also any current or ex FTPers... what are market values like around here? Relatively similar?

Welcome!

Personally, I'd recommend keeping him and playing him as much as possible. You'll be able to develop him much better than a top team because of the game time you'll be able to give him. You could then think about selling him when he's close to his potential.

He should be good for you across all formats as an all rounder. For a top team he will be a good bowler but with handy batting rather than all rounder.
Stumped team: Pro Crastinators http://www.stumpedgame.com/club.php?Team=126

Stomalomalus

Postby Stomalomalus » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:16 pm

NotDanAndrew wrote:Hey, just came over from FTP to have a little browse around here. Been told that my YP (is it called that here?) is a quality player so guessing I should probably let a better team have him...

I second keeping him. Stop training fielding, though, switch to bowling and play him in all matches. Will be a good player, but spinners tend to go for less than quicks on the market unless they're genuine ARs. With 5 extra batting points, he'd have been excellent.

NotDanAndrew

Postby NotDanAndrew » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Stomalomalus wrote:I second keeping him. Stop training fielding, though, switch to bowling and play him in all matches. Will be a good player, but spinners tend to go for less than quicks on the market unless they're genuine ARs. With 5 extra batting points, he'd have been excellent.

Thanks for your responses both :thumbup:
He will definitely be playing every game for me. Already my second best bowler.
He's only on fielding because I don't have a good bowling coach. Few more questions I guess:

1) How important is fielding? Why would you not train it now?
2) How important is the quality of my coaches?

Maybe I need to read through the newbie guides a bit more.

conradij

Postby conradij » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:50 pm

In my opinion

Training basics:
Game time is more important than coaching. Game time means facing at least one ball as a batsman; bowling as many overs as possible as a bowler

Fielding and stamina don't need coaching time

Train up to 21 years old or 2 points away from maximum, whichever comes first

Swap coaching at each pop (either to a new player or skill)

Aim for your coaches to be 10-15 in batting or bowling. It is usually worth training your own coaches, as long as they are young

conradij

Postby conradij » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:02 pm

NotDanAndrew wrote:
Stomalomalus wrote:I second keeping him. Stop training fielding, though, switch to bowling and play him in all matches. Will be a good player, but spinners tend to go for less than quicks on the market unless they're genuine ARs. With 5 extra batting points, he'd have been excellent.

He's only on fielding because I don't have a good bowling coach. Few more questions I guess:

1. Important but develops nicely from game time, so is usually a waste of a coach

2. They're important but not critical. I would be quite confident that a player playing 3 games a week would develop significantly faster than a player playing no games and being trained by a 20 skill coach.

It's quite easy to train a good coach and usually worth the missed coaching time. Over 10 is useful. A coach over 15 skill is likely to end up bankrupting most players for only marginal benefit.

Stomalomalus

Postby Stomalomalus » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:05 pm

NotDanAndrew wrote:

He'll reach as close to fielding potential as possible without training. His fielding is already high. I only train fielding when it's really low (1 player had fielding 4/20, so he was being trained. He'll switch as soon as I buy my new coach, if anyone will sell me one!!!)

NotDanAndrew

Postby NotDanAndrew » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Thanks for your advice all :thumbup:

I'll try and find a bowling coach now. Hoping someone outbids me on the coach I just bid on... woops

conradij

Postby conradij » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:35 pm

NotDanAndrew wrote:Thanks for your advice all :thumbup:

I'll try and find a bowling coach now. Hoping someone outbids me on the coach I just bid on... woops

:shock: Yes, he would devour your club from the inside out...

mike778

Postby mike778 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:44 pm

That would be a disaster if you get him ... unless someone can bail you out and buy him off you. Maybe we should have a whip round.

I use 10 skill coaches. Seems to be the sweet spot where they are nice and cheap but do a good job. When you have cash 15 is OK but seems a bit of a luxury. 20 skill coaches are not a good idea at all. For a new team, I would turn a 30 year old player into a coach and then send him on courses to get his skill to abut 5. That will do for now.

Re fielding. Reason why its not worth coaching it is that players improve fielding every game. With batting you only improve if they get a bat and 10 wicket wins happen. Ditto with bowlers and you need them to get a decent number of overs in. So batsmen and bowlers can miss out on in-game development so need more help from a coach.

Generally though in-game training is more important and new teams can give their best prospects a lot of game time so shouldn't spend much on coaches.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and now also manager of the mighty South African national side.

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20
-Short League Champions - S19, S20
-Runners up in English 2020 (S19) and Cup

Return to “Valuations/Offers”