Update to Thrashings

rtj45

Update to Thrashings

Postby rtj45 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:11 pm

Remember all those glorious seasons ago when we got the updated Thrashings, a team full of your Stumped! heroes.

Well, is it not time to update that with our most recent and modern heroes?

Thrashings is currently built up of the best retired players from around the end of season 12/13? Since then, many a great player has bit the dust. Thrashings was originally designed to keep these players like waxwork models, a prime version of the player that we remember at their peak. Unfortunately, they seem to have aged a bit and with it skill decline has kicked in. As part of this update I propose that Thrashings skills remain immoveable and fixed at their peak values.

So, whats in this update?

Well the current squad is built of 18 players, with at least one retired hero from each country. There is also a balance of 8 batsman, 2 wicket keepers and 8 bowlers.

The current team:

Batsmen
Jim Chifney (Australia)
Neville Crawford (Australia)
Crispin Frayn (Australia)
Reilly Freemantle (West Indies)
Ian Denley (England)
Farhat Azeem (Pakistan)
Naseef Mannan (Bangladesh)
Alexander Wainwright (Zimbabwe)

Wicketkeepers
Lawrence Bayliss (England)
Dhiraj Mohaiemen (Bangladesh)

Bowlers
Claudey Cat (Sri Lanka)
Matthew Dyson (South Africa)
Shan Elahi (Pakistan)
Bhupinder Vasudev (India)
Cliff Monroe (New Zealand)
Tam Fahey (New Zealand)
Richard McGrath (Australia)
Shakir Tariq (Pakistan)

With enough support, Rob mentions that he may have time to have a look into this and update the Thrashings team, something that I would be keen to see updated.

So please, post those retired players who are no longer eligible to play club cricket here, and let them fight it out for a spot on the hall of fame!

RT
Manager of West Row Warriors
Winner of all available titles in Season 13 (Dev, T20, SOD, Cup, International)
Breeder of Peach #1 bowler in the world.
Former world #1

rtj45

Re: Update to Thrashings

Postby rtj45 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:11 pm

My suggestions for new additions:

Dev Luther - wicketkeeper - England. Retired far too young. One of the best keepers ever and just sits behind David Westbrook in terms of ability and records, could've pipped him if given the lifespan!

Anthony Sitch - Batsman - Australia - Whether it is for the right or the wrong reasons, Sitch is famous on Stumped! He smashed runs, occasionally and he played a lot of games. Sitch was a crowd favourite and his manager Lunarlord was always vocal for his support in his player despite his average record.

Claude Foster
- Bowler - Australia - A Stumped! Superstar. He was probably the best bowler in game early on and helped Dingoes win lots of titles and Australia too!

Chirag Lalith
- Bowler - India - One of the most successful club captains on the game, leading West Row to Back to back cup titles, the first team to do so. Lalith also had an illustrious career with India, captaining them 50 times. Very useful top order bat and handy economical bowler. The only player in history to hit 7700 rating points.

Nirnay Padmasola
- Bowler - India - So much promise and not a huge amount of return. Either way Padmasola is still known as the best potential player out there. Very rarely do you get a 50/50 + pull. If only he had used to it his full potential.

Shakoor Shakir
- Batsman - Bangladesh - Retired very young, but still a top notch international player. He is the Bangladeshi you were afraid of and one you had to get out!

Aahan Sridevan
- Bowler - Bangladesh - I think with the talent available he is unlikely to push out other candidates, but 75 wickets in 40 games was an impressive feat, a great wicket taker.

Glenmore Pitcher
- Bowler - New Zealand -Took over 100 wickets for the Kiwis and could also wield the willow with some feisty lower order hitting.

Marshall Prince
- Batsman - New Zealand - over 2000 runs in plenty of aggressive opening knocks, 2 international 100s shows his talent.

Sami Fakhir
- Batsman - Pakistan - So yes, this will be it for the formidable Fakhir. At the end of this season I will be retiring the great that is Fakhir. 3450 international runs and over 20000 club runs. He will always be in the hall of fame and always in the best team of Stumped! He has hit a phenomenal number of 200s and lit the stage when clobbering England for 167* in the first international in season 6.

Aalbrecht Burger
- Batsman - South Africa - Crazy. This guy single handedly took Dirty Pete Sanchez Crew to the cup final, twice. His average in cup matches was at one point, after around 40 games, somehwere in the 90s. Not only that but he also held the South African top order together for a few seasons, oh and took them to an international final, their only ever international final.

Gerardus Fouche - Bowler - South Africa - Snuck up on the total wickets in internationals like a ninja in the night. 120 wickets was a phenomenal effort for a rouge death bowler.

Nuwan Palasandiran
- Batsman - Sri Lanka - 2800+ runs and did it with a smile. I hated playing this guy and he lost me at least 2 league titles... One of Stumped!'s great batsmen.

Lahiru Sinnaithurai
- Bowler - Sri Lanka - A very useful medium pacer who also was handy with the bat. Just shy of 100 international wickets, and deserved to get those last few before botdom.

Struggled to find a Zimbabwean - apologies :P
Former world #1

ltraynor

Postby ltraynor » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:54 am

It depends on whether the criteria is Club or National

As someone who has been involved in the national side for a while now as Manager and assistant I'd say the Australian Internationals that made the most impact are probably:

Batsman

Crawford
Caldwell
Berrisford

Bowlers

Samlant
Bashford

I'd also offer an alternative with current players as either an extra or instead of depending on time constraints. Using this world cup to determine the World XI based on current players as it might be more relevant to players currently playing the game.

Also it's funny what you say about Sitch who was indeed average, Bowden has been the better batsman coming out of The Reds we need some trademark Lunar talking about his exploits.
Manager of Lauderdale CC
Australian National Team Manager
National Duties: Will Bristow (Australia) Luke Traynor (Australia) Javed Miandad (Pakistan) Mitul Patel (Bangladesh)
Dev Luther (England) - Retired Percy Keen (Australia) - Retired

MOD-tonk6464

Postby MOD-tonk6464 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:39 am

rtj45 wrote:My suggestions for new additions:

Dev Luther - wicketkeeper - England. Retired far too young. One of the best keepers ever and just sits behind David Westbrook in terms of ability and records, could've pipped him if given the lifespan!

Anthony Sitch - Batsman - Australia - Whether it is for the right or the wrong reasons, Sitch is famous on Stumped! He smashed runs, occasionally and he played a lot of games. Sitch was a crowd favourite and his manager Lunarlord was always vocal for his support in his player despite his average record.

Claude Foster
- Bowler - Australia - A Stumped! Superstar. He was probably the best bowler in game early on and helped Dingoes win lots of titles and Australia too!

Chirag Lalith
- Bowler - India - One of the most successful club captains on the game, leading West Row to Back to back cup titles, the first team to do so. Lalith also had an illustrious career with India, captaining them 50 times. Very useful top order bat and handy economical bowler. The only player in history to hit 7700 rating points.

Nirnay Padmasola
- Bowler - India - So much promise and not a huge amount of return. Either way Padmasola is still known as the best potential player out there. Very rarely do you get a 50/50 + pull. If only he had used to it his full potential.

Shakoor Shakir
- Batsman - Bangladesh - Retired very young, but still a top notch international player. He is the Bangladeshi you were afraid of and one you had to get out!

Aahan Sridevan
- Bowler - Bangladesh - I think with the talent available he is unlikely to push out other candidates, but 75 wickets in 40 games was an impressive feat, a great wicket taker.

Glenmore Pitcher
- Bowler - New Zealand -Took over 100 wickets for the Kiwis and could also wield the willow with some feisty lower order hitting.

Marshall Prince
- Batsman - New Zealand - over 2000 runs in plenty of aggressive opening knocks, 2 international 100s shows his talent.

Sami Fakhir
- Batsman - Pakistan - So yes, this will be it for the formidable Fakhir. At the end of this season I will be retiring the great that is Fakhir. 3450 international runs and over 20000 club runs. He will always be in the hall of fame and always in the best team of Stumped! He has hit a phenomenal number of 200s and lit the stage when clobbering England for 167* in the first international in season 6.

Aalbrecht Burger
- Batsman - South Africa - Crazy. This guy single handedly took Dirty Pete Sanchez Crew to the cup final, twice. His average in cup matches was at one point, after around 40 games, somehwere in the 90s. Not only that but he also held the South African top order together for a few seasons, oh and took them to an international final, their only ever international final.

Gerardus Fouche - Bowler - South Africa - Snuck up on the total wickets in internationals like a ninja in the night. 120 wickets was a phenomenal effort for a rouge death bowler.

Nuwan Palasandiran
- Batsman - Sri Lanka - 2800+ runs and did it with a smile. I hated playing this guy and he lost me at least 2 league titles... One of Stumped!'s great batsmen.

Lahiru Sinnaithurai
- Bowler - Sri Lanka - A very useful medium pacer who also was handy with the bat. Just shy of 100 international wickets, and deserved to get those last few before botdom.

Struggled to find a Zimbabwean - apologies :P

Nice one Rtj. All great players worthy of consideration. :thumbup:

Would they potentially replace current Thrashings players or simply be added to the squad?

By the way, David Westbrook's retirement is imminent and I think he deserves to be considered as one of the greatest WK/Bats of all time. Luther was outstanding as well - shame his career was cut short. I'd say Luther and Westbrook are the two best keepers of all time.
Manager of The Tonkers - Winners of the career 'Grand Slam' (Div.1 SOD, T20, DEV & The Stumped! Cup)
Ex-National Manager of Australia - Champions Season 10 and 17

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:29 am

ltraynor wrote:It depends on whether the criteria is Club or National

As someone who has been involved in the national side for a while now as Manager and assistant I'd say the Australian Internationals that made the most impact are probably:

Batsman

Crawford
Caldwell
Berrisford

Bowlers

Samlant
Bashford

I'd also offer an alternative with current players as either an extra or instead of depending on time constraints. Using this world cup to determine the World XI based on current players as it might be more relevant to players currently playing the game.

Also it's funny what you say about Sitch who was indeed average, Bowden has been the better batsman coming out of The Reds we need some trademark Lunar talking about his exploits.

I forgot Bashford :oops:

I think a World XI would also be very cool, but think that would be a different update to this.

Agree with the Aussies you've summarised, all ruthless and world beating. Thrashings can only have retired players atm though and most of them are stil thrashing club teams :D .
Former world #1

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:31 am

MOD-tonk6464 wrote:
Nice one Rtj. All great players worthy of consideration. :thumbup:

Would they potentially replace current Thrashings players or simply be added to the squad?

By the way, David Westbrook's retirement is imminent and I think he deserves to be considered as one of the greatest WK/Bats of all time. Luther was outstanding as well - shame his career was cut short. I'd say Luther and Westbrook are the two best keepers of all time.

Umm, I personally think some of the entries in Thrashings are dubious to say the least and were purely added to make it up to 18. I'd go for replacing them tbh, and if we need more than 18 to get all the best players in so be it.

I think we could definitely streamline this team to 18 though...

Westbrook would 100% be in it if he were to retire too, could join Fakhir as a season 20 casualty. Peach wants to get in that Thrashings team too but I am stubborn and not retiring him until he ges 500 T20 wickets... :P
Former world #1

Lunarlord34

Postby Lunarlord34 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:46 pm

In my defence, Sitch’s average was 60 at one point :lol: :P (over 100 games at that point as well if memory serves as well) Scored bucketloads till probably the last 2 seasons at the club then completely dried up and he didn’t score runs ever again for anyone :lol:

Bowden’s Average has never gone over 40 for me and he hasn’t lived up the same club exploits, though his nat career has defiantly smashed Sitch’s so interesting comparison there (though Sitch’s unbeaten Nat hundred is still the best knock for either bat). Maybe once he wins a batting award at the very least I’ll sing his praises :P or singlehandely win us matches would be a good start :yawn: or overtake his run tally, played nearly 50 games more and will probably take till he’s more than 50 past his game tally before he overtakes Sitch’s run tally for the club

Lunarlord34

Postby Lunarlord34 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:56 pm

And for Zimbabwe, only 2 retired players I could suggest would be Kit Bird or Scott Jeffries. Though the latter maybe not large enough sample size, Bird has a more than reasonable record especially given his skill (helped he always had high touch). Maybe Manzini since his career is coming to a close soon as well, but hard to put him in with his alright stats (tbf at club and bat level his bowlers didn’t give him many chances, though his nat record with the bat is hideous and no excuses there bar mostly batting at 6/7) especially comparing his stats to a Luther or Westbrook. Though Westbrook’s nat batting record is also horrible, so if I had to pick I would probably pick Luther.

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:52 pm

Lunarlord34 wrote:And for Zimbabwe, only 2 retired players I could suggest would be Kit Bird or Scott Jeffries. Though the latter maybe not large enough sample size, Bird has a more than reasonable record especially given his skill (helped he always had high touch). Maybe Manzini since his career is coming to a close soon as well, but hard to put him in with his alright stats (tbf at club and bat level his bowlers didn’t give him many chances, though his nat record with the bat is hideous and no excuses there bar mostly batting at 6/7) especially comparing his stats to a Luther or Westbrook. Though Westbrook’s nat batting record is also horrible, so if I had to pick I would probably pick Luther.

I think Manzini is probably the favourite to get on the team once he retires. Can just force 3 wicketkeepers into the squad tbh. Long term maybe Maarten? Lets be honest here, Zimbabwe are struggling :P
Former world #1

bumpuss

Postby bumpuss » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:07 am

Jefferies just played out his skin. Average skills but his performance bat,bowl and fielding were up there :D

Agree with the Lankans.

Return to “Suggestions”