Retirement Hall of Fame - Alistair Scarlett

stellar99

Retirement Hall of Fame - Alistair Scarlett

Postby stellar99 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi All,

With a heavy heart, I'll be retiring one of my star players Mr. Alistair Scarlett from Stellar Soldiers set-up. Though we try many players like side dish and throw them out, we have several home grown players, who are real champs. I have Alistair Scarlett and Ikram Riaz, who had done a lot of great deal to this club, since it's inception. The proud fact is, both had spent their entire careers only with Stellar Soldiers from being hired as youth scouts and I take pride in it. Riaz even played a lot for the Bangladeshi NAT. He may continue playing for one or two more seasons, but I think this is the right time for Captain Scarlett to say goodbye and let the followers take over the team.

Well, what can I write about a name, which is just an AI program display? No, he is more than that. He shared all my feelings. Sad when I'm sad, happy when I'm happy. Making me from sad to happy. A leader par excellence, who at times when I was down, had given me lot of confidence with his batting and bowling. An all-rounder who scored in excess of 10,000 runs for us (Riaz also had done it), pushed us into several Div 1 leagues, though we didn't win any yet, gave the confidence that we can beat anyone on our day. That in turn, gave me confidence in facing my real life issues with lot of self-belief. I still vividly remember his contribution in a friendly T20 against the then World No. 1 team Karachi, which ended in a tie, after which our team gained lot of confidence.

Personally, when I went through tough times, this AI man had put a smile in my face with his performances. More than people, I could trust this well written program, which more often than not, succeeded. So, all the credit naturally goes to the developers of this beautiful game, Andy and Rob. You have created something which is a part of my life for the past 6 years.

It is so hard to let Captain Scarlett go, (Yes, I got introduced to the classic TV series also by Lizzie :D ) but it is time for us to move on from his legendary shadow. When I was English NAT assistant manager and manager, he made it to the shortlist, but as my friend Richie said, he was 'just short' of making it to the NATs.

My IT job, writing, cycling, traveling and then Stumped became my life. Scarlett is an important cog in that wheel, coming along with me in my mobile, wherever I go. He took our team to its best rankings of 43 in the mid-season, from which we slipped a lot now. It will be a fitting tribute for him, if we realign ourselves to end up in Top 20 soon.

He will be playing his last match for us in two games, a friendly SOD and a friendly T20, both against my good friend Lizzie's Iceni Warriors. I'm yet undecided, whether to use him as a coach, or leave him to enjoy his post retirement. I am in favor of the second, as I see a bit of myself in him.

Thank you for patiently reading my monologue about being in love with a program!

http://www.stumpedgame.com/player.php?Player=123442

Warm Regards,
Stellar Ram.

mike778

Re: Retirement Hall of Fame - Alistair Scarlett

Postby mike778 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:45 pm

Very moving but was kind of expecting him to be revealed.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and now also manager of the mighty South African national side.

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20
-Short League Champions - S19, S20
-Runners up in English 2020 (S19) and Cup

stellar99

Postby stellar99 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:11 am

mike778 wrote:Very moving but was kind of expecting him to be revealed.

Thank you Mikey. Just before the end of the original post where I convey my regards, I've already given the player link. If you had missed it, here it is one again.

http://www.stumpedgame.com/player.php?Player=123442

His max bat power was 40 and bowl power was 38, both got reduced a lot due to age.

Thanks once again for your valuable time taken to read it share your views.

Warm Regards,
Stellar Ram.

mike778

Postby mike778 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:23 am

Saw the player link, just would be interested to his skills revealed (acknowledging his currents will have dropped over the years)
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and now also manager of the mighty South African national side.

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20
-Short League Champions - S19, S20
-Runners up in English 2020 (S19) and Cup

stellar99

Postby stellar99 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:50 am

mike778 wrote:Saw the player link, just would be interested to his skills revealed (acknowledging his currents will have dropped over the years)

Oh sorry, I am a fool. Just now I revealed it. I am really sorry that I was too slow to realize your point.

stellar99

Postby stellar99 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Update: Thanks for Lizzie for giving two proper send-off games for Scarlett, in both SOD and T20 formats. He scored 17 from 18 balls in the SOD game, 7* from 5 balls in the T20 game, and picked 3/48 from 4 overs in the same T20 game.

Now I've made Captain Scarlett the head coach of Stellar Soldiers, to prolong his career with Stumped set up. I'm recusing another home grown former player and 42 year old and an experienced coach Balwant Kanwar in the coach sale market.

Warm Regards,
Stellar Ram.

Return to “Game Matters”