tail batting

bura

tail batting

Postby bura » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:40 pm

What do you look for?

For myself, the question arises because I am not sure how much defence and SS is bare minimum given that I would mostly look for the attack.

How good/bad are these 3 variations 17/2/11 vs 11/2/7 vs 10/10/10

mike778

Re: tail batting

Postby mike778 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Depends what you mean by tail batting ? Are you talking your number 8 or your number 10 ?

Generally speaking I like to bat to around 9 with players that have in the region of 32-35 batting. Of my 7-9 I like having a couple of hitters and one who is a bit more balanced. Not too fussed about my numbers 10 and 11 - whatever goes (although technically they are both all rounders atm)
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and now also manager of the mighty South African national side.

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21
-Short League Champions - S19, S20

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:51 pm

bura wrote:What do you look for?

For myself, the question arises because I am not sure how much defence and SS is bare minimum given that I would mostly look for the attack.

How good/bad are these 3 variations 17/2/11 vs 11/2/7 vs 10/10/10

Tail batting doesnt matter much imo.

Get 5 good bats from 1-5 (preferably with high stamina and batting traits (in order I'd rate batting traits as follows: quick runner/ opener/ strike rotator/ finisher/ back footed/ front footed/ Slow starter) All are good traits and any combination of two is great. Iceman & Superstar can also be good batting traits and fielding traits also help.

With your all rounders you want in order: good bowlers, decent stamina, generally aggressive mindset batting, bowling traits (batting traits are ok but bowling traits are important).

My fav bowling traits roughly in order: (Unorthodox Action/ Poker-Faced/ Flight & Guile/ Economical/ Death Bowler/ Reverse Swinger/ New Ball Spinner/ Partnership Breaker).

Any batting helps obviously but focus on the core elements and develop the all round batting depth after that.

(oh and keepers who can actually catch the ball help reduce byes/drops massively etc., ie 14+ keeping is probably a decent standard to aim for)
Manager of West Row Wyverns
Winner of the grand slam in season 13 (Dev, T20, SOD, Cup, International)
Breeder of Peach #1 bowler in the world.
Mainly does some England management stuff

bura

Postby bura » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:15 pm

Thanks for the responses. Financially, I am not that well off so that I can afford to buy a true AR for my 7-9. Not that lucky to pull one either. As mentioned earlier these 3 variations are kind of in my affordability range. 17/2/11 vs 11/2/7 vs 10/10/10.

So let's say max potential being 30 how would place them for your 7-9 range and ideally how would you want the 30 potential to be distributed among skills. Skewed heavy towards SS or attack or balanced?

Let's take talents and stamina out of the equation for now. But yes I would probably set higher stamina one relatively up the order.

ZeroMoment

Postby ZeroMoment » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:18 am

Generally, a batsman recognises the need to attack or defend through his SS skills. If you have a lower order batsman who is low in SS then he might be defending the balls which in normal circumstances a batsman should be slogging/attacking.

Similarly, if your team needs lets say 10 runs out of 15 balls, lower SS batsman will be trying to slog instead of playing a push or at max an attack shot. In this situation, if the batsman has high attack skill, he might get a few runs out of slog. Otherwise, with low attack skills he would end up losing his wicket.

Tactically, you wouldn't worry about having any batting skills for your 9,10 and 11th player. Trying to have good batting skills for your lower order is not efficient or economical. For example, you don't need their batting every innings but you still pay their wages and they'll be expensive to buy or train etc.

Stomalomalus

Postby Stomalomalus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:50 am

ZeroMoment wrote:Generally, a batsman recognises the need to attack or defend through his SS skills. If you have a lower order batsman who is low in SS then he might be defending the balls which in normal circumstances a batsman should be slogging/attacking.

Similarly, if your team needs lets say 10 runs out of 15 balls, lower SS batsman will be trying to slog instead of playing a push or at max an attack shot. In this situation, if the batsman has high attack skill, he might get a few runs out of slog. Otherwise, with low attack skills he would end up losing his wicket.

Tactically, you wouldn't worry about having any batting skills for your 9,10 and 11th player. Trying to have good batting skills for your lower order is not efficient or economical. For example, you don't need their batting every innings but you still pay their wages and they'll be expensive to buy or train etc.

My 7 and 8 are 17/5/13 and 10/8/16. They get a lot of runs. Below that, I don't really care. My 9 has 29 batting at 12/4/13, but my 10 is my w/k currently. I like a relatively long tail but wouldn't sacrifice core skills to get that. My no8 was one of my first ever purchases and is a WI International. He only keeps his place because his bowling is better than his skills would suggest, not because his batting skill makes up for not being a 42+ bowler.

bura

Postby bura » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:15 pm

I have heard the ME tries to utilize 70% of the batting at the end of the innings. Can anyone please explain that to me in details? And how it helps in setting targets, etc.

Recently, I had a few spectacular collapses in batting. So trying to tune my orders so that I can avoid those. But tbh I don't pay much attention to game commentaries to take cues from there as I chose the leagues in the wrong timezone by mistake when I began.

James018

Postby James018 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:10 am

I believe the thought is that at every stage of the innings, whether at the start or the end, the batsmen plan their approach in such a way that they'd use 70% of the "remaining" batting ability. So, suppose you're 4 down with 2 more recognised batsmen to come, a couple of bowling allrounders and a couple of bowlers with not much batting ability. 70% of those resources might be the two batsmen and one of the allrounders. So, they'll choose their aggression with the idea that they'll end the innings about 7 wickets down. If they lost another wicket, that would change, and it would now be 70% of the resources left after that. Make sense?

That's my understanding anyway. Rob, correct me if I'm wrong.

Return to “The Beginners Section”