how do you pick the order the players bat?

muzammil

how do you pick the order the players bat?

Postby muzammil » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:32 am

please tell me :?: :?:

Stomalomalus

Re: how do you pick the order the players bat?

Postby Stomalomalus » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:00 am

Depends how you want to play.

I like to match attacking and more defensive bats across the order, so I pick an opening pair that play off each other - one more attacking (either A or A+) and one more defensive (S or D). Unless I have someone with the opener trait, who gets 1. slot.

Then first drop I'll put another slightly more defensive player, followed by a balanced 4 and an attacking 5.

There are other differences.

I have a perfect opener who has high aggression, so I balance that with a low match aggression and pick him at 1 or 2 depending on the wicket. But in T20 games, he bats 8.

Otherwise, I just load the best bats up top.

angeltoast

Postby angeltoast » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:13 pm

Anyone with 'Opener' characteristic first, even if they are a bowler. Then those with most batting experience, saving any with 'Finisher' characteristic till about #6
Lizzie Mills, manager of ...
  • Iceni Cricket Club
  • West Indies national team

mike778

Postby mike778 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:28 pm

-Charactaristics
-Stamina
-Overall skill
-Handedness
-Skill Balance

All of these to some extent. Ideally I want an opener to have good defence, stamina, be a decent bat generally, have opener trait, maybe have slow starter and use the opposite hand to the other opener.

Failing that, just fiddle with a players position (so to speak) until he finds a spot that works.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and now also manager of the mighty South African national side.

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20
-Short League Champions - S19, S20
-Runners up in English 2020 (S19) and Cup

Stomalomalus

Postby Stomalomalus » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:23 pm

mike778 wrote:-Charactaristics
-Stamina
-Overall skill
-Handedness
-Skill Balance

All of these to some extent. Ideally I want an opener to have good defence, stamina, be a decent bat generally, have opener trait, maybe have slow starter and use the opposite hand to the other opener.

Failing that, just fiddle with a players position (so to speak) until he finds a spot that works.

This. One of my players is now an opener and averages 34 this season.

Last season at 4 or 5, he averaged 17...

There's more to it than that. He has low stamina, but strike rotater and is a key allrounder, so if he played all 3 games in a week...

I tried to have him hit the ball out of the park, and he would sometimes get a quick 30-40, and often fail for 8-12. Now I only really play him in 50 over games and ocassionally as a no8 in T20, and he performs much better.

But I'm really struggling with another player now, who was playing like a worldie until the wheels suddenly fell off and he hasn't scored a century in 2 months, with 8 single figure scores in that time...

Return to “The Beginners Section”