Characteristics - what are they good for?

Squarebear

Characteristics - what are they good for?

Postby Squarebear » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:26 pm

In the dim and distant past I played a soccer SIM called Xperteleven in which players had one of a number of characteristics. These purportedly made a slight difference to player performance but it wasn't significant.

So now I'm here, wondering whether the same applies to Stumped players? Do other managers pay heed to player characteristics and make adjustments accordingly?

As an aside, the first player I looked at is apparently a tail clearer. "Nice", I thought, but how does one know (beyond blind luck/probability) when I'm through to my opposition's tail-enders and should bowl him? (I, as presumably does everyone else) pick my bowling order prior to the match starting.

mike778

Re: Characteristics - what are they good for?

Postby mike778 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:21 pm

Squarebear wrote:In the dim and distant past I played a soccer SIM called Xperteleven in which players had one of a number of characteristics. These purportedly made a slight difference to player performance but it wasn't significant.

So now I'm here, wondering whether the same applies to Stumped players? Do other managers pay heed to player characteristics and make adjustments accordingly?

As an aside, the first player I looked at is apparently a tail clearer. "Nice", I thought, but how does one know (beyond blind luck/probability) when I'm through to my opposition's tail-enders and should bowl him? (I, as presumably does everyone else) pick my bowling order prior to the match starting.

Characteristics are pretty big in stumped. Having a good one will have a big impact on their price and usefulness whereas something like precocious will hurt it.

Re Tail Clearer. Stating the obvious but the later he bowls, the more chance he can use the trait positively. So when setting your bowling orders give him later spells. Don't make him take the new ball.

Ideally you want to match trait with your skills. Variation is needed for death bowling. So a bowler with high variation and tail clearer is very handy. They can bowl well at the death when hopefully the tail is in.

On the flip side, a pace bowler with new ball skills (high movement and low variation) would probably see tail clearer as a negative trait as he will often be bowling to top order batsmen.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and now also manager of the mighty South African national side.

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20
-Short League Champions - S19, S20
-Runners up in English 2020 (S19) and Cup

Return to “The Beginners Section”