Management Addicts

Let's avoid politics and religion though, they just cause trouble.
angeltoast

Management Addicts

Postby angeltoast » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:24 am

I know some folks here like to play other management games, and not just cricket, so you may like to try this one ...

https://www.gpro.net/?id=913864 (Edited, as suggested by liquefry)

It's like Stumped, but for Formula 1. You manage an F1 car, hiring a driver, improving the car, setting qualifying and race tactics, then helplessly watch how it does in the race. It's very professionally presented, with as much complexity as Stumped. I'm enjoying the (steep) learning curve, and waiting for my first race later today.
Last edited by angeltoast on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lizzie Mills, manager of ...
  • Iceni Cricket Club
  • West Indies national team

liquefry

Re: Management Addicts

Postby liquefry » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:50 pm

Signed up. My first thoughts are that it's more complex than I imagined, but it has some entry level stuff we could probably learn from:
- 10 minute text based tutorial which basically runs through the help guide for each element of the UI - it is really well done. Worth signing up just to see how this is done.
- certain aspects of the game are locked in lower divisions - I assume because they are too costly for newbies. Could use this as a model for ground staff for example, and maybe even max coaching skills (eg cap coach training for division 3-4 at say 14).
- mentoring program - seems good although I wont use it immediately
- the "practice" sessions have feedback from the driver and times to help fine tune tactics. The mouseover tips were much like our help guide in saying what the settings were for, but the feedback helped to contextualise this - what does a "high" level mean? The driver basically tells you "this setting is too high for the conditions". I assume this advice depends upon your driver's skill but it was quite helpful to understand the game better. It might be worth having something like that in Stumped for newer players, say on-ground feedback from the captain after the game. We do get this through commentary, but it might be good to have a new end of game "captain's look" which summarises promising and worrying elements of the play. eg "we threw our wickets away today" or "our bowlers were too defensive on a pitch that suited them" or something. This sort of user friendly feedback could give friendlies a bit more oomph as a more obvious way to tweak tactics, and help newer players better manage their team.

Anyway it looks fun even though I'm not into F1 at all!

liquefry

Postby liquefry » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:19 am

ps change your link to the game to the one from https://gpro.net/gb/InviteFriend.asp. Looks like you get membership credits for referrals.

angeltoast

Postby angeltoast » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:05 am

liquefry wrote:ps change your link to the game to the one from https://gpro.net/gb/InviteFriend.asp. Looks like you get membership credits for referrals.

Cool ... thanks, I didn't see that.
  • Iceni Cricket Club

angeltoast

Postby angeltoast » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:13 am

I used to love watching motor racing back in the day when it was called Motor Racing, and the drivers were Graham Hill and John Surtees and Jack Brabham, and the cars were built by the drivers in back-street garages for a few hundred pounds. My favourite times were the Mansell and Senna years, but apart from recognising one or two names, I don't know anything about modern F1.
  • Iceni Cricket Club

angeltoast

Postby angeltoast » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:21 am

Incidentally, in my first race, yesterday, my car qualified to 11th on the starting grid, and finished in the points at 6th - not bad for a first outing.
  • Iceni Cricket Club

jammycarrot

Postby jammycarrot » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:19 am

Used to play GPRO for quite a while a few years ago. There is a very steep difference once you move past the lowest tier. Also, everything is reset in that tier every season, meaning if you start poorly, a lot of people give up because it makes no difference to your next year to bother trying.

I also still (somewhere) have all the gpro calculation programs, which basically could tell you exactly what your setup should be given the weather/tyre type etc etc. It might be slightly outdated , but if you want it, let me know. Or just find a team to join, most of them have a copy of it and the more experienced will happily let you use it/do it for you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
jammycarrot:
Manager of All In The Wrists http://www.stumpedgame.com/club.php?Team=178
Trophy Cabinet: Empty except a shiny gold star from his teacher
Current Ability: Can fit 2 whole jaffa cakes in his mouth at once

Smokey

Postby Smokey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:47 am

I joined GPRO about halfway through season 70 and just missed out on promotion in S71.
I joined my first management game back in 2003. That was Managerzone, which is soccer and now also ice hockey (I still play that one).

Over the years I've tried countless management games for soccer, car racing and more recently, cricket and I currently play (to some extent), 3 soccer, 2 racing and 4 cricket games :?
That sounds a lot worse that it really is, as I don't spend any more than around 5-10 minutes a night on most of them, with only a couple getting a bit longer than that over the weekend (real life permitting).
The down-side to that, of course, is that I don't have the success that I could get if I was to get really serious about any of them, but they're a nice way to relax and chill out for a little while.

Buster

Postby Buster » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:55 pm

I have to confess that I am a sucker for these type of games and like many others here I have been involved in them for numerous years.

My current favourites, all of which I am active on a daily basis are........Maxithlon ( brilliant athletics game) active since 2013, GPRO ( as many others have said a fantastic formula 1 motor racing game) again active since 2013, Broken Bat ( Baseball game believe it or not) active since 2014, Rockin Soccer ( Football management) active since 2018 and of course here, active for one year as well.

I do honestly believe that we could learn a lot from all of the games that I have listed because although I have played many other games the ones that I have quoted all have something that we can learn from here so I would suggest that we have a close look at them.

If anyone wants any help or advice with any of these games please don’t hesitate to contact me because in everyone of them I am a capable mentor should you need one.

samir

Postby samir » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:40 am

angeltoast wrote:I know some folks here like to play other management games, and not just cricket, so you may like to try this one ...

https://www.gpro.net/?id=913864 (Edited, as suggested by liquefry)

It's like Stumped, but for Formula 1. You manage an F1 car, hiring a driver, improving the car, setting qualifying and race tactics, then helplessly watch how it does in the race. It's very professionally presented, with as much complexity as Stumped. I'm enjoying the (steep) learning curve, and waiting for my first race later today.

Have been playing gpro on and off for since Season 4. The game, while pretty good, ends up like battrick once you promote to Amateur. It becomes heavily dependent on your finances. Rookie car levels and funds get reset every EOS. You start with 30 million, however, if you take part in every race the previous season, you get a 5 million bonus. There is no funds or car reset once you promote to amateur. Do not hire a driver with a high salary, anything above 300k is high while in rookie. You will start bleeding on your finances.

People actually race a season and then spend 2 or 3 seasons accumulating funds to push for the next tier. Can be interesting, can be boring seeing your car smoke every race just because you don't have the funds to repair it.

If you browse the forum, you can search for GO. It's a small app that you should install on your laptop. It stores all your race data, fuel/lap, tyre usage etc which you'll need next season. Just like Battrick, many old time users have cracked the code on how to set up the car.

Also, there is a difference between set up numbers for practice and race. That's where players mess up.

Return to “Everything Else”