The Big 'Do Averages make a difference to youth pull' Survey

mike778

Re: The Big 'Do Averages make a difference to youth pull' Survey

Postby mike778 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:00 am

James018 wrote:The way I figure it is that batting, bowling and fielding is all likely to follow roughly the same distribution, whatever it may be. If it's what I suspect it is for batting (average usually correlates with current skill while potential is mostly random) then it's probably similar for bowling and fielding. And with enough data we could probably figure out how the averages of each compare (e.g. is a batsman who averages 50 better or worse than a bowler who averages 10).

I'd be perfectly happy with just batting data of course, but there's no reason not to collect all three as far as I'm concerned.

The way I see it.

-Like you say batting and bowling probably work similar so if you can find out the relationship between average and potential then it will probably cross-over. So in essence, you only need the one set of data, just batting will do
-Its less messing about if you just do batting so people are more likely to post hence a fuller dataset
-People should post every player so you should cover the full range. So even if you are looking for a bowler and scout someone with a very low batting average then you still post them

In response to Rtjs post about people just posting their good/bad scouts then maybe people should make one post and edit it. Then you can only include people in the dataset where they have posted every player they get - be easier to see who is posting reliably. So if someone just posts a couple of players with a gap then you disregard it as unreliable data.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and now also manager of the mighty South African national side.

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21
-Short League Champions - S19, S20

simmo

Postby simmo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:09 am

The listed averages are absolute bullsh!t and not worth having seriously. Another player today listed as 53 batting average with a potential batting of 26 (8 current). This player must have been playing against my sons under 10's side to get that average. What is the point of having averages listed if they mean nothing?? Absolutely pointless

Odin

Postby Odin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:28 am

mike778 wrote:
James018 wrote:The way I figure it is that batting, bowling and fielding is all likely to follow roughly the same distribution, whatever it may be. If it's what I suspect it is for batting (average usually correlates with current skill while potential is mostly random) then it's probably similar for bowling and fielding. And with enough data we could probably figure out how the averages of each compare (e.g. is a batsman who averages 50 better or worse than a bowler who averages 10).

I'd be perfectly happy with just batting data of course, but there's no reason not to collect all three as far as I'm concerned.

The way I see it.

-Like you say batting and bowling probably work similar so if you can find out the relationship between average and potential then it will probably cross-over. So in essence, you only need the one set of data, just batting will do
-Its less messing about if you just do batting so people are more likely to post hence a fuller dataset
-People should post every player so you should cover the full range. So even if you are looking for a bowler and scout someone with a very low batting average then you still post them

In response to Rtjs post about people just posting their good/bad scouts then maybe people should make one post and edit it. Then you can only include people in the dataset where they have posted every player they get - be easier to see who is posting reliably. So if someone just posts a couple of players with a gap then you disregard it as unreliable data.

This project requires one person to lead it.
Mike, you were the first person to bring this up. Now we've discussed it, perhaps you want to open a new thread, with very clear instructions, about how you want this to look? We don't need to debate it any more.
Cheers.

James018

Postby James018 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:05 am

Batting average 18.57, current 4, potential 24.
Bowling average 9.69, current 18, potential 29.
Fielding average 0.20 (fielder), current 0, potential 13.

Odin

Postby Odin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:10 am

Batting average 11.34, current 2, potential 22.
Bowling average 6.89, current 13, potential 36.
Fielding average 0.28 (fielder), current 4, potential 10.

liquefry

Postby liquefry » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:52 am

Batting average 18.63, current 5, potential 32
Bowling average 12.83, current 23, potential 39
Fielding average 0.23 (fielder), current 0, potential 15

Precocious - not sure if stats are informed by characteristics. This guy goes against my recent trend in that he's decent enough to list rather than be instantly sacked.

Stomalomalus

Postby Stomalomalus » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:10 am

Chamath Pereira Sri Lankan 25.70 right handed neutral 19.94 right handed seamer 0.49 fielder

6/15
Shot S. 4/7
Defense 0/16
Attack 3/6
Accuracy 6/16
Movement 3/9
Variation 4/8
Fielding 3/6
Keeping 1/14

bumpuss

Postby bumpuss » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:27 am

Odin wrote:
mike778 wrote:
James018 wrote:Just a reminder for everyone that it would be best to post full information if at all possible: average, skill and potential in batting, bowling and fielding.

Firstly, it gives more data (for poor averages as well as good ones, which is important for comparison).

Secondly, incomplete data is a bit of a giveaway that you're only here to lament the fact that you got a substandard player, which biases the data in exactly the way this survey is supposed to avoid.

Well the original plan was to just make it for bats - all mine have been batting only. More important to get the volume to avoid skewing the stats if people just put their good and bad scouts and not the mediocre ones. Bit worried people will not bother if they have to stick the bowling and fielding in as well.

Clarity will help here.
Indeed the original plan was simply batting average, batting potential.
Perhaps a new thread for this, with clearer instructions? If more data is wanted, it must be clearly requested - at least then people who have followed the thread carefully will get it right. We've got until next Weds to figure out exactly what data we want, and how to collect it.

Dont think it makes any difference. It should all offset each other IF there is correlation between averages and actuall skill/potential. I dont think there is - at least not statisically significant enough.

conradij

Postby conradij » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:57 am

http://www.stumpedgame.com/player.php?Player=201201

18.52 -> 5/33
31.98 -> 17/40
0.45 -> 3/13
Stumped team: Pro Crastinators http://www.stumpedgame.com/club.php?Team=126

James018

Postby James018 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:18 pm

My thought is that scouts' batting, bowling or fielding are independent of each other (at least I assume so - it would make things interesting if it weren't the case!) So if there's a way to make batting/bowling/fielding averages equivalent to each other, or make a reasonable assumption along those lines, then by listing a scout's batting, bowling and fielding, you get three data points instead of just one. And if everyone did that it would instantly triple the sample size and make any conclusions far more reliable.

There's nothing inherently wrong with only taking batting averages/skills/potentials, but it does mean you need more survey responses to get the same degree of confidence in your conclusion.

Return to “Game Matters”