Second characteristic that develops later

Odin

Second characteristic that develops later

Postby Odin » Thu May 21, 2020 3:27 pm

There's been some talk about this in other threads so:

The idea is that a player can develop a second characteristic as he ages. This would begin as a secret.
Options:
-It's preset from birth and you know what is coming
-it's preset/random but you don't know what is coming
-quasi random 1. When the player reaches whatever age, a check is performed comparing batting position, bowling position, etc. A relevant trait is then applied from a small list. [this would take some planning, but might be fun to set up]
-quasi random 2. When the player reaches whatever age, we check the characteristics of older team members. Do a weighted average of the characteristics * experience-more-than-the-player of the other team members since the player started
-not random 1- as above quasirandom2, but just pick the top one
-player picks from a random list
-player picks from list then it's random
-player picks whatever characteristic
-player picks 3, then his manager's OD team opponents choose which of the 3

Alright there are lot of ways this could be done. I hold no expectation that this will ever come to pass, but if it did and it was set up well, it might be a lot of fun.

rtj45

Re: Second characteristic that develops later

Postby rtj45 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:01 pm

In my personal opinion I just dont think a developing trait is necessary.

The whole point in a trait is that its something bespoke to the player and differentiates them from another player. If they develop you could just get anything u need there and then.

They work perfectly as they are and they arent imbalanced in any way so cant we just leave them?
Manager of West Row Wyverns
Winner of the grand slam in season 13 (Dev, T20, SOD, Cup, International)
Breeder of Peach #1 bowler in the world.
Mainly does some England management stuff

mike778

Postby mike778 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:49 pm

My original idea in the characteristic thread was for it be completely random. Every player of DEV age has a small percentage chance (say 1%) of developing a new one on each birthday. Nothing would be off the table (barring stuff that isn't possible on player generation) including Precocious which would reflect the fact that in real life, some prospects crash and burn.

Just think it would spice up player development a bit. Ultimately in real life, you don't know exactly how good a player will turn out to be and this reflects that a small bit.

I wouldn't even max it out at two characteristics . Could even make a third one possible (so a player with one already has a 1% chance, a player with two already has 0.05% chance).

Get Rtjs point about it maybe cheapening traits (easier to type) if you can actually choose one.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and now also manager of the mighty South African national side.

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21
-Short League Champions - S19, S20

DEV-R0b1et
Site Admin

Postby DEV-R0b1et » Thu May 21, 2020 4:51 pm

I saw that come up... and liked that it develops in a team.. .which got me thinking of sensible ways to get it working without making the database grow significantly more (it is too big really).

My thoughts were players were "born" with only 1 characteristic ever, at training there is a pretty small chance they gain a 2nd characteristic (I guess I'd want a reasonably good chance by age 21 they have a 2nd [Not sure what that %age is per week, but I think it would be <1%]).

Where could they get if from? (it would be possible to include all of these with different weightings)
- A coach that is training them (if they were a player in the past [the game knows] a characteristic they had)
- Other coaches in the team (same rules)
- Captain of a match they played (I want to say would only apply in a T20 or SOD)

My concern is teams ending up full of the same characteristics.

mike778

Postby mike778 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:43 pm

Slightly off-topic (slightly) but I've always thought that games should have a bit more of the unknown with youth players. You shouldn't really know exactly what they are capable of in the future when they are 15.

I like the idea of a player's potential increasing slightly whilst they are a DEV aged player (can start off slightly lower than currently to retain balance) to reflect that.

Suspect this would be an unpopular suggestion though.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and now also manager of the mighty South African national side.

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21
-Short League Champions - S19, S20

DEV-R0b1et
Site Admin

Postby DEV-R0b1et » Thu May 21, 2020 9:47 pm

mostly because it makes a mockery of the name.

Zorax

Postby Zorax » Fri May 22, 2020 4:14 am

if there were to be a second characteristic that develops later in a player's career, i would rather it be completely random. Will be frustrating when your gun bat discovers the art of Flight and Guile at 22 years old, but that will just make the times they develop a relevant characteristic that much sweeter.
Zorax CC | Free HK
Five Demands, Not One Less
Learn more Here

James018

Postby James018 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:53 am

DEV-R0b1et wrote:My concern is teams ending up full of the same characteristics.

Mine too. If I were given the chance to develop whatever second characteristics I liked... late bloomer for everyone :lol: Instantly makes players 1-2 points better off in every skill and lengthens their career by half.

Having a player start with one characteristic and then develop a second one naturally is a very interesting idea. It could mitigate the annoying case where your great bowler has two batting characteristics or vice versa, if the way you play them influences their characteristic. Question is how difficult it is to implement, I think, and whether it's worth the effort.

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:26 am

James018 wrote: whether it's worth the effort.

Agreed :P. i think there are other elements of the game that could be spruced up a bit first, although this is an interesting idea certainly wouldnt be something id be overly excited about tbh.
Manager of West Row Wyverns
Winner of the grand slam in season 13 (Dev, T20, SOD, Cup, International)
Breeder of Peach #1 bowler in the world.
Mainly does some England management stuff

MOD-tonk6464

Postby MOD-tonk6464 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:58 am

No offence but I'm not a fan of this idea.

All characteristics have negatives as well as positives. I would not want one of my star players (potential or current), who I have invested a lot of time and Stumped money into, to suddenly develop a new characteristic that weakens him. Examples of this - Finisher on a player whose skill-set is ideal for opening the batting, Death Bowler on a high accuracy, high movement, low/mediocre variation seamer. Precocious on anyone (drastically shortens the longevity of their career). Superstar on anyone (that is debatable - many people don't like superstars for the negative effect they have on the team, although some people like them). If any of the above suddenly occurred, my player would suddenly become less useful, would no longer fill the role I had planned for them, and would in many cases lose significant market value if listed on the transfer market.

Allowing a new characteristic to develop randomly could significantly impact on the decisions and investments made by managers, based on randomness. This is highly undesirable IMO.

FYI, I'm sure I'm not alone in considering every aspect of a player's skills and characteristics before deciding whether I want to player in my team long-term and what role I'd like him to play. Put a different characteristic on any given skill-set and it can change whether I want the player in my team or not.

I think the current system of Stumped characteristics works very well as it currently. Characteristics of players are fixed from the start. Managers know what they are getting when they acquire a player. I think this is very desirable and I really hope it stays this way.
Manager of The Tonkers
Champions of Div.1 SOD (9 times), Div.1 T20 (10 times), Div.1 DEV and Stumped! Cup
Ex-National Manager of Australia - Champions Season 10 and 17

Return to “Suggestions”