Minor scouting suggestion tweak

Stomalomalus

Re: Minor scouting suggestion tweak

Postby Stomalomalus » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:22 pm

rtj45 wrote:
Stomalomalus wrote:No, I'm still not sold on this Rich, sorry. I think scouting just needs a bit more in the way of tweaking, rather than this.

At the moment, as I understand it, the averages are just a representation of what you might get and the player is not generated until you press the button.

And the averages only really represent the current ability, which means you can pick a 54 average bat, 112 average bowl, and get a player with 12 current, 20 potential batting, and 7 current, 40 potential bowling.

You weren't trying to pull a bowler, it just happened because the averages have no relation to the actual role of the player.

In real life, coaches will judge whether a player is a bat, bowl or keeper at a young age. Sometimes they get it wrong (Steve Smith, Kevin Pietersen), but most of the time they either get it right or get it so wrong that player will never play at the highest level.

I'd suggest something similar, and I feel it'd be much more useful.

Alongside the averages, the youth coaches give a description of what role they feel the player will turn out best as. So a player might read:

50.44 bat, 42.91 bowl, 1.08 catches - Bowling AR
37.16 bat, 112.19 bowl, 0.84 catches - Batsman
12.15 bat, 19.00 bowl, 0.24 catches - Bowler
28.19 bat, 99.82 bowl, 2.23 catches - wicketkeeper

Now we can see that the first scout's average might not quite represent his potential ability. He might end up being a 15 current, 29 potential bat with 11 current, 41 potential bowling.

Whereas pick 2 might have 9 current, 42 potential batting.

Most players will end up choosing player 2 in this list. That's not because suddenly having this description is bad, but because there are actually a shortage of batsmen in the game. Over time, this will even out and it will stop the situation like many of us have where we just consistently pull bowlers when looking for batsmen because the averages have no representation of what role the player has. And we're all trying to pull batsmen.

Yeah this works too!

I guess broadly speaking we have a similar idea, more of a kick in the right direction from the scout to allow us to actually get something that we want and of a decent enough level to compete with managers who get lucky (this was me once).

I've been relatively lucky on pulls, but more often than not I've not pulled the player I thought I'd get. I know you don't think there's a problem with pulling bats, Rob, but there is.
Manager of Pest CCC and Assistant to England NT
National Caps:
Ali Azmat (Pakistan) 9ODI, 3T20I, Kenny Sheldon (England) 7ODI, Andrew Bradfield (England) 5ODI, 4T20I, Firoz Subbanna (Bangladesh) 14T20I

Odin

Postby Odin » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:13 pm

quote:

1. It will be a modifier on the current system, So the potential star indicator diesnt list the 5 players in order of potential, it is a "modifier" to average potential of the player. In the current scouting environment, if a player has a high average they are more likely to have a higher potential as they have a higher starting skill. With the potential "modifier", it pushes the potential average up or down from it's current state ie a high average player brought down by a low potential modification may now have a similar expected potential as a low average higher potential modification player. Is this making sense?

end quote.

Ok I got it now. It makes sense thanks for re explaining.
Unfortunately I don't really see the benefit. It's more data but it's not very useful. I don't hate it though.

If we were tweaking it, let's have one talent visible. Having to choose between a fast runner or a close catcher might be more interesting.

Sorry, I don't reckon your nice idea will be enough to warrant a coding change.

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:03 pm

Odin wrote:quote:

1. It will be a modifier on the current system, So the potential star indicator diesnt list the 5 players in order of potential, it is a "modifier" to average potential of the player. In the current scouting environment, if a player has a high average they are more likely to have a higher potential as they have a higher starting skill. With the potential "modifier", it pushes the potential average up or down from it's current state ie a high average player brought down by a low potential modification may now have a similar expected potential as a low average higher potential modification player. Is this making sense?

end quote.

Ok I got it now. It makes sense thanks for re explaining.
Unfortunately I don't really see the benefit. It's more data but it's not very useful. I don't hate it though.

If we were tweaking it, let's have one talent visible. Having to choose between a fast runner or a close catcher might be more interesting.

Sorry, I don't reckon your nice idea will be enough to warrant a coding change.

Sure anything like this tbh, I just think scouting needs to get away from the complete randomness it is and implement something to help managers out and stop teams being powerful just because they scout 4 good potential batsmen.
Manager of West Row Wyverns and affiliate East Row Eagles
Winner of the grand slam in season 13 (Dev, T20, SOD, Cup, International)

Return to “Suggestions”