Playoffs

liquefry

Playoffs

Postby liquefry » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:00 am

One issue facing in any league based game is the difficulty of promotion vs relegation. In our case, you might have the second best team in your division, but if you're stuck in a group with the best team in your division you're not getting that promotion.

What if we added playoffs to promotion/relegation? At the moment the top team is promoted and bottom 3 relegated automatically. Could we perhaps switch it so that the top team is promoted, bottom 3 relegated, and (say) the second team from each league goes into a winner-takes-all playoff with the fourth from bottom in the league? Or you could make it the 5th place in the league goes into the playoff rather than automatic relegation. In any case, you get one of the upper division teams being challenged by three lower division teams for a league spot. Four teams means you'd need 3 games over two weeks to get the games in. Could mean running it during friendly periods between seasons (eg Mon/Tues = DEV playoffs, Wed/Thurs = T20 playoffs, Fri/Sat=SOD playoffs or something like that). Or just a super simple table and whoever is on top after one extra game wins - understanding that this means you'd have a team from div A playing 2nd from div B, and 2 other 2nd place games from div B. Better than nothing but not ideal.

Basically it would take a bit of effort to run. Advantage is greater potential for movement between divisions making the game just that little bit more competitive.

Thoughts?
Fictionally Inclined (Oceania - Australia youth) and affiliate Absolute Madness (America - Zimbabwe youth)

Molle

Re: Playoffs

Postby Molle » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:51 am

Two issues that you haven't addressed : In Game Training and Ticket sales.

If you want to go full tin foil hat crazy I could easily image a scenario where at Div2 team hovering between 4th and 5th, could intentionally lose their last game so that they finish 5th but back them selves to beat the 2nd place Div3 team. The loss of their 4th place bonus would be more than offset by the ticket sales and they get the (unfair) advantage of an extra games worth of training.

liquefry

Postby liquefry » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:17 am

Good point... Could just make them like friendlies I guess with no impact of training or income
Fictionally Inclined (Oceania - Australia youth) and affiliate Absolute Madness (America - Zimbabwe youth)

mike778

Postby mike778 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:24 am

But that means most of the time, half a division gets relegated. Too many surely?
Leader and supreme commander of Chester Ducks .... (and SA Ducks)

SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21 (England)
2020 Champions - S25 (England), S26 (Euro-Africa)
DEV Champions - S24 (England)
Short League Champions - S19, S20

mike778

Postby mike778 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:28 am

No from me.

There is enough movemement between divisions already. You want some stability to Foster rivalries. In Division 2, you could have 2 teams promoted and 4 relegated so 75 percent of the division moves somewhere. Too much.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester Ducks .... (and SA Ducks)

SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21 (England)
2020 Champions - S25 (England), S26 (Euro-Africa)
DEV Champions - S24 (England)
Short League Champions - S19, S20

Stomalomalus

Postby Stomalomalus » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:52 am

I also don't agree with this, even though it's led me to getting stuck a couple of times. Namely season before last in T20, which meant I'd spend another season there thanks to the reset.

I don't think you can have playoffs unless you have a slightly different league structure.

It's good as is.
Manager of Pest CCC English SOD Champions Season 25
Manager of Daft Serious CC
Assistant to England NT

Return to “Suggestions”