Transfer Market Action

Krypto

Re: Transfer Market Action

Postby Krypto » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:29 pm

Hyde is a future beast ( I would've loved to buy him for that price ) ..... he is a 1% and yea with that price you can get 2 to 3 div one players if your patient and you have the knowledge now to use it well .

This is a tactic a lot of old school players recommend , selling a top gun and buying a solid foundation and building funds over time so you can train better players to higher standard , ive seen managers say you waste a high potential player when your new as your not getting them close to potential and thus can use the funds better .

If your referring to Corbett he is in the bracket he should be IMO currently , in the state the market is you'll probably get 50% over that so its good if you can buy back players that can make up the difference . It seems playing the market has become more viable .
Manager of KryptoKnights and KandorKings
Ex South-African National Manager
National Duties: Rudi Botha (South-Africa):Johannes Opperman (South-Africa)Austin Hyde(South-Africa)
National Duties:Vimbai Martinus (Zimbabwe)

elegantyak

Postby elegantyak » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:42 pm

Even with poor coaches, new teams can train top players up very well, because they can get them lots of game time. However, a bad team with a star player is still a bad team and will win nothing. A bad team with 5 million to spend carefully and patiently on players that fit in with the team strategy can go places.

I think the mad prices will be in part down to the end of season approaching and people having big title/promotion/relegation battles to win. I had a look with a mind towards strengthen my dev team, but I'm not paying those prices!

JayTheFirebender

Postby JayTheFirebender » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:21 pm

elegantyak wrote:Even with poor coaches, new teams can train top players up very well, because they can get them lots of game time. However, a bad team with a star player is still a bad team and will win nothing. A bad team with 5 million to spend carefully and patiently on players that fit in with the team strategy can go places.

The one annoying aspect is that how so much can be dependent on pull luck. By getting 2 or 3 gun players and selling them all off to richer teams to get that 5 million or so in the bank you get the opportunity to invest in the team as a whole like you described, in the process leapfrogging over teams who may be similarly astute tactically but just have bad luck with pulls. This makes selling super talented players waaay more appealing to newer teams than keeping and training them. As you said, for a new team they will train a 50 pot player much faster than an established one due to the amount of game time that they can give, but is it really worth it if all the other players are mediocre high 30s potential players? Far better to sell the supertalent and wait for the right players to invest the newly boosted bank balance in to build the team as a unit.

Stomalomalus

Postby Stomalomalus » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:00 pm

WaddyWoody wrote:
Stomalomalus wrote:
JayTheFirebender wrote:If a team really needs a certain player and they happen to have a lot of cash then they will be more willing to overspend and err on the side of caution to make sure that they get said player. The general trends for price on the TM seem to be:

High 40s/Low 50s batsmen (or keeper batsmen with that batting potential) > 50+ potential bowlers > Mid 40s batsmen > High 40s bowlers > Low 40s batsmen > Mid and low 40s bowlers.

With fielding thrown in the prices can sway a lot more. A player like WaddyWoody's player Nhleko is very valuable to many teams. Basically the equivalent of a 43 potential batsman (should get to 37 skill)given that he has late bloomer but he's even better since the trait will preserve his skills for ages. And then he has more or less the best possible fielding in the game meaning that he will give a massive boost to fielding ratings. One of my focuses with my team is to have an elite fielding unit even if it means using slightly lower skilled players, and Nhleko would be perfect. If my team were at the stage where we had completely separate DEV and senior teams and/or we had more money I certainly would've put in a sizeable bid for him, though perhaps 500k is pushing it a bit

Also, @Krypto I think that the prices which you paid are sensible for those players, but it can also depend who is online and whether they are desperate for a player as to whether a large bidding war will occur and inflate the price of a player.

Sure, he'll stay at 36-37 skill for a long time...

But 37 skill is good enough to get into my team as an AR, not a batsman. He's currently on a par with Mason, my bowler, who is better, imo, because his skills are slightly lopsided, meaning you get more bang for your buck than just having crap/crap/crap... I mean, 13 potential in 2 of 3 skills is generally a hard no for me, as they're never going to be very good.

But it's inconsistent. One player at 36 skill can go for 500k one week, the next a player with 37 skill goes for 20k...

You seem very blinded on players ability based on what players you currently have at your disposal. Unsurprisingly, other players don't have your players at their disposal when placing bids on players. Maybe a player about to be purchased is about to become the buying teams best player, even though said player wouldn't make it into your own team! Every team is at a different stage, and has different focus', what may be a rather valuable player to one team, is useless to another, doesn't mean it is a crap purchase or rating.

Look at my transfer history. My first purchase of 100k or more was Subbanna, who cost 350k for a 43 pot bat and 20 pot keeper.

During my rise through the leagues, I used the TM to add older players for 1-2 seasons at a time. I bought players like Qasim, Zubane, Jayatilaka, Day, Konka and Rangaraj for 38,000, 30k of which was on Rangaraj. These players were 38-40 ability players with secondaries (except Zubane, though he did ok). But more than that, all of them were skewed players bought in for a specific purpose who filled that purpose. They weren't middling players.

I haven't made no mistakes on the TM, Luke Terry was 255k and a complete flop. But when I spent big (500k on Shakoor), I spent it on top quality (47 pot, can't remember his currents at the time).

Spending big money on these players isn't going to get you anywhere. Look for bargains in players who are very lopsided. Look at the players I mentioned:
https://www.stumpedgame.com/player.php?Player=121776
https://www.stumpedgame.com/player.php?Player=156201
https://www.stumpedgame.com/player.php?Player=93777
https://www.stumpedgame.com/player.php?Player=104200
https://www.stumpedgame.com/player.php?Player=151653
https://www.stumpedgame.com/player.php?Player=140920

They're all lopsided one way or the other.

I'm not suggesting everyone should be after the same players I am. But I sent a list elsewhere of a selection of TM players who I would snap up for an affiliate if my affiliate was open for all nationalities. Not many of them sold for much, they were all lopsided, and I'm pretty sure they could have done good jobs in Div2. But a player who will only ever be 37 ability is not going to be a star in Div2. And as your aim should always be to get to the top of the pile, that's not good enough.
Manager of Pest CCC English SOD Champions Season 25
Manager of Daft Serious CC
Assistant to England NT

conradij

Postby conradij » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:30 pm

It does seem the price is higher than in the past for average - good players. I'm still seeing some great players going for less than I expect so it feels the demand is coming from there being more good teams rather than a few big spenders with loads of money. I feel this is partly because of affiliates, partly more competition because of the restructures and partly increased interest from previuosly dormant managers.

The question for me is whether this is a one-off squeeze with prices settling down again, or a new normal. Or to put it another way, how will the current price of young 44(ish) potential players compare to the price of 39(ish) skilled mature players in a few seasons.
Main team: Pro Crastinators (and Tobe Determined CC)
http://www.stumpedgame.com/club.php?Team=126
Cup winners season 22
England DEV champion seasons 16 and 23

rtj45

Postby rtj45 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 am

I feel quite a lot of the market action is desperation. People feel.impulsed to buy because leagues are competitive and they are struggling more than normal yo
get results and added to this there is a lack of supply as teams are keeping players for similar reasons.

Some of the prices for players are very high imo and in the long term I think some of these prices will flatten out.

750k for a mid 40s precocious atm.... I mean....

I think in general prices have inflated so the average price of players will be higher but not this high especially for some of the mediocre players changing hands...
Manager of West Row Wyverns and affiliate East Row Eagles
Winner of the grand slam in season 13 (Dev, T20, SOD, Cup, International)

Odin

Postby Odin » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:04 am

Higher prices now should be expected.

Many affiliates started 2 seasons ago.
At this time they have accumulated money, and are looking to improve their teams as they vie for promotion. They all need the same players and they all have decent cash.

Hence, prices go up.

It may stabilise in 2 seasons when the new affiliate teams mature / the curve starts to flatten.

ashok36

Postby ashok36 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:22 am

I agree with Waddy. Nhleko seems to be initiating lot of surprised discussions. The reason why I went all-out for him and paid $500K, is very simple. I needed a 35+ player in the SOD/T20 middle order, with a good fielding trait. And he was exactly what I wanted. With Late Bloomer trait and just turning into 22, I could look forward to him playing for a long time. He possesses Captaincy skills as well at 12. Other teams may not have need and a place for him, but I do. I have other players who can and will be performing 40+ soon in batting, probably in one or two seasons. I hope this clears all the questions on why I went for such a high amount. Obviously there was some intelligent price hiking done by other managers, but that's fine with me. :)

Ashok.
Last edited by ashok36 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Krypto

Postby Krypto » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:57 am

ashok36 wrote:I agree with Waddy. Nhleko seems to be initiating lot of surprised discussions. The reason why I went all-out for him and paid $500K, is very simple. I needed a 35+ player in the SOD/T20 middle order, with a good fielding trait. And he was exactly what I wanted. With Late Bloomer trait and just turning into 22, I could look forward to him playing for a long time. He is also Captaincy skills at 12. Other teams may not have need and a place for him, but I do. I have other players who can and will be performing 40+ soon in batting. I hope this clears all the questions on why I went for such a high amount. Obviously there was some intelligent price hiking done by other managers, but that's fine with me. :)

Ashok

Thank you for this , it helps a lot to make sense of some of the price fluctuations .

If i may be bold can i ask a couple of questions .

With the financial constraints , do a player like that make his weekly salary in a div 2 club sustainable for you ? 11K a week and you have 28 squad with 3 at 11k .
Are you financially secure because you sold players or is finances not part of your decision making ?
Are you only looking at getting to the top of div 2 or are you aiming at div 1 ?
Does he fall part of your starting 11 for 3 or more seasons ? above explanation answers this partly .
Are you thinking of buying more players and are you more focused on supporting your gun players or building a strong rounded squad ?
How do you valuate ? is it regarding what you can afford or do you look and weekly and season finances ? (this can be covered in one of the above questions)
Manager of KryptoKnights and KandorKings
Ex South-African National Manager
National Duties: Rudi Botha (South-Africa):Johannes Opperman (South-Africa)Austin Hyde(South-Africa)
National Duties:Vimbai Martinus (Zimbabwe)

ashok36

Postby ashok36 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:51 am

In his first T20 game against Pest CCC, because of all this pre-match hype talk, Nhleko is out for just 1 run. Talk about pressure outside the field. :) That's OK, I hope he does well in the upcoming games.

Krypto wrote:
Thank you for this , it helps a lot to make sense of some of the price fluctuations .

If i may be bold can i ask a couple of questions .

With the financial constraints , do a player like that make his weekly salary in a div 2 club sustainable for you ? 11K a week and you have 28 squad with 3 at 11k .
Are you financially secure because you sold players or is finances not part of your decision making ?
Are you only looking at getting to the top of div 2 or are you aiming at div 1 ?
Does he fall part of your starting 11 for 3 or more seasons ? above explanation answers this partly .
Are you thinking of buying more players and are you more focused on supporting your gun players or building a strong rounded squad ?
How do you valuate ? is it regarding what you can afford or do you look and weekly and season finances ? (this can be covered in one of the above questions)

1. No, with financial constraints, making such buys won't help the team. Yeah, other two players with 11K plus are already worth it. One is England and Indolent Devils star Malcolm Wright. The other guy is another good player; whom I bought just today along with Nhleko, a 39 Current Pot RFS bowler named Marco Gee. I have 8.4M in hand, after all these current purchases.
2. Yes, I am financially secure, partly because of selling few players and partly because of strict management. Till three weeks prior, I was maintaining a very short squad of 23. From my point of view, 27 to 30 with 5M+ in bank would be ideal. If I have a considerable balance which makes me feel safe, finances won't be a part of my decision making; as you saw with this buy.
3. Currently, Indolent Devils are in Div 2 at all levels. We got demoted from Div 1 in all formats before a season or two. So with this kind of push, I'm aiming for a Div 1 seat in all 3 formats. But, this won't be happening in the current season. So, from next season, I'm targeting for that goal.
4. He falls into the $11K category, mainly because of his attacking batting, 16 pot current stamina (So that he can play both T20 and SOD in a week with full fitness) and fielding. If he performs well, (Unlike today's first game), I won't mind paying money. But I will definitely give him a long rope, before deciding to fire or sell him. A long rope means at least 15 to 20 matches accompanied with training, in my point of view. Can't train him more currently, so need to strategically place him in a proper batting position and providing him with timely, required amount of rest.
5. I do both impulsive/requirement based buying; as well as creating very strong homegrown players. I valuate a player with my own system. No.of matches, performance impact (Against Human teams, be it batting and/or bowling), their salary, my current finance, age, need of the current division's state (I may buy a pretty aged player, just to ensure I have an experienced hand to push me in the current league games. Or I might have an important cup game or friendly tournament coming up. Sometimes, I do strategic buying as well, which might not fall into any of these categories)
6. Mostly it is based on the above traits with a combo of what I can offer best. But if I have excess money, I won't think twice before going with my maximum-affordable offer, even if that's slightly expensive.

@Krypto: I hope that these points clarify all your queries. Thanks for asking mate!

Ashok.
Last edited by ashok36 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Game Matters”