Quick Questions

Krypto

Re: Quick Questions

Postby Krypto » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:21 am

MOD-tonk6464 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
mike778 wrote:Does a wrist spinner become a finger spinner if you train them in accuracy. Assume not but.... Should know this but I usually go all seam.

Yes, they can, if they're close enough to the boundary (the opposite happened to Harry Todd, who went from FS to WS). AFAIK spin types are similar to that of pace -- it's more of a spectrum than a binary classification.

Changes from FS to WS (and vice versa) are not supposed to happen - if/when it does happen, it is a bug (and should be reported in the bugs forum).

I didnt even know this , ive changed them with Pace training upwards never backwards with variation etc . Taught it was a function , done it twice intentionally a while back when is was running a high Moisture home ground .
Manager of KryptoKnights
National Duties: Uys Fouche(South-Africa):Mark Rumble(South-Africa) Aat Vosloo(South-Africa)
National players Historic. Total : 20 . 1 WK , 4 Bowlers , 6 All Rounders and 9 Batsman .

Krypto

Postby Krypto » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:03 am

What is the longest a team has gone without winning a toss in a league ?

I am currently 0 for 6 in OD and 1 for 6 in T20 So one toss win for my senior captain in 12 games.
Manager of KryptoKnights
National Duties: Uys Fouche(South-Africa):Mark Rumble(South-Africa) Aat Vosloo(South-Africa)
National players Historic. Total : 20 . 1 WK , 4 Bowlers , 6 All Rounders and 9 Batsman .

Squarebear

Postby Squarebear » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:16 am

Am I right in thinking there's an inbuilt weighting to batter success based on their position in the order?

E.g. if I had eleven equally skilled batters in my side I'd find that in the fullness of time batter 1 would perform best and batter 11 worst?

Or is this just a bad case of confirmation bias after tweaking my batting order?

Stomalomalus

Postby Stomalomalus » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:26 pm

Squarebear wrote:Am I right in thinking there's an inbuilt weighting to batter success based on their position in the order?

E.g. if I had eleven equally skilled batters in my side I'd find that in the fullness of time batter 1 would perform best and batter 11 worst?

Or is this just a bad case of confirmation bias after tweaking my batting order?

A bit of both?

AFAIK, position is relevant to individual players when taken in context with the players around them.

It's about batting to come and the score on the board already. I know my #6 isn't going to have as good an average as my #4, but that's not because he's necessarily worse, it's because sometimes he comes in late game when he only has to try and smash it out the park. So he can get out for a low score, but he's just done his job.

Meanwhile, #1 might average 35, but if he's scoring at 65SR, he's going to be putting undue pressure on your middle order. So a batsman who averages 30 but at 90SR might be better, even though his average is lower.

Also, some players just perform better elsewhere. It's about finding balance. I shifted Bradfield from #5 to #2, and then to #3, and it drastically improved the performance of the team as a whole without changing Brad's average. So his change in position benefited the team but not him personally. So the improvement for my #4 is more down to Brad's change in position than anything to do with him.

TL;DR: it's complicated. Basically, no.
Manager of Pest CCC English SOD Champions Season 25 and 26
Manager of Daft Serious CC
England National Team Manager
Winner of S27 T20 Internationals.

mike778

Postby mike778 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:24 pm

It comes down to shot choice. Pushes usually lead to better averages and lower strike rate and vice versa with attacks and slogs. Generally the higher the position in the order, the higher the ratio of push to attack/slogs. Although various other variables influence it such as match position. So all things being equal (which is never the case) higher order bats usually have better averages because they are pushing more.

Generally you want to put players into scenarios they can use their strengths and hide their weakness so it can be a waste to use your best attacking player as an opener in 50 overs as they won't use their attack as much - a player with higher defence is more useful then.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester Ducks (and SA Ducks)

SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21 (England), S27, S28, S29 (Euro-Africa)
2020 Champions - S25 (England), S26, S27, S28 (Euro-Africa)
DEV Champions - S24 (England)
Short League Champions - S19, S20

Squarebear

Postby Squarebear » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:56 am

Thanks both. That's highlighted some areas I've been turning a blind eye to. My solid yet sluggish opening pair generally leave me in situations where I need one or other of my late middle order to rattle up a rapid 70-odd, which more often than not they fail to do.

My prior question was prompted by a minor thing - noticing that a guy (11-12-7) who averages 13 batting at 9 has shown signs of improvement since I moved him up to 6.

everett

Postby everett » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:06 pm

Hi. Just started.

Have this 18yo 46 potential that looks nice for my team right now. Is he a great player to train for the future, or is it better to look for younger potential to train?

https://www.stumpedgame.com/player.php?Player=256614

Thanks!

WaddyWoody

Postby WaddyWoody » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:31 pm

everett wrote:Hi. Just started.

Have this 18yo 46 potential that looks nice for my team right now. Is he a great player to train for the future, or is it better to look for younger potential to train?

Thanks!

He is certainly worth sticking with. 46 is a good potential, he is high attacking & has complimentary trait of finisher. He also has good fielding. Give him plenty of game time and a coaching session each week and he’ll achieve those potentials and be a strong asset to your side.
Leading the Woodpeckers (main) and Wolverines (affiliate) nowhere fast.

garthmaul

Postby garthmaul » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:12 pm

WaddyWoody wrote:
everett wrote:Hi. Just started.

Thanks!

He is certainly worth sticking with. 46 is a good potential, he is high attacking & has complimentary trait of finisher. He also has good fielding. Give him plenty of game time and a coaching session each week and he’ll achieve those potentials and be a strong asset to your side.

His fitness is good enough you should be able to play him three games a week. That will get his experience and batting skills up. They are OK for a young 18 yr old. If you can get a decent batting coach on him (level 6 to 10) on him a train his attacking skill that will help get this up towards 18. Leave shot selection until the end and you should be able to get that up to 12.

and I wouldn't buy any more than 3 experienced players. You should be able to win bot leagues without them anyway. Try and get a squad of 11 youth players with decent potentials (43+ ideally) and 3 more experienced players so you can rotate any youth players that get low on fitness.

everett

Postby everett » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:50 am

Some nice advice Woody & Garth. That helps!

My good luck with that original squad member, 3 games a week and some courses for my coaches being done :)

Return to “The Beginners Section”