Season 26

paul857

Season 26

Postby paul857 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:49 pm

Everything in this post is the work of myself and may not reflect the thoughts of the current manager.

This is not a pre-election speech because (a) the next elections have yet to be announced & (b) neither Krypto nor myself have made any public declaration of our future intentions. Rather this is a few thoughts for the future of the South African national side.

Once again this ODI season we struggled to compete with the top sides. People are always debating what is the cause of this inability to win against the likes of England, India etc.

I think we can rule out the lack of available talent as the last squad of eighteen had every player with a main skill potential of at least 44 & eight of them were 50+. On my spreadsheet I have scouted a further 63 players potentially rated 44+ & eleven of them are 50+.

Therefore, I believe that SA has the potential to compete skills-wise, but we are lacking in a couple of areas.

Wicket-keeping is still an issue. The current lad (Novak) is only 21 & is potentially a 44 bat with 18 keeping. This is fine but I’d still like to see a higher skill in the batting area. I used Napier as a keeper in the last two games & it wasn’t a disaster even though he’s rated 0/8! Against NZ he let through 5 byes in 43 overs & versus Australia 0 in 28. So that raises a question for future selection.

Wrist spinners are scarce. I played Merry against Australia where he bowled 4 overs for 13 runs. His rating is 38/46 but he’s now 26 years old so he probably won’t improve much more. At the moment the only other players that are in contention are Rugby (White Room) who is 21 and rated 38/44, & Steenkamp (All In The Wrist) who is a 19 year old with 47 potential. Another area for managers who wish to have a future SA star to aim at.

Over the ODI season we have played two all-rounders & three/four genuine bowlers but going forward this may change depending on who is the manager. When we first started Krypto & I were at opposite sides of the table about this, as I preferred five genuine bowlers, but looking at our performances I have come around to have some all-rounders because our batting has been so fragile at times.

Botha, Grobbelaar & Mhlongo have done a good job but I’d like to have a spinning all-rounder option as well. Opperman is near to the aforementioned threesome however it would be nice to have a 44/50 spinner. Also, Roux is our only highly skilled fast bowler who is not an all-rounder however we do have two guys, Scholtz (Usz Warriors) & Liebenburg (Pro Crastinators), coming along nicely. Couple of areas for development by managers?

On the managerial front I would propose that the manager scouts the pyramid that he is based in & has three assistants that scout a pyramid each. This would cut down on the amount of work each has to undertake and would mean a lot less players were overlooked.

I’ve learned a lot about tactics this season & realise I need to pay a lot more attention to the state of the pitch, weather conditions & characteristics of the players. If I’m honest this lack of tactical nous probably cost us the odd win over the T20 & ODI series, but hopefully this experience will make me a better assistant at national level & manager at league level. I also realise that there’s not been a huge amount of this sort of post within the SA community, so that is some that I aim to rectify over the coming weeks/months.

A big thanks to everyone who is training &/or pulling for the Proteas. If anybody has a question please feel free to message me or post something on the forum. I log on at least once every day, so I won’t take long to get back with a response.

Summary
The Proteas are placed quite nicely for the future and we just need to be patient as the DEV players develop.
Areas to pull are keeping, spinning all-rounder and fast bowlers.
Manager of England-based White Room and South Africa-based franchise Cow Corner.

Assistant/Coach/Tactician of the South Africa national team.

Calvino

Re: Season 26

Postby Calvino » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:26 pm

Schmidt should be a fast bowler some time next season. He reached 89.1 mph in his last T20 match.

YVRK

Postby YVRK » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:27 pm

paul857 wrote:Everything in this post is the work of myself and may not reflect the thoughts of the current manager.

This is not a pre-election speech because (a) the next elections have yet to be announced & (b) neither Krypto nor myself have made any public declaration of our future intentions. Rather this is a few thoughts for the future of the South African national side.

Once again this ODI season we struggled to compete with the top sides. People are always debating what is the cause of this inability to win against the likes of England, India etc.

I think we can rule out the lack of available talent as the last squad of eighteen had every player with a main skill potential of at least 44 & eight of them were 50+. On my spreadsheet I have scouted a further 63 players potentially rated 44+ & eleven of them are 50+.

Therefore, I believe that SA has the potential to compete skills-wise, but we are lacking in a couple of areas.

Wicket-keeping is still an issue. The current lad (Novak) is only 21 & is potentially a 44 bat with 18 keeping. This is fine but I’d still like to see a higher skill in the batting area. I used Napier as a keeper in the last two games & it wasn’t a disaster even though he’s rated 0/8! Against NZ he let through 5 byes in 43 overs & versus Australia 0 in 28. So that raises a question for future selection.

Wrist spinners are scarce. I played Merry against Australia where he bowled 4 overs for 13 runs. His rating is 38/46 but he’s now 26 years old so he probably won’t improve much more. At the moment the only other players that are in contention are Rugby (White Room) who is 21 and rated 38/44, & Steenkamp (All In The Wrist) who is a 19 year old with 47 potential. Another area for managers who wish to have a future SA star to aim at.

Over the ODI season we have played two all-rounders & three/four genuine bowlers but going forward this may change depending on who is the manager. When we first started Krypto & I were at opposite sides of the table about this, as I preferred five genuine bowlers, but looking at our performances I have come around to have some all-rounders because our batting has been so fragile at times.

Botha, Grobbelaar & Mhlongo have done a good job but I’d like to have a spinning all-rounder option as well. Opperman is near to the aforementioned threesome however it would be nice to have a 44/50 spinner. Also, Roux is our only highly skilled fast bowler who is not an all-rounder however we do have two guys, Scholtz (Usz Warriors) & Liebenburg (Pro Crastinators), coming along nicely. Couple of areas for development by managers?

On the managerial front I would propose that the manager scouts the pyramid that he is based in & has three assistants that scout a pyramid each. This would cut down on the amount of work each has to undertake and would mean a lot less players were overlooked.

I’ve learned a lot about tactics this season & realise I need to pay a lot more attention to the state of the pitch, weather conditions & characteristics of the players. If I’m honest this lack of tactical nous probably cost us the odd win over the T20 & ODI series, but hopefully this experience will make me a better assistant at national level & manager at league level. I also realise that there’s not been a huge amount of this sort of post within the SA community, so that is some that I aim to rectify over the coming weeks/months.

A big thanks to everyone who is training &/or pulling for the Proteas. If anybody has a question please feel free to message me or post something on the forum. I log on at least once every day, so I won’t take long to get back with a response.

Summary
The Proteas are placed quite nicely for the future and we just need to be patient as the DEV players develop.
Areas to pull are keeping, spinning all-rounder and fast bowlers.

All fair points and a good write up. South Africa is in a bit of a development and rebuilding phase atm with a lot of young guns coming up the ranks. Super talents like Mncwabe will no doubt be SA legends if managed correctly in the future, and hopefully with growing interest in the NAT team, one day these players that have been missing from the NAT setup will be scouted and SA will have the depth that they need to become competitive. Besides, even considering that this wasn't the strongest squad, SA didn't do all that badly with a couple of wins and one or two games where it went down to the wire and we ultimately didn''t prevail. By qualifying in 1st on the table Zimbabwe have certainly shown that it's possible to be a successful team without having a huge player pool or excellent squad depth. Of course an element of luck is involved but there is a managerial learning curve at NAT level and you've been learning from your mistakes, so don't be too hard on yourself.

I think that more needs to be done to generate interest for NATs in general, there aren't that many people who follow them comparitive to Stumped's userbase and serious squad and match discussion only really happens with the bigger nations. Building a good fanbase for all nations needs to be a priority. From the SA camp there seem to be more managers taking an interest in scouting for the Proteas as well as NATs so that's a step forward :)
YVRK
Leader of the mighty penguins of of Britannia (The Penguin Squad) as well as their South African franchise team (Rockhoppers CC)

Krypto

Postby Krypto » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:41 am

Paul your going to be a absolute beast when you get all the nuances of Stumped . Good summary.

I wont make myself available in future if there is people running for management , however ill always be supportive of the Proteas and hopefully a main source of talent for the foreseeable future .

We did well and now just to move forward , we had a very young and unbalanced side , this will move forward quickly and should have a incredible squad when the new national season comes around .
Manager of KryptoKnights and KandorKings
In process of KryptoKnights rebuild
South-African National Manager
National Duties: Rudi Botha (South-Africa):Tsitsi Madlula (South-Africa)
National Duties:Vimbai Martinus (Zimbabwe)

YVRK

Postby YVRK » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:27 pm

Agreed Krypto

paul857 wrote:Over the ODI season we have played two all-rounders & three/four genuine bowlers but going forward this may change depending on who is the manager. When we first started Krypto & I were at opposite sides of the table about this, as I preferred five genuine bowlers, but looking at our performances I have come around to have some all-rounders because our batting has been so fragile at times.

This is an important point. I think for now it's probably better to prioritise batting depth since as you said, the team's batting is still prone to collapse. Having decent batting down to 8 or so will make a big difference. Again with Zimbabwe, one of the reasons that they've succeeded is because they've had bowlers down the order who are capable with the bat and could pull them through in tough situations, so SA's all-rounders like Mhlongo need to be persisted with so long as their bowling is of a decent standard. Though of course it should not come at the cost of making the bowling toothless. Obviously one can't just pick the same bowling all-rounders for every match owing to condition as well as changing pitch conditions, so a spin all-rounder would also be pretty helpful as you mentioned.

In a few seasons when the batting order is dependable I think that going with the 5 best bowlers available will probably be the go-to, though of course if they can bat that's great.
YVRK
Leader of the mighty penguins of of Britannia (The Penguin Squad) as well as their South African franchise team (Rockhoppers CC)

mike778

Postby mike778 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:19 pm

YVRK wrote:Agreed Krypto

paul857 wrote:Over the ODI season we have played two all-rounders & three/four genuine bowlers but going forward this may change depending on who is the manager. When we first started Krypto & I were at opposite sides of the table about this, as I preferred five genuine bowlers, but looking at our performances I have come around to have some all-rounders because our batting has been so fragile at times.

This is an important point. I think for now it's probably better to prioritise batting depth since as you said, the team's batting is still prone to collapse. Having decent batting down to 8 or so will make a big difference. Again with Zimbabwe, one of the reasons that they've succeeded is because they've had bowlers down the order who are capable with the bat and could pull them through in tough situations, so SA's all-rounders like Mhlongo need to be persisted with so long as their bowling is of a decent standard. Though of course it should not come at the cost of making the bowling toothless. Obviously one can't just pick the same bowling all-rounders for every match owing to condition as well as changing pitch conditions, so a spin all-rounder would also be pretty helpful as you mentioned.

In a few seasons when the batting order is dependable I think that going with the 5 best bowlers available will probably be the go-to, though of course if they can bat that's great.

Agreed with Krypto

You pretty much have to have some batting depth in Stumped - would never want to go into a game with 5 pure bowlers, that's asking for a collapse. Batting is still king on Stumped and you need some depth.

I think you need to line the bowlers up with the conditions a bit more. On a high moisture pitch, really all 50 overs should be bowled by seamers especially if there is cloud cover but quite often spinners seem to get picked - sometimes multiple spinners. And the reverse (with exception of openers) on a dry pitch where you want as many overs bowled by spinners. So if you get a pitch strongly weighted towards either seam or spin that's the easiest way to get AR in the team.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester's finest (Chester Ducks) cricket team and their affiliate side (SA Ducks)

-English SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21
-English Dev Champions - S24
-Short League Champions - S19, S20

paul857

Postby paul857 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:26 pm

I had another thought overnight about scouting. With the leagues being split into four pyramids perhaps the manager could scout his area and employ an assistant based in each of the other areas. As they are all playing other sides they would have the chance to spot potential up and coming players or even the odd one who has slipped through the net.

Another improvement would be to allow just the national manager to see players skill levels. I’d like to see this limited to just the country they manage which would save having to chase other managers. Yes, it reduces the interaction however from my personal experience this season there are a lot of managers who are not interested in the national team.

Further to this I also think there needs to be some sort of incentive for managers to get involved. These guys spend time and money training up their players and don’t see any reason why their hard work should benefit the national team. Perhaps the best idea is to pay the players salary for the week if they make an appearance?

I’m also going to keep telling people that in the current setup there is no reason why they shouldn’t have their players in the national team because they don’t gain or lose experience/fitness, and are always available for their club.
Manager of England-based White Room and South Africa-based franchise Cow Corner.

conradij

Postby conradij » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm

paul857 wrote:
Another improvement would be to allow just the national manager to see players skill levels. I’d like to see this limited to just the country they manage which would save having to chase other managers. Yes, it reduces the interaction however from my personal experience this season there are a lot of managers who are not interested in the national team.

CAN OF WORMS ALERT :!: OPEN WITH EXTREME CAUTION :!:

paul857 wrote:Further to this I also think there needs to be some sort of incentive for managers to get involved. These guys spend time and money training up their players and don’t see any reason why their hard work should benefit the national team. Perhaps the best idea is to pay the players salary for the week if they make an appearance?

I’m also going to keep telling people that in the current setup there is no reason why they shouldn’t have their players in the national team because they don’t gain or lose experience/fitness, and are always available for their club.

I agree with the second paragraph not the first - there's no cost and people are training these players anyway for their own benefit. It's difficult to see much divergenece between club team and national team interest that isn't resolved by selling the player. Having your player appear in the nat team is fun and no cost (maybe even a value boost from the cap); that should be enough. More material benefit creates the risk of real or perceived bias when managers choose players for the team.
Main team: Pro Crastinators (and Tobe Determined CC)
http://www.stumpedgame.com/club.php?Team=126
Cup winners season 22
England DEV champion seasons 16 and 23

paul857

Postby paul857 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:46 pm

Yeah, I thought the option to let managers see skills would be contentious. Suppose it could be open to abuse to help their own league team but I think we’ve managed to rid Stumped of the main cheaters. I’m trying to engage the community and I’m hoping that putting certain thoughts out there may spark more involvement.

YVRK

Postby YVRK » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:47 pm

paul857 wrote:I had another thought overnight about scouting. With the leagues being split into four pyramids perhaps the manager could scout his area and employ an assistant based in each of the other areas. As they are all playing other sides they would have the chance to spot potential up and coming players or even the odd one who has slipped through the net.

Further to this I also think there needs to be some sort of incentive for managers to get involved. These guys spend time and money training up their players and don’t see any reason why their hard work should benefit the national team. Perhaps the best idea is to pay the players salary for the week if they make an appearance?

The system that you've suggested which involves the management team taking a pyramid each for scouting sounds good, especially since there are a reduced number of domestic nations now.

I still feel like there should be some interaction between NAT managers and club managers when talking about players. As you said there is no negative from your player playing NATs either to their touch, experience, condition or availability. Personally I'd see it as a bit of a flex on another teams to have a good number of capped players playing for my own club. The feature for the NAT manager to see the skills of all the players of the respective nationality would save time, but wouldn't appeal to a lot of people and would kinda negate the hide skills option a bit. Feels a bit cheap imo, if they don't want their players to play NAT that's fine and they have every right not to reveal player skills. It's a matter of getting managers invested in NATs or at least convincing them that it has no impact on the player's contribution to club level
YVRK

Return to “South Africa”