India's tour of Australia 2020

YVRK

India's tour of Australia 2020

Postby YVRK » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:09 pm

Pretty hyped for the upcoming series between two titans of world cricket: India and Australia, who will be playing multiple series in all 3 formats. It's going to be very exciting to watch them go up against each other, though it is a bit of a shame that Virat Kohli cannot play the whole of the Border-Gavaskar test series owing to the fact that he's becoming a father soon which deprives us of a chance to see the full strength test teams of both India and Australia locking horns but oh well.

Talking about the test series in particular, the experienced players will have a huge part to play. Pujara was senational for India last time with his gritty and effective batting displays but will need regular support from his teammates this time as well as to pull out another good series performance for India's batting to thrive. India's bowling looks lethal with Bumrah, Shami and Ishant, though I'm quite excited to see Mohammed Siraj if he plays this series, even though he was a meme in the IPL for a few years, looking at his FC stats he looks like a red-ball monster with the ball, and that too in Indian conditions. However, I'll be incredibly annoyed if Jadeja isn't in the starting XI, most teams would give so much to have an all-rounder like him and yet he's still not a regular part of every test match for India despite being an economical spinner (which'll be handy Down Under), a solid lower order batsman and the world's best fielder.

From the Australian camp, their bowling attack looks revamped and confident once again, and that 3 pronged pace attack of Cummins Starc and Hazlewood will no doubt be a handful bowling in tandem, with support from Lyon. Their batting looks better especially away from the swinging conditions of England (and tbf it's not like England batted any better in the Ashes) with Warner plundering runs at home, the middle order pulling their weight and of course, Marnus Labuschagne, who's looking really worryingly for other nations like Ricky Ponting reborn at the moment. Smith will have a huge part to play in the series even though he had a quiet Australian summer for his standards (only averaged err...40 with the bat). However I don't think that the short ball ploy will work to him, Wagner who troubled him a bit a few months ago is unlike any other bowler with his bouncers only rising to an awkward chest height as well as having a left arm angle so India will need to try other ways to get him out.

I also hear tales of a 21 year old superkid pace bowling all-rounder by the name of Cameron Green who's been tearing up the Sheffield Shield with his phenomenal batting, and in his few short bowling spells that he's had this year after healing a back injury he's always looked threatening. I mean, averaging nearly 50 with the bat and 22 with the ball is ridiculous, and if he plays at some point in the series and carries on his domestic performances at the international level Australia will have the final piece of the puzzle to make their team great once again: a genuine all-rounder. India also have problems with debutants so I wouldn't be surprised if he scores 100 on debut and follows it up with some crucial wickets
YVRK
Leader of the mighty penguins of of Britannia (The Penguin Squad) as well as their South African franchise team (Rockhoppers CC)

Lunarlord34

Re: India's tour of Australia 2020

Postby Lunarlord34 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:11 am

The one who I’m looking most forward to see play is actually another kid in Will Puvoski. How’s back to back double hundreds? Averaging like 240 in shield this season, averaging 50+ in his career, and only 22! Green I’m a bit worried about his back and don’t rate him as a better bat than Puvoski, so I feel he shouldn’t play yet but should be a great experience for him regardless.

Jamie1984

Postby Jamie1984 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:21 am

Lunarlord34 wrote:The one who I’m looking most forward to see play is actually another kid in Will Puvoski. How’s back to back double hundreds? Averaging like 240 in shield this season, averaging 50+ in his career, and only 22! Green I’m a bit worried about his back and don’t rate him as a better bat than Puvoski, so I feel he shouldn’t play yet but should be a great experience for him regardless.

Yeah Will has been superb for us (Victoria) in the Shield this season, he burst onto the domestic scene and showed such promise, and then for a while was held back by both concussions and mental health issues (and I very much hope that he's come back in a healthy frame of mind) but it's amazing how he's taken to the opening position despite being more of a number 4. Back to back double tons as you said is no joke at all, even though one of them was against South Australia's bowling. He should be starting in the first XI with Warner imo, especially with Joe Burns looking out of sorts.

Pucovoski and Green are the future of Australian cricket, and I hope that they both thrive if and when they get chances at international level. With regards to Green he's only returned to bowling recently and seems to have moved more towards being a batting all-rounder who bowls short impact spells and he's remodelled his action so that his back doesn't trouble him again. However he's been really impressive with the limited bowling we've seen from him, constantly hitting that hard length and challenging the batsmen, and his recent slightly expensive figures don't do justice to how well he's been bowling with all the edges he's been inducing. And of course he's a freak with the bat, not necessarily as good as Pucovoski but for a pace bowling all-rounder? Pretty bloody good.

bumpuss

Postby bumpuss » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:57 am

I wanna see Swepson play, it will be a good test for him. Can't just rely on Lyon all the time.

Indian have a good pace attack and I actually think their spin attack isnt as good as in the past. Very defensive spinners in Ashwin, Jadeja and Yadav.

YVRK

Postby YVRK » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:09 am

bumpuss wrote:I wanna see Swepson play, it will be a good test for him. Can't just rely on Lyon all the time.

Indian have a good pace attack and I actually think their spin attack isn't as good as in the past. Very defensive spinners in Ashwin, Jadeja and Yadav.

Mitchell Swepson is one I forgot about actually, really talented leggie and I hope that he gets a chance at some point in the series as Australia do need someone to take over from Lyon as the frontline spinner eventually.

I'd say that India has a more balanced attack than they did in the past, in the 2000s era they had a few overs of Zaheer and a second pacer of the month, before giving the ball to their spinners Kumble and Harbhajan. Now their pacers are equally as effective and used as their spinners, if not more so. India's fast bowling attack of Bumrah, Shami and Ishant is most certainly better than it was in the past, and while their spinners are slightly worse than they used to be it's not by much. I disagree when you say that Ashwin and Kuldeep are defensive spinners - both do go for runs but take loads of wickets, while Jadeja is often the holding option. Australia has never been that spin friendly and nowadays the pitches are generally flat with something in them only for disciplined fast bowlers with good pace for most of the time.

Anil Kumble had a good record in Australia for a spinner because he wasn't really a huge turner of the ball, more someone who relied on utilising varying bounce to get his wickets, much like Lyon does at the moment.
YVRK
Leader of the mighty penguins of of Britannia (The Penguin Squad) as well as their South African franchise team (Rockhoppers CC)

Molle

Postby Molle » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:42 pm

Read into Sheffield Shield stats about as much as you read into the Stumped rookie scouting numbers. The gulf between Shield and international level has never been greater and the level of public interest has dipped along with it ... or was it the other way round? Either way BBL star >> T20I team >> ODI team >> Test Team will be the progression from here on out. Don't believe me? Mark my words, D.Short will get a baggy green before B.Street.*
Green and Pucovski do have oodles of talent don't get me wrong, but Bumrah and co are so vastly different to the Australia domestic seamers. Let's not forget that the same bowlers that haven't been troubling Green also haven't been troubling S.Marsh who's been in the runs again and Marsh has been found wanting time and time again at international level. Pucovski has been scoring runs along side Harris and Handscomb who have been found wanting at international level.
That being said Burns hasn't been setting the world on fire against a similar calibre opponents and the selectors have shown scant disregard for his incumbency in the past. I think he'll get the openers gig for the first two tests but that tap on the shoulder is coming. All the selectors need is the flimsiest excuse to hang it on and the heir apparent is waiting in the wings.**

YVRK wrote:Mitchell Swepson is one I forgot about actually, really talented leggie and I hope that he gets a chance at some point in the series as Australia do need someone to take over from Lyon as the frontline spinner eventually.

Alas I highly doubt Swepson will play. If Australia go two nil up, and if they do it off the back of some woeful India bowling, then maybe he's a chance at Sydney for the third test. The 4th test is at the GABBA and playing two spinners there would be stupidity personified***
If I were an Australian selector, I'd be asking Beelzebub what his terms are for Lyon to remain fit and healthy for the next 2 and a bit years to buy enough time for Pope to be a genuine option. I'm not saying Pope will be better than Swepson but a bowl off between the two will raise the standards of both.

...India's fast bowling attack of Bumrah, Shami and Ishant is most certainly better than it was in the past, and while their spinners are slightly worse than they used to be it's not by much...

I'll grant you Kumble was good but If were to rank them it'd go Kumble, Ashwin, Jadeja, Harbhajan, Yadav. Given that you'd need four or five Harbhajans to equal one Ashwin with the bat and and entire army of Harbhajans to equal one Jadeja in the field, I'd say that India's spinners are better now than they were in the late 90s/early 00s.

Very defensive spinners in Ashwin, Jadeja and Yadav.

Given Australias record against spin why set attacking fields and go for 3.5 an over and finish with 3/70 off 20, when you can set slightly defensive fields and wait for the aussies to explode and finish with figures of 3/50?

* ... I actually like Short and reckon he'll be either lifting the shield for WA or contributing solidly for Australia at the top of the order in white ball cricket in the years to come.
**Long term, I don't think opener is the perfect spot for Pucovski. 3 or even 4 would be lovely but it's harder to sell an opener moving down the order than it is to sell a 3 moving up to opener. That and Smith is averaging over 60 :shock: I just hope Australia haven't gone too early on him. I kinda thought that they'd blood him at 6, wait for a foreign non Ashes tour to do away with Burns, move Marnus up to opener ala Langer and Pucovski from 6 to 3 ala Ponting.
*** ... then again the selectors did have Finch open for a few home Tests so it's not completely out of the question :crazy: .

YVRK

Postby YVRK » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:48 pm

Molle wrote:Read into Sheffield Shield stats about as much as you read into the Stumped rookie scouting numbers. The gulf between Shield and international level has never been greater and the level of public interest has dipped along with it ... or was it the other way round? Either way BBL star >> T20I team >> ODI team >> Test Team will be the progression from here on out. Don't believe me? Mark my words, D.Short will get a baggy green before B.Street.*
Green and Pucovski do have oodles of talent don't get me wrong, but Bumrah and co are so vastly different to the Australia domestic seamers. Let's not forget that the same bowlers that haven't been troubling Green also haven't been troubling S.Marsh who's been in the runs again and Marsh has been found wanting time and time again at international level. Pucovski has been scoring runs along side Harris and Handscomb who have been found wanting at international level.
That being said Burns hasn't been setting the world on fire against a similar calibre opponents and the selectors have shown scant disregard for his incumbency in the past. I think he'll get the openers gig for the first two tests but that tap on the shoulder is coming. All the selectors need is the flimsiest excuse to hang it on and the heir apparent is waiting in the wings.**

YVRK wrote:Mitchell Swepson is one I forgot about actually, really talented leggie and I hope that he gets a chance at some point in the series as Australia do need someone to take over from Lyon as the frontline spinner eventually.

Alas I highly doubt Swepson will play. If Australia go two nil up, and if they do it off the back of some woeful India bowling, then maybe he's a chance at Sydney for the third test. The 4th test is at the GABBA and playing two spinners there would be stupidity personified***
If I were an Australian selector, I'd be asking Beelzebub what his terms are for Lyon to remain fit and healthy for the next 2 and a bit years to buy enough time for Pope to be a genuine option. I'm not saying Pope will be better than Swepson but a bowl off between the two will raise the standards of both.

...India's fast bowling attack of Bumrah, Shami and Ishant is most certainly better than it was in the past, and while their spinners are slightly worse than they used to be it's not by much...

I'll grant you Kumble was good but If were to rank them it'd go Kumble, Ashwin, Jadeja, Harbhajan, Yadav. Given that you'd need four or five Harbhajans to equal one Ashwin with the bat and and entire army of Harbhajans to equal one Jadeja in the field, I'd say that India's spinners are better now than they were in the late 90s/early 00s.

Very defensive spinners in Ashwin, Jadeja and Yadav.

Given Australias record against spin why set attacking fields and go for 3.5 an over and finish with 3/70 off 20, when you can set slightly defensive fields and wait for the aussies to explode and finish with figures of 3/50?

* ... I actually like Short and reckon he'll be either lifting the shield for WA or contributing solidly for Australia at the top of the order in white ball cricket in the years to come.
**Long term, I don't think opener is the perfect spot for Pucovski. 3 or even 4 would be lovely but it's harder to sell an opener moving down the order than it is to sell a 3 moving up to opener. That and Smith is averaging over 60 :shock: I just hope Australia haven't gone too early on him. I kinda thought that they'd blood him at 6, wait for a foreign non Ashes tour to do away with Burns, move Marnus up to opener ala Langer and Pucovski from 6 to 3 ala Ponting.
*** ... then again the selectors did have Finch open for a few home Tests so it's not completely out of the question :crazy: .

Really insightful and interesting post actually, thanks for taking the time to type this :thumbup:

It will definitely be a challenge for Pucovoski and Green if they do debut as Bumrah and co are of a higher quality than seamers in the Shield, and of course guys like Harris and even Shaun Marsh who've been figured out hugely at the international stage have as much claim to the test squad on the back of their domestic performances as the youngsters do. Though the fact that this series is taking place in home Australian conditions will help, and India have historically been crap at dealing with debutants so I don't think that either would necessarily flop if they played. However, it's been a typical mistake that all nations have made where they draft in the youngster of the month as soon as a member of the playing XI goes through a lean patch of form, which is why it's nice to see Joe Burns still being backed and in the squad on the back of his long time domestic performances and decent international record as an opener.

Regarding India's spinners, I think that the value that Jadeja and Ashwin bring to the side not only with the ball but also with the bat (and in Jadeja's case in the field) trumps the Bhaji-Kumble duo, but when it comes to bowling skill alone I reckon that Kumble is ahead, but maybe Harbhajan's career is looked upon with rose-tinted glasses. Personally I think that there's no reason that Jadeja should be left out of any Indian side because of how much he brings to the table (very much like Ben Stokes) and can't help but feel that he could've left so much of a legacy if he was actually backed consistently rather than being in and out of the team.
YVRK

Return to “Real Cricket”