India's tour of Australia 2020/2021

Jamie1984

Re: India's tour of Australia 2020/2021

Postby Jamie1984 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:36 pm

Feel a bit bad that Pucovoski was ruled out again but I hope that he'll be better for the SA tour. I do wish that Harris would carry the domestic run plundering that he does for Victoria to the international stage.

I'm still baffled by how weak our batting is, we should've got 400+ but yet our batting is so weak that India's literal T20I bowling attack (barring Siraj who is a long format bowler) managed to bowl us out no problem in a test match. With rain forecasted it looks like India will be drawing the series 1 - 1 and retaining the Border-Gavaskar trophy, and I have to say that they deserve every bit of it. Despite having no Kohli for most of the tests with the rest of their best test players getting taken out one by one due to injury, they have held strong against our full strength lineup on our home turf, and I've argued that this weakened India have actually outclassed us. Hopefully we can take some early wickets today lol

James018

Postby James018 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:44 am

I think Australia have generally been the better side in the latter part of the series, but India have fought really hard and deserve some reward for it. If they've gotten a bit lucky with the weather intervening in Sydney and the pitch holding together through the whole five days (and early indications are the same will happen in Brisbane) then it's balanced out by the fact that we were lucky to win in Adelaide having only really been on top for two hours of the match.

1-1, if it happens, will be a fair result in the end. Of course, strange things can happen, and thanks to India's battling innings today, either side can still win.

YVRK

Postby YVRK » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:02 am

Sundar and Thakur :shock:

Some really impressive batting from the two debutants coming down the order, Australia had done a great job of cleaning up India's top and middle order, India finally managed to have a great lower order partnership with Thakur scoring 67 and Sundar scoring 62 and reduced the deficit to only 32 - top effort from both of them :) . Warner looked really good in the final session but Australia will need their batting lineup to fire to get a winnable score. Hazlewood was by far the best bowler with another 5-fer and a good economy, both Cummins and Starc were quite poor with their economy but got two wickets each, Green only bowled 8 overs and is still awaiting his maiden test wicket, and Lyon only managed one wicket.

This no look six from Sundar (https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status ... 5258962955) was awesome
YVRK
Leader of the mighty penguins (The Penguin Squad) as well as their South African affiliate based in the Americas (Rockhoppers CC)

bumpuss

Postby bumpuss » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:29 am

Man of the series - Siraj?

Gonna be really tough for india. Lots of big cracks on the pitch. Unless Australia drop a lot of catches they should win.

bumpuss

Postby bumpuss » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:19 am

One of the best test series.

I feel that Australia should have rested one of their quicks last test match. Bowlers were really tired.

Great batting by Gill, Pujara & Pant!

YVRK

Postby YVRK » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:26 am

Wow. What a victory for India. Undermanned, battered and bruised, and coming off being bowled out for one of the lowest test scores in history in the first test, and going on to outright win a series against a full strength Australia on their home turf. Brilliant :clap:

The final day of the Border Gavaskar Trophy started with India 4/0 needing to chase a target of 328 to win, with all 3 results still possible. Cummins struck early in the day to send Rohit Sharma back to the pavillion cheaply. Pujara however was adamant that his wicket wouldn't fall as he partnered the youngster Gill in an excellent 100 run stand to get India their momentum back. Gill's innings was filled with class and composure as he batted his way to 91 but then fell just 9 short of a maiden test century as he edged a ball from Lyon straight to Smith as slip. Captain Rahane then came out and played his shots scoring a brisk 24(22), but Pat Cummins once again got the breakthrough as he got Rahane to edge the ball straight to the keeper while attempting to ramp it. Rishabh Pant was sent out at 5 again and formed another great stand with Pujara before Cummins at long last managed to get one through Pujara's defences with the aid of the second new ball and dismissed him for a fighting, gritty innings of 56(211). Pant started off slow initially, but then found his momentum as he started attacking the Aussie bowlers, partnered ably by all-rounder Sundar after Cummins removed Agarwal cheaply. The southpaw duo fought and inched closer and closer to making history before Lyon castled Sundar for a vital 22 as India required just 10, but the Aussies could sniff some hope as Hazlewood dismissed Thakur in the next over. Pant however, made sure that there were no miracles as he drove Hazlewood through the covers for the winning runs to end on 89*(138), sealing what one could argue as India's greatest overseas test series victory of all time.

It was a fantastic, closely fought series at all times, but India were better and won key moments despite being constantly depleted by injuries. The youngsters stepped up big time and I'm sure that we will be seeing a lot of Gill and Siraj in the years to come. However, the experienced hands such as Pujara, Ashwin and co also played a big part this series and used their experience to overcome this mountain of a challenge. Obviously there are still bits to work on and India will hope that guys like Agarwal will rediscover form but overall it has been positive. However, what impressed me the most was Rahane's captaincy. Calm but attacking, not shying away from the pressure but embracing it - even in the times where Australia were on top he did not give up and stuck to his guns. I wonder whether India will consider making him captain full time...I certainly would...

Australia will feel disappointed, and understandably so. This was a series which they were expected to comfortably win against India's full strength team with 4-0 predictions from many pundits. But they have been outclassed this time, not only did they not thrash a team that they should've walked over, not only did they fail to win, they outright lost, and I can imagine that this will sting for a long time especially as the loss came at a ground which has been a fortress for 32 years beforehand. The careers of Wade, Paine and even possibly Lyon will be under scrutiny now, while Starc probably needs a good rest. It's not all doom and gloom though as Cummins, Labuschagne and Hazlewood were excellent this series despite not being backed uo. Green had a good first series with the bat and will be looked at as a long term option while Smith made an excellent comeback after a nightmare first two games.

As for the Test Championship standings, India now only need to draw their home series against England to get to the final though in all likeliness I can't see us winning more than one test in India, but this BG trophy has shown never to take underdogs for granted and I think that India will take us really seriously. Australia have to win their series away against South Africa in South Africa, but even with Protea cricket going through a rebuild atm, their win record against Australia in recent times is incredibly impressive so I predict that Australia will have a tough time of getting to the WTC final since any SA team seems to suddenly play like an all time great team whenever they play the Aussies.

Great series, I hope that everyone enjoyed it as much as I did :)
YVRK
Leader of the mighty penguins (The Penguin Squad) as well as their South African affiliate based in the Americas (Rockhoppers CC)

Jamie1984

Postby Jamie1984 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:19 pm

Pretty dark day for Australian cricket . It's one thing to lose 2-1 to a full strength Indian team with the likes of Kohli, Jadeja, Bumrah, Ishant and co - this series was always gonna be tightly contested no matter what the pundits said, and I wouldn't have minded this result if we were facing a full strength India. But the bowling attack that took apart this test had a combined total of...6 test caps between them? Probably just shows the depth of India's talent but seriously, our batting lineup was kept quiet by a bowling attack that India picked for the T20s (iirc Natarajan was initially a T20 net bowler on this tour). Of course huge props to India, they showed tremendous courage and grit and against all odds, injuries and inconveniences they still beat us, the mark of a truly great test team and the best in the world

The whole team needs to be looked into. As good as Smith's comeback was, him being kept quiet early in the series showed just how much we rely on him to bat. Labuschagne has been the other one carrying the burden of the batting. As for openers we are shockingly short in that departement, I hope that Pucovoski continues to find success there and I guess that he'll be partnered by Warner but we do need to start looking for options other than the latter, Harris just cannot translate his Shield form to the international stage. Green has had a good series in the middle order and should be persisted with but his bowling has looked incredibly ordinary, he doesn't manage to create the chances off his bowling like he does in the Shield, but he does have the potential and I really hope he continues bowling as he is our best all-round prospect in ages. Wade's career looks like it is over, he's done a serviceable job but I feel that his spot in the team this series was more "thank you for batting in every position and adapting to an alien task" rather than the fact that he's good enough. Only problem is that Head has shot selection issues and honestly isn't much better than Wade, but I guess that either Head or maybe Maxwell will be our number 5. With bowling, Cummins and Hazlewood have been excellent but Starc has looked drained, best to give him a rest and give Neser or Pattinson a go. I think that we need to stop thinking of Lyon as a lock in the team, his bowling recently has been ineffective and expensive and as good a job as he's done I think we need to start looking at other options too and he needs some competition to really start working hard.

As for Paine, well, after outright losing a series at home against a severely weakened India I think that his tenure will soon be coming to an end. He's done a good job over the last 3 years repairing the team after sandpapergate, but this series has confirmed my thoughts beyond doubt: he's a good man manager but a horribly average captain on the field. His decision making for the whole series has been suspect, and while he's batted ok, he isn't even doing a good job in his primary discipline any more, as a keeper he has put down a lot more chances than a top quality gloveman should do. . I think that we should start to look at future captaincy options (Labuschagne? Cummins?) as well as starting to bring the likes of Carey and Inglis into the squad to eventually take over from Paine as wicketkeeper.

liquefry

Postby liquefry » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:55 am

Made me wonder... what would a younger Australian XI of players under 30 look like? Maybe:

Two openers from Pucovski / Bancroft / Harris / Renshaw / Weatherald
Labuschagne
[who can replace Smith???] Bancroft? Sandpapergate will forever mark his career. Maybe one of the many openers can bat down the order.
Head
Green
Keeper - Inglis or Carey (who is already almost 30)
Cummins
three from Richardson/Swepson/Abbot/Parris/W Agar/A Agar...

Not exactly intimidating right now but perhaps with time future stars will emerge from this bunch or other youngsters out there.
Fictionally Inclined (Oceania - Australia youth) and affiliate Absolute Madness (America - Zimbabwe youth)

Molle

Postby Molle » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:52 pm

Code: Select all

22   Street
28   Whiteman      
25   Solway      
25   Heazlett      
27   Wildermuth   
25   Inglis*      
24   Hatcher      
22   Bartlett      
26   Kelly         
21   Pope/ 27    Swepson      

21   J.Sangha***               
23   Phillipe***         
27   Turner***
27   Swepson
3 Quicks of your choice. Meredith, Doggett and ?

Street is a stupidly early call. He bats time allowing those lower down the order to shine. Selfless or talentless? Hopefully more of the former.
Whiteman is the other other form opening batsman of the shield before it all took a break. Moved around the order a bit and fancied himself a keeper at one stage. I fear good shield batsman is his ceiling but I'd be happily proven wrong.
Solway is the aussie Pujara. Has batted everywhere from opener to 5 and combined with Street could be disastrous and yet, I like him.
Heazlett is flashy and streaky. When he's on he makes batting look easy. When he gets out it looks ugly or worse, lazy. Technically he's capped due to one ODI (against NZ? I think) but if you can't remember the game, does it even count?
*** Sangha to my highly subjective eye, has the most potential to be a international 4 or 3. I don't know Phillipes best position yet and Turner is one of the better cricket brains going around and has ODI and T20 experience on his side. Pick one or pick two and jettison Solway or Street OR pick 3 and play with out the all rounder Wildermuth.
Wildermuth is the allrounder that no one wants to talk about. He's seemingly as much chance of an aussie call up as I am. Bats top 6, bowls first change.
Inglis is arguably better with the bat than Carey but does come in after a better top order. Carey is far from perfect with the gloves and Inglis keeping to spin doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy he's got youth on his side. Carey does have white ball incumbency though.
Hatcher is the rarest of rare beasts. No not an allrounder, rarer than that; A smart fast bowler. If Cummins breaks down the glass ceiling to the batsman only captains club, this guy could be the next one. I have nothing to back this nonsense up with other than a feeling but if we're playing armchair selector, what else do you have to work with?
Bartlett is young and fast and a QLDer. What's not to like? Raw but if he can keep on progressing while avoiding injury, QLD should be lifting some silverware and an australian call up isn't out of the question.
Kelly is opening the bowling for WA and doing a damned fine job of doing so with out luck. He ran up against a red hot Pucovski and still escaped with figures of 3 for 80 odd. Tall and quick yet miserly.
I'm not sure if you know, and it'll never be mentioned, but Pope took 8 for against England in the U19 finals. Unfortunately he's still riding off that with a FC average in the 70s yet he's young and a leggie and took that 8 for against england in the U19 finals. Can't bat and looks a little like Ronald McDonald with out the perm and did you know that, at the U19 finals, he took an 8 for against England?
Vs
Swepson has been wracking up the frequent flier miles with the Test team and no doing much else. The fact he's not a first XI lock for his state doesn't help but a leggie at the GABBA is usually an extravagence rather than a necessity. Bowls a bit flat for my liking but what would I know about the dark arts of wrist spin.
There's usually the whisper of the next great fast bowler going around. Meredith is the Tassie version, Doggett the QLD. I'm sure the crow eaters will have their version as well and they're, as yet, unrepresented in my squad.

This would be my Australia A squad of uncapped players* to go with the previously Test capped Harris, Bancroft, K.Patterson, Renshaw, Head, Maddinson, M.Marsh, A.Agar, Pattinson, Neser, J.Richardson, Sayers.

Jamie1984

Postby Jamie1984 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:03 pm

Good thoughts Molle. Personally while I think that Carey is decent, I don't see many reasons as to why he should be preferred over Inglis as a keeper. Inglis has always been a better keeper, and while the pundits have said that Carey would be a better fit as a test batsman, his average in FC is only 36, and Inglis is rapidly catching him up in that regard with a phenomenal Shield season with the bat so far, so I'd argue that he's a better keeper and almost a better batsman than Carey as well as being 3 years younger. But then as you said Carey plays for South Australia and so often has a tougher job given their frequent collapses, so I can see management giving him a surprise debut as a pure batsman at 5 in a test series, idk.

I think that we need to take Australia A games seriously first of all. Have a stable A team with regular team members and allow a feeder system of the best talent from the Shield into the test team via the Aus A side. That's what India have done over the past few years and they've had their youngsters (Gill, Siraj etc.) adapt to the test scene quickly because of the India A games that they have played all over the world.

Return to “Real Cricket”