FIFA WORLD CUP

RedSox

Re: FIFA WORLD CUP

Postby RedSox » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:57 am

I thought you meant he was bad at the end of the la liga season, my bad, since you actually meant end of the 2017 year. I'm always used to 'seasons' when discussing sports rather than 'calendar years' so that threw me off.

Everyone one goes through poor form, so did Ronaldo. As he improved towards the back half of the season, it clearly suggests he isn't over the hill yet and is finding ways to overcome poor patch of run. Anyhow, he's still an elite player and will still be for a couple of seasons more, IMHO.

Admiral

Postby Admiral » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:50 am

Admiral wrote:I think France and Croatia will play finals

:D :D :thumbup:

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:32 am

RedSox wrote:I thought you meant he was bad at the end of the la liga season, my bad, since you actually meant end of the 2017 year. I'm always used to 'seasons' when discussing sports rather than 'calendar years' so that threw me off.

@redsox

Fair enough. Hard to read things when there are walls of text.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Belgium vs England.

Belgium were the deserved winners. They created much more clear cut chances and finished them. This game just showed that Eden hazard can still be world class. I have a gut feeling that after years of touting Hazard might finally show what he is fully capable of in the sarrismo system. England were immediately pegged on the back foot through a Meunier goal in the 5th minute itself. Meunier scored through a great cross by Chadli. Defensive mistake by Rose cost england,I think stones could have tried to cut it out but not sure. England were still in the game as they were able to get around the Belgium final third. In the second half Rashford and Lingard replaced sterling and Rose. Somewhere around the 50th minute Stones was trying to catch Hazard so badly that he got rightfully booked. Lukaku has been the best striker this world cup but the guy gotta learn how to control the ball. His first touch is very poor. KDB slipped a through ball through stones's legs and Lukaku allowed Pickford gathered it cause of a poor touch. It was a second one on one chances wasted due to poor touch with the first being in the 16h minute. The second one was criminal though. But belgium dont have another good striker and its fine, Lukaku played well(apart from this match) and he is often gave pep talks this WC, he is a leader. Few more chances and then lets see. He linked up well with midfield this WC. It didnot cost belgium the game though as England barely created anything . Only Iran created less chances than england this WC. If they played more,maybe England could have been the worst chance created team this WC.9 minutes after coming Lingard put a ball for kane and he couldnt get a touch on it. A very good chance but that ball was far from kane.
Dier had a near perfert run after playing some 1 2s with rashford , he chipped the keeper but Alderweireld with a world class goal line clearance.
Phil jones got bested by Hazard again(second time in a span of two months). He simply got beaten by hazard on his way to goal. Another individual defensive mistake.
But the future looks good for England. This squad is young. They will get better. Southgate have a clear plan. From Roy Hodgson nightmare Euro 16 to this semi final(not much convincing though), England have come a long way. Couple of good midfielders and a decent left footed left wingback, England will look great. Need to utilize the second striker role also. Due to poor midfield kane was dropping deep way too often(he is a false nine but also the best finisher in he team so he gotta stay up most times). Sterling as advanced forward or poacher failed miserably. And also Kane couldnt do anything of note since group stages. He Scored the most goals but feels like the most underwhelming golden boot winner since Torres in 2013 confed cup. Wondering if Wilshere was worth a pick ahead of Delph. Arsenal fans say he played well since the start of this year. Maybe even Shelvey? As a backup to hendo instead of dier? He played well towards the end of season, i remember him bossing Pogba at old trafford. Southgate did well with the squad he had considering the injures to Ox and Lallana.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:46 pm

In other unrelated news to WC, Sarri replaced Conte again. So now in the top 6 teams only Manchester United have a manager with a defensive style of football.

Also Hazard has indicated that he might leave Chelsea but also clearly said that his future is the hands of chelsea board. But then again the board are good people for letting players leave for their preferred clubs. See Matic.

Return to “Other Sports”