FIFA WORLD CUP

Alucard

Re: FIFA WORLD CUP

Postby Alucard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:07 am

If you watched the entire season then you will observe a noticeable difference in Ronaldo's quality towards the end of the season. Mediocore defenders were able to keep Ronaldo in check easily. And Ronaldo has clearly stated in the past that he wants to retire at the top level so CHINA doesnt appeal him due to the lack of competetion. The assumption was same for the MLS. He wont ever come back to manchester.Real Madrid and Manchester united had their relations weakened in the past three years. Morata is the latest example of this. Then again I dont think that Mourinho will work again with Ronaldo. On top of all this, Manchester already have three right footed left wingers including Alexis who is among the highest earners in the league. Then, the league is nothing like it was when he left. It has become much more physical.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:17 am

And I think Real madrid need to buy a couple of Forwards. Benzema has been clearly past his prime for a couple of years and Bale wasnt trusted by Zidane due to his inability to play regularly. Lopetegui likes Isco (Isco always play really well for spain)and Asensio very much if his press conference from the Spain management days is anything to go by. Perez havent spent big in like three - four years and he must be itching for a new signing. Problem is that not a single guy is available to fill Ronnie's big boots that is also also profile for marketing.

Stomalomalus

Postby Stomalomalus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:52 am

Alucard wrote:Sterling needs to go. He is a horrible finisher. 2 goals in 42 caps is defender stats. He is not creative enough to get assists and he also does not do his primary job of scoring goals as a striker. He should have scored that 1v1 off a Henderson pass or else just pass it to kane or Alli. Next match Vardy should start, similar pace and more pressing with better finishing.

I'm going to disagree on this. Sure, his finishing is pure filth, but his movement caused problems in all 3 games. And this England team is built around the idea of creating space. It would be lovely to have another attacking mid/support striker who can actually finish, but we don't.

Sterling's pace, movement and low centre of gravity make him an extremely valuable part of this team and that's why I'd keep him there instead of Rashford.

The dropping off, pulling wide, running through and interplay between Sterling, Alli and Lingard is essential to beating Croatia. If they play Rakitic and Modric in midfield, they will be all over them. If Brozovic comes in, they will pull Vida all over the place. I think Southgate realised we only have one good finisher in Kane and built the team around creating space for him. When he does get the ball, he scores. What, 6 goals from 11 shots?
Manager of Pest CCC English SOD Champions Season 25 and 26
Manager of Daft Serious CC
England National Team Manager
Winner of S27 T20 Internationals.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Stomalomalus wrote:
Alucard wrote:Sterling needs to go. He is a horrible finisher. 2 goals in 42 caps is defender stats. He is not creative enough to get assists and he also does not do his primary job of scoring goals as a striker. He should have scored that 1v1 off a Henderson pass or else just pass it to kane or Alli. Next match Vardy should start, similar pace and more pressing with better finishing.

I'm going to disagree on this. Sure, his finishing is pure filth, but his movement caused problems in all 3 games. And this England team is built around the idea of creating space. It would be lovely to have another attacking mid/support striker who can actually finish, but we don't.

Sterling's pace, movement and low centre of gravity make him an extremely valuable part of this team and that's why I'd keep him there instead of Rashford.

The dropping off, pulling wide, running through and interplay between Sterling, Alli and Lingard is essential to beating Croatia. If they play Rakitic and Modric in midfield, they will be all over them. If Brozovic comes in, they will pull Vida all over the place. I think Southgate realised we only have one good finisher in Kane and built the team around creating space for him. When he does get the ball, he scores. What, 6 goals from 11 shots?

@stomalomalus
What is the point of creating space and running into channels if the player is unable to exploit it. Sure, it puts pressure on defence and midfield but gotta take advantage of that. Danny welbeck can also offer the running behind the defence option. And also Welbeck has a good scoring record for England. Also im not sure if Alli, Lingard and Henderson in a midfield three can hold their against Modric, Rakitic and Kramarić with kovacić coming in as a sub towards the final minutes of the game. They will have to play really well to battle the Croatian midfield which have been the best this WC second only to France.

Kane scores when he gets the ball but what if he is man marked or double marked? Or simply a bad day at the office.
Whenever players get a clear cut goal scoring opportunity and they dont take it, they usually go back home( see Brazil in that game vs Belgium and Belgium in that game vs France yesterday).

Stomalomalus

Postby Stomalomalus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:29 pm

Alucard wrote:
Stomalomalus wrote:

@stomalomalus
What is the point of creating space and running into channels if the player is unable to exploit it. Sure, it puts pressure on defence and midfield but gotta take advantage of that. Danny welbeck can also offer the running behind the defence option. And also Welbeck has a good scoring record for England. Also im not sure if Alli, Lingard and Henderson in a midfield three can hold their against Modric, Rakitic and Kramarić with kovacić coming in as a sub towards the final minutes of the game. They will have to play really well to battle the Croatian midfield which have been the best this WC second only to France.

Kane scores when he gets the ball but what if he is man marked or double marked? Or simply a bad day at the office.
Whenever players get a clear cut goal scoring opportunity and they dont take it, they usually go back home( see Brazil in that game vs Belgium and Belgium in that game vs France yesterday).

England have one of the best chance taken %ages in the WC.

Welbeck is a direct runner, he has no guile. Ditto Vardy. Both of them are good against tired legs as they'll exploit the ball in behind. We're not going to do that. We need someone between Kane and the midfield to do the running.

Sterling isn't there to finish chances, he's there to create space for Kane.

The midfield can cope perfectly well, so long as we can get hold of the ball. The issue is if Croatia manage to get the ball out wide to Perisic before Trippier can get back. But with Walker there to cover, that's not a huge issue, either. Actually, we look perfectly set up to play against Croatia. The French would/will cause more direct problems with the midfield screen, deep defence and the pace of Mbappe.
Manager of Pest CCC English SOD Champions Season 25 and 26
Manager of Daft Serious CC
England National Team Manager
Winner of S27 T20 Internationals.

RedSox

Postby RedSox » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Alucard wrote:If you watched the entire season then you will observe a noticeable difference in Ronaldo's quality towards the end of the season. Mediocore defenders were able to keep Ronaldo in check easily.

I completely disagree with this, I've watched him play all season, and he single handedly willed them to the CL final, where he didn't put in a performance in the one leg game. He still has another year, maybe two at the top. He is the Tom Brady of soccer.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:15 pm

RedSox wrote:
Alucard wrote:If you watched the entire season then you will observe a noticeable difference in Ronaldo's quality towards the end of the season. Mediocore defenders were able to keep Ronaldo in check easily.

I completely disagree with this, I've watched him play all season, and he single handedly willed them to the CL final, where he didn't put in a performance in the one leg game. He still has another year, maybe two at the top. He is the Tom Brady of soccer.

I was talking about league performances. Its not an exaggeration to say that he was an passanger in the earlier league games. And no , he didnot single handedly willed them a CL final. Modric , Kroos Ramos along with Varane did their part. Casemiro sheilded the defense really well considering that Kroos is poor defensively and marcelo leaves his position too often. Navas made some great saves(that save of higuain against juventus was de gea or Neuer level )
Also idk about tom brady so I cant really compare him to Ronnie.

RedSox

Postby RedSox » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:36 pm

You could take any other player out of their team, they would've still made the CL final. If you took Ronaldo out, they weren't making it. That's what my eye test told me.
Tom Brady is in our football (North American), and he is the GOAT.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:05 pm

RedSox wrote:You could take any other player out of their team, they would've still made the CL final. If you took Ronaldo out, they weren't making it. That's what my eye test told me.
Tom Brady is in our football (North American), and he is the GOAT.

Umm I dont think so. But then again there is no way of knowing unless we use FM or some other simulations(not the most accurate but maybe the best we got) Real madrid dont have much defensive cover. Take out Ramos and they lose their best leader and defender, he is a big threat in the box when you need a goal. Take out Varane and Ramos will get exposed as he wanders into the midfield to provide some support sometimes, real madrid play a high defensive line and this is where Varane Pace and tackling ability is needed. Modric is the guy they use to transition the ball from defence to attack during counter attack (ala Pogba in Manchester united, Silva in city) and also Modric is the best box to box mid in the world. And it is well known and widely accepted that Kroos is their Engine. Kepa may be a good goal keeper but can he replicare Navas performance against Juventus and Bayern? I dont think so. Marcelo and Carvajal are literally the best full backs on the planet when it comes to consistently delivering a high quality cross. Considering that Zidane's tactics is to mostly cross the ball especially using his diamond formation,taking the full backs will be a big blow to Real.

RedSox

Postby RedSox » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Replacing their fullbacks, or mainly Marcelo (2nd most important player on their team IMHO), may be a problem, I agree. However Ronaldo's goals would be impossible to replicate.
Nacho would have covered for central defence, kiko in goal, Kovacic for Casemiro and then there were other under-used players in MF/WG such as Asensio, Isco, Dani, Bale who would have filled in/increased their role.

Return to “Other Sports”