Div 1 Season 38, the last title race.

Lunarlord34

Div 1 Season 38, the last title race.

Postby Lunarlord34 » Fri May 24, 2024 2:33 pm

Interesting start to the season, if only for the fact Tonks lost by the BP to newcomers Pickersleigh to put the rest of the league on notice to not underestimate them!

Meanwhile, we entered the season as defending champions with the second youngest starting XI (the youngest being Bobs who are also the second highest rated), and got off to us good a start as we could ask with an 8 wicket win over GVE, who thumped us by nearly 200 runs last season first time we played them so nice to not have a similar margin first time this season round :geek:

Though there are a lot of concerns on a bowling front, as usual. Sigh. Hlubi was fine but expensive in his wicket taking ways with 4-61, and Das was typically brilliant in his 2-36 from his ten with 3 maidens. The two main suspects starring again is to be expected, but hopefully others share the load a bit more. Though Lamula and Ndonga were certainly servicable, taking 1-39 and 1-40 respectively, but Hubbard was expensive for 1-66. Mthombeni top scored with a rapid 91 for GVE and was well supported by Brown's 57, and with some late hitting 243 was respectable but I always felt comfortable chasing that down.

Hyde, who's chasing the leading all time runscorer for the club record in general as well as SOD, and Sherwell, last seasons leading runscorer, both got starts but went pretty early, Sherwell unusually sedate as well. But that left it to rising star Yeni and the man still considered one of the best in the business despite being 31 and a half in Rodgers to put us back on track, and oh boy they made sure no one else would pick up the slack afterwards. Rodgers was particularly brutal in his 102* off 97 balls, smacking all comers to all parts as Yeni brought up yet another ton from the number 3 slot, a composed 107* off 122 for a career best SOD score. The uh, less talked about GVE's bowlers the better I suppose as only Gosling got a wicket and no one could really apply pressure either, and only generating the one missed chance in what was a masterclass with the bat by Yeni and Rodgers.

Still, they walk away with a point, us with the 4, as start the season in 4th spot after 1 round. Still desperate to try and add a bowler into our mix I feel, but pretty happy to see Tappin walk away with a fair few catches as he's our only proper keeper in the squad so his improvement will be huge for our chances as the season progresses.

MOD-tonk6464

Re: Div 1 Season 38, the last title race.

Postby MOD-tonk6464 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:52 pm

That first match was annoying - exactly the type of match we can't afford to lose if we are to be contenders for the title. Very well played by Pickersleigh though.

Very happy with the result of the second match though. We don't beat GVE when losing the toss very often. And always very happy to beat GVE. They have inflicted so many badly timed defeats in the past (from my team's point of view) when my team was in close contention for titles and they weren't.

I'll be surprised if The Reds don't win this title. It's yours to lose Lunar. ;)
Manager of The Tonkers and affiliate team Marvellous Effort That
Champions of Div.1 SOD (10 times), Div.1 T20 (15 times), Div.1 DEV and Stumped! Cup (3 times)
Ex-National Manager of Australia - Champions Season 10, 17 & 28

Return to “Oceania”