SOD Div 1 S27

mike778
Posts: 1314
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: SOD Div 1 S27

Postby mike778 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:33 pm

Devil's advocate time...

Looking at the Krypto game. The pitch had low wear without massive extremes in terms of moisture and so on so was very good for batting. If West Row set a very high MAS then its not out of realms of possibilities that Fergie could have a career day. They went for it and it came off. Quicker bowlers tend to be more economical so a good batting line up with a high MAS against medium pacers has a chance of scoring big.

On a low wear pitch with both teams going for it then it's boom or bust, you can easily collapse or hit a huge score. Both teams did the latter

This sort of thing does happen in real life.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester Ducks .... (and SA Ducks)

SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21 (England), S27 (Euro-Africa)
2020 Champions - S25 (England), S26, S27 (Euro-Africa)
DEV Champions - S24 (England)
Short League Champions - S19, S20

mike778
Posts: 1314
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: SOD Div 1 S27

Postby mike778 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:37 pm

The standard of the batting in this division is very high. I am normally confident in my bowlers to defend decent scores but scores I expect to be enough have been chased down.

Very tough for bowlers in this division.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester Ducks .... (and SA Ducks)

SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21 (England), S27 (Euro-Africa)
2020 Champions - S25 (England), S26, S27 (Euro-Africa)
DEV Champions - S24 (England)
Short League Champions - S19, S20

YVRK
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:05 pm
Location: Worcestershire, England

Re: SOD Div 1 S27

Postby YVRK » Fri May 07, 2021 2:40 pm

Krypto wrote:I disagree , i have lost interest , even if my end batsman gets close or over the line , the fact that it doesnt make sense to me broke the illusion .

Still decent to have quality opposition however if there isn't much sense to it , your results is mainly up to chance which in same cases is fine however not when its a game producing over 700 runs .


To be fair runfests do happen from time to
time where the bowlers get demolished and you have 200 or even 250+ run partnerships. I mean, a few years ago Rohit Sharma was hitting ODI double centuries for fun so this kind of thing definitely does happen in real life.

Understandably the match engine does give wacky results from time to time but it isn’t perfect, nor should we expect it to be given that the developers made it as a hobby project without earning a penny from it. It is still the best cricket management ME out there imo.

Also your lads finished it without breaking a sweat. Rumble seems furious at his omission from the NAT team and is trying to attract the attention of South African selectors through his club exploits haha.
YVRK
Leader of the mighty penguins (The Penguin Squad) as well as their South African affiliate based in the Americas (Rockhoppers CC)

South African NAT assistant (Season 27)

mike778
Posts: 1314
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: SOD Div 1 S27

Postby mike778 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:48 pm

YVRK wrote:
Krypto wrote:I disagree , i have lost interest , even if my end batsman gets close or over the line , the fact that it doesnt make sense to me broke the illusion .

Still decent to have quality opposition however if there isn't much sense to it , your results is mainly up to chance which in same cases is fine however not when its a game producing over 700 runs .


To be fair runfests do happen from time to
time where the bowlers get demolished and you have 200 or even 250+ run partnerships. I mean, a few years ago Rohit Sharma was hitting ODI double centuries for fun so this kind of thing definitely does happen in real life.

Understandably the match engine does give wacky results from time to time but it isn’t perfect, nor should we expect it to be given that the developers made it as a hobby project without earning a penny from it. It is still the best cricket management ME out there imo.


Yep, this was a bit bonkers.

One positive from a ME was the bats who did the damage were internationals or former internationals so it's high quality players having a field day in good batting conditions.

At least the players acted rationally. Rtj following orders to go big and Kryptos bats responding by playing to match situation. Compare that to battrick where batsmen will happily play out a a maiden in the 48th over whem 1 wicket down.

But yeah the teams involved are going to be a bit bemused by the runs given up.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester Ducks .... (and SA Ducks)

SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21 (England), S27 (Euro-Africa)
2020 Champions - S25 (England), S26, S27 (Euro-Africa)
DEV Champions - S24 (England)
Short League Champions - S19, S20

mike778
Posts: 1314
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: SOD Div 1 S27

Postby mike778 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:50 pm

And yes I know its easy to say that about a game you aren't involved in especially after how our game finished last week...
Leader and supreme commander of Chester Ducks .... (and SA Ducks)

SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21 (England), S27 (Euro-Africa)
2020 Champions - S25 (England), S26, S27 (Euro-Africa)
DEV Champions - S24 (England)
Short League Champions - S19, S20

YVRK
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:05 pm
Location: Worcestershire, England

Re: SOD Div 1 S27

Postby YVRK » Fri May 07, 2021 3:01 pm

mike778 wrote:And yes I know its easy to say that about a game you aren't involved in especially after how our game finished last week...


Definitely. Can’t imagine how gutted rtj45 must be feeling right now: two winnable SOD games snatched out of his reach thanks to some ridiculous match engine twists. It was admittedly quite entertaining to watch as an outsider though :mrgreen:

Although Kryptonites vs West Row will be stealing all the headlines, I also noticed a similar (albeit smaller scale) chase by the Pro Crastinators against Pest. The RRR was something like 8 RPO and Mncwabe casually destroyed Pest’s bowlers to saunter to the target with plenty of time of spare.

The fact that 7-8 RPO can be a cakewalk in Div 1 when 5 wickets down just goes to show how strong the batting is there.

It also begs the question: is a strong top or middle order more important? A strong top order will set the platform and prevent early collapses but then you won’t be able to accelerate and cross the finish line without good middle order batsmen. A strong middle order would help in the daunting chases but if your top order is made of wet paper then the middle order will be exposed too early and will struggle to play defensively. Obviously having both is ideal but just wanted an opinion from more experienced managers.
YVRK
Leader of the mighty penguins (The Penguin Squad) as well as their South African affiliate based in the Americas (Rockhoppers CC)

South African NAT assistant (Season 27)

Krypto
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:31 am

Re: SOD Div 1 S27

Postby Krypto » Fri May 07, 2021 3:41 pm

YVRK wrote:
Krypto wrote:I disagree , i have lost interest , even if my end batsman gets close or over the line , the fact that it doesnt make sense to me broke the illusion .

Still decent to have quality opposition however if there isn't much sense to it , your results is mainly up to chance which in same cases is fine however not when its a game producing over 700 runs .


To be fair runfests do happen from time to
time where the bowlers get demolished and you have 200 or even 250+ run partnerships. I mean, a few years ago Rohit Sharma was hitting ODI double centuries for fun so this kind of thing definitely does happen in real life.

Understandably the match engine does give wacky results from time to time but it isn’t perfect, nor should we expect it to be given that the developers made it as a hobby project without earning a penny from it. It is still the best cricket management ME out there imo.

Also your lads finished it without breaking a sweat. Rumble seems furious at his omission from the NAT team and is trying to attract the attention of South African selectors through his club exploits haha.


I read through most of it and you definetly have valid points however this game showed a lot of fatel flaws, a declining bat with no standout getting top score and his hs ever is puzzling, with my team yes I need to get wickets but my teams fielding is low rated, 2 run outs doesn't make sense, maybe the first due to fatigue but I'm happy with dolly catches and bowler wickets like lbw etc. I play to that.... In the bowling section I expect Opperman to do well in any condition as he is a top end player however rtj top wicket taker is a spinner aswell. So some issues, my batsman by far is my strength thus my flat home ground....however a 800 tin shouldn't then be the result and give above mentioned results just becuase there needs to be so many runs, in this case 300 or 310 would've been more realistic. It breaks the illusion for me and major gripe...
Manager of KryptoKnights and KandorKings
Ex South-African National Manager
National Duties: Uys Fouche(South-Africa):Johannes Opperman (South-Africa)Mark Rumble(South-Africa)
National Duties:Vimbai Martinus (Zimbabwe)

Krypto
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:31 am

Re: SOD Div 1 S27

Postby Krypto » Fri May 14, 2021 11:50 am

Some very interesting things happening again in div 1 .....

Waldron Wanderers well on their way to post a large total on a wicket that indicates 240 odd should be a good score .

Chester seemingly struggling to post 200 on a decent wicket .

WRW in doubt of getting to 300 against the minnows .

Pest in good position to score the the highest of the round for the teams batting first so no real drama there accept the mid order collapse .
Manager of KryptoKnights and KandorKings
Ex South-African National Manager
National Duties: Uys Fouche(South-Africa):Johannes Opperman (South-Africa)Mark Rumble(South-Africa)
National Duties:Vimbai Martinus (Zimbabwe)

mike778
Posts: 1314
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: SOD Div 1 S27

Postby mike778 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:05 pm

Krypto wrote:Some very interesting things happening again in div 1 .....

Waldron Wanderers well on their way to post a large total on a wicket that indicates 240 odd should be a good score .

Chester seemingly struggling to post 200 on a decent wicket .

WRW in doubt of getting to 300 against the minnows .

Pest in good position to score the the highest of the round for the teams batting first so no real drama there accept the mid order collapse .


Looks like we will set something to bowl at even if a bit under par. Batting to 10 getting us slightly out of the hole. McKinnon batted at 7 for England a few weeks ago so must be one of the best 10s.
Leader and supreme commander of Chester Ducks .... (and SA Ducks)

SOD Champions - S19, S20, S21 (England), S27 (Euro-Africa)
2020 Champions - S25 (England), S26, S27 (Euro-Africa)
DEV Champions - S24 (England)
Short League Champions - S19, S20

conradij
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:31 am

Re: SOD Div 1 S27

Postby conradij » Fri May 14, 2021 12:12 pm

mike778 wrote:
Krypto wrote:Some very interesting things happening again in div 1 .....

Waldron Wanderers well on their way to post a large total on a wicket that indicates 240 odd should be a good score .

Chester seemingly struggling to post 200 on a decent wicket .

WRW in doubt of getting to 300 against the minnows .

Pest in good position to score the the highest of the round for the teams batting first so no real drama there accept the mid order collapse .


Looks like we will set something to bowl at even if a bit under par. Batting to 10 getting us slightly out of the hole. McKinnon batted at 7 for England a few weeks ago so must be one of the best 10s.


:shock: :( :sick:
Main team: Pro Crastinators (and Tobe Determined CC)
http://www.stumpedgame.com/club.php?Team=126
Cup winners season 22
England DEV champion seasons 16, 23 and 25
Season 26: Runner-up, in everything


Return to “EurAfrican”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest